JAP SAT NAV ETC

When I got my DC5 two months ago it came fitted with a Pioneer Avic ZH9MD Carrozzeria system.The radio works to an extent but I have been told that I need to have a waveband extender fitted to make it work properly.It automatically stores cd's on the hard drive and the previous owner said that it should store up to 200 cd's which is great.The main query that I have is does anyone know if it is possible to get the sat nav,tv or dvd player to work in this country?If so at what cost.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Hi Phillip...yes you need a Band Expander to use the radio in this country...I`m not sure about the sat nav etc but most people on this site have found it far easier to buy a UK spec ICE unit to replace the JDM units rather than fiddle about trying to get the Jap stereos to work...HTH :wink:

Hi Dunx,can you tell me if the expander makes a big difference and is it easy to fit or do you need to know what you are doing.

Breeze

Band expander is dead easy, just disconnect the plug for the aerial, plug in the band expander (in line) and hook up a power wire. The easiest spot in the teg is the LHS kick panel. You will see the aerial plug in the gap between the kick panel and the dash. Pull off the kick panel, plug in the expander and one of the wires in the nearby loom is an accessesory 'ON' 12V wire, just stick the end of the 12 wire in there. Very easy to remove at a later date if required and not a permanent mod. Takes about 10mins (2 if you know where the wires are).

A band expander shifts the frequency band of the radio so that even though the stereo reads 81.0 it is actually 101.0 (depending on the scale usually between 14 and 20)

gaz3434

Advanced Member
phillip taylor said:
does anyone know if it is possible to get the sat nav,tv or dvd player to work in this country?If so at what cost.
I don't think it is possible to get the sat nav or TV to work in the UK. For the sat nav, you would need a Pioneer CD with the UK maps on it, which is expensive and may not work anyway. The TV will be on the inferior NTSC system (not PAL as in the UK) and therefore will not work over here. The DVD player should be Region 2 (the same as Europe) but I'm not sure if it'll work due to the NTSC/PAL thing; the only way to find out is to try a DVD in it!

As dc5-2ltr says, most people just opt for a UK unit as it saves any messing about. I got the Pioneer DEH-P70BT (http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=10477&taxonomy_id=25-121)with an iPod adapter and 40Gb iPod and it has Bluetooth so I can use my mobile hands free. I'd also recommend the Kenwood DDX7025 if you want to keep the DVD and TV features. Here's a link to that: http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=8&k3=57&pr=1633

Good luck with it all anyway!