Jerky throttle.

Kenz

Advanced Member
Hi, looking to see if anyone has had this issue before.

In the middle of summer I noticed my car began to surge ever so slightly on long trips, part throttle at 80mph for example, you could feel the car hesitate slightly every now and then. I just put it down to the hot weather we were having.

But the problem now seems to have got worse, at lower speeds in lower gears, 20/30mph 2nd 3rd and 4th on and off the throttle the car is really jerky and jumpy. I know a few people may say it might be the tps but can the tps go out of calibration over time?

I was also thinking it could possibly be engine mounts? Maybe not the surging at motorway speed but the lower speed issues maybe?

Any input welcome, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Check TPS, check voltages with a Fluke. 0.5V closed throttle and around 4.7V WOT.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Kenz

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Check TPS, check voltages with a Fluke. 0.5V closed throttle and around 4.7V WOT.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
Hi kenz I've got a similar issue

I get that lurch jerky motion in low revs at low speed about 5 to 10mph. Makes rolling in traffic very awkward.

I'm unsure if tps, or primary 02

Reason why I think it's the 02 is because I'm using fuel at an alarming rate, £30 will do about 100 miles without Vtec and granny driving.

Sorry to hijack your post.. just wondered if you're getting poor fuel with this issue.

I've heard the tps can also make fuel consumption poor.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lynchdc5

I too have this problem . The jerking doesn't happen all the time though .

I also have a problem when I'm coming up to a junction once I take the car out of gear it will just hold the revs at 2krpm and then drop them if I quickly dab the throttle .

I'm starting to think it's the tps.

Rameezali

Mine is doing the same thing, can jerk quite bad in 1st/2nd gear when driving slowly or feels like it is trying to rock the car. Also when releasing the throttle in most gears can cause a slight judder or jerk. Really annoying especially in traffic. Will need to have a look at my tps and see if any codes are coming up.

Teggs

Hi kenz I've got a similar issue

I get that lurch jerky motion in low revs at low speed about 5 to 10mph. Makes rolling in traffic very awkward.
I might be entirely wrong here, but I think this could be a special feature of the integra :xgrin:

AFAIK these cars feature a lightened flywheel, this allows for a much better throttle response but because it does not have the mass it makes low speed/low revs driving more problematic. Taken to it's extremes in race cars / F1 cars you'll see noobs stalling a car with 800+ BHP at low revs. The lighter weight gives less inertia to the engine.

Taken from the homepage of this lovely website...

The new Honda Integra Type R has an ultra-lightweight forged chrome-molybdenum steel flywheel fitted. A lightened and balanced flywheel makes the car more responsive and gives instant power when the driver accelerates
So embrace the shaky and be proud to drive jerky!

Someone with more mechanical knowledge might be able to clear this up, I could be talking a load of old haddock!

ste01

Advanced Member
Tegs are always a bit prone to kangaroo from my experience with the couple I've had. Check throttle cable for stretching, I have tightened mine up in the past and it makes a difference

Kenz

Advanced Member
Ive noticed the problem seemed to get worse over time though, or so it seemed. I had a RPC flywheel fitted in June or July so it might have been more apparent after that possibly. My car has been sorned for a few weeks now and hasn't moved or been started in a month, so ill have to try address the issue next year now.

ste01

Advanced Member
Of course it will get worse after a lightened flywheel. It's the fact it comes from the factory with a "light" flywheel that contributes to the low speed/throttle characteristics in the first place