Japanese Import lubricants - Not suited to UK?

Teggs

Having just imported my car it is very apparent that the tyres are probably only suited to about 2 months of UK weather. Is it likely that it has other elements that might not be particularly suited to our climate i.e. the current oils that it might be running?

Obviously I am very aware of the need for sub-3K revs prior to the engine reaching running temperature and after having a DC2 on 120K miles that never seemed to use a drop (always Silkolene pro S 5W-40) I'm keen to make sure that I'm doing the best to ensure a healthy engine. Would a full oil change (including gearbox and LSD) be useful to put my mind at ease?

Seems like some pretty clued up people post on this thread - always trusted opie -and would be interested in an expert opinion and other owners views.

Cheers,

Teggs.

Chewy

Advanced Member
If it's a fresh import and you have no idea what oils it's running and how old they are, for me personally the price you pay to swap it all out and the piece of mind that comes with it is more than worth it...

nellly

Advanced Member
as always with a new car unless you know the last time it was serviced give it one. its costs next to nothing to swap the oil out. i would have expected the import company to do that anyway.

Rom

Advanced Member
There is such a thing as different climate fluids.
For example Cold Climate PS fluid.

But its unlikely Japan would use anything vastly different than us.
But as said, id always change all fluids on a new cars anyway. My box didnt have mtf in it. I dont know what it was, but it was practically clear, much more so than new mtf is.

As for sub 3k revs until engines warm, thats a new one to me. Keeping revs that low will labour engine, and increase warm up time. Certainly dont be trying to redline it, but sensible normal driving is all you need. Most engine damage is done at start up. If your cold viscosity is too high, thats when wear occurs, as it doesnt coat everything fast enough.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yeh, you shouldnt be able to engage vtec while the engine is stone cold, but it doesnt stay below 3000 or anything like that when you are driving it.