JDM speed limiter HELP?

pau_teg08

hi guys, as per the title, one day i noticed that hitting vtec at 5th gear roughly around 7k rpm and speed was roughly between 110mph-120mph. i seem to just bounce off at 7k. Im guessing its the jdm standard factory speed limiter?
the car was imported by torque GT and i have contacted them about this by their records dont go as far back (imported at 2012) the speedo is already on MPH not kmph.

can anyone shed light on how I get this removed/blocked etc?
any help is much appreciated!

thanks!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
pau_teg08 said:
hi guys, as per the title, one day i noticed that hitting vtec at 5th gear roughly around 7k rpm and speed was roughly between 110mph-120mph. i seem to just bounce off at 7k. Im guessing its the jdm standard factory speed limiter?
the car was imported by torque GT and i have contacted them about this by their records dont go as far back (imported at 2012) the speedo is already on MPH not kmph.

can anyone shed light on how I get this removed/blocked etc?
any help is much appreciated!

thanks!
What‘s the registration (can them check if it was converted and advise more but sounds to me like the limiter as that‘d be at 112mph which would be 180kmph on the dial (Rev range wouldn‘t matter) but worth seeing all mots since import to check

pau_teg08

carl hammond said:
What‘s the registration (can them check if it was converted and advise more but sounds to me like the limiter as that‘d be at 112mph which would be 180kmph on the dial (Rev range wouldn‘t matter) but worth seeing all mots since import to check
hi carl, my teg is definitely been converted to MPH but it still is stopping me going pass 112mph. i was under the impression that if it was converted to mph, the speed limiter would be gone too?
registration is L20 TEG
thanks!

Mike9000

Advanced Member
Last year Torque converted mine to MPH on arrival and I payed a little extra (£48) for the delimiter to be fitted.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
hi carl, my teg is definitely been converted to MPH but it still is stopping me going pass 112mph. i was under the impression that if it was converted to mph, the speed limiter would be gone too?
registration is L20 TEG
thanks!
I can see from the MOT's that the initial one was done in KM then the next in miles with an odometer change so the conversion was done straight away and I am surprised if the kit didn't do everything, the kits I have personally installed delimited and converted my DC2 :-/

I assume based on Mike's reply that it's not a single converter to do both things like it is on a DC2, maybe worth asking them what Kit they normally use as mines from them and was done and has a full conversion, also worth seeing if a part of the conversion kit's come loose or something, maybe it's failed.

Who did you buy the car from did they mention it at all?

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Sounds like the limiter is still in place. Conversion from KM's to Miles doesn't remove this; it has to be done additionally. I'll drop you a PM.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
gaza4 said:
how often does one be driving 112mph+ for this to even be an issue?
Should be never unless on track, sadly mine hardly even sees vtec unless it‘s on track as roads here are pants for my cars setup :)

ste01

Advanced Member
They'll be a brown wire that needs connecting up to bypass the limiter. I had my previous car imported by them in 2013 and to bypass the limiter it needed a few extra wires connecting to the converter. Darren sent me a how to but I can't find it now. I just remember the brown wire haha. It is an easy job though

lewis87

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Should be never unless on track, sadly mine hardly even sees vtec unless it‘s on track as roads here are pants for my cars setup :)
I had a JDM MX5 that wouldn't even hit the 112mph on track! Only eventually realised it had the limiter when hammering down a long downhill straight after owning the car for ages ha.

pau_teg08

lewis87 said:
I had a JDM MX5 that wouldn't even hit the 112mph on track! Only eventually realised it had the limiter when hammering down a long downhill straight after owning the car for ages ha.
i dont really do it xD just dont like the idea that its there aha all psychological i guess lol

pau_teg08

ste01 said:
They'll be a brown wire that needs connecting up to bypass the limiter. I had my previous car imported by them in 2013 and to bypass the limiter it needed a few extra wires connecting to the converter. Darren sent me a how to but I can't find it now. I just remember the brown wire haha. It is an easy job though
hi bud, yea someone from torque just pm'd me the details and sounds like the same thing that youre saying. is yours working now or "bypassed"? aha

Hughdc5

Has anyone got any instructions on how to do this? Or images?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I was under the impression that the speed converter transformed the signal to from KPH to MPH, and the only limitation was then our cars won‘t get to 180mph.

I‘m off to Spa and the Nurburgring in October so better check mine beforehand. Haha please share any info on which wires need adaptations.

Thanks in advance

Hughdc5

Just had a reply from Mike at Torque on how to do this, he sent me this:
If Delimiting is required, follow the below instructions :-
Locate the engine ECU behind the carpet trim, below the glove box. Unplug the Grey ECU plug.
Locate a White / Green wire : Pin 4 : Centre Row.
Cut the White / Green wire 4cm from the plug and insulate the LOOM side.
Join a length of wire to the PLUG side of the White / Green wire.
Re-fit the plug and neatly run the extended wire back to the converter.
Join the wire to the converter BROWN wire.

Hughdc5

And the converter if it's a Torque should be hidden behind the speedo I believe