JRSC Help

Tim_85

Right. I'm getting a little bit hacked off chasing a couple of BHP here and a couple of BHP there so I've decided to stop whining and go for the JSRC. This is a fairly recent decision so its still in the early stages which is why I'm trying to pool together some information. I've done a search which has given me a good grounding but now I'm looking for some user opinions.

The Teg is used as a daily driver for me and I would like this to remian the case. I'm a little bit dubious about forced induction on such a high compression engine. Would I be better off looking at something like a Rotrex low boost? Does anyone on here run a supercharger on their DC5 and use it everyday? If so any reliability issues?

I understand that this is quite a vauge post but any opinions are appriciated.

cheers

AndyGreen

I ran an 8psi (280-290bhp) Jackson kit on my old EP3 Civic R that i used daily - 2 years 25kmiles. Kept it well serviced with frequent oil changes and didn't have any problems with it, and it was a huge amount of performance for the money!

However, i'm not sure how long an engine lasts, the guy who bought it from me has reported white smoke on start-up so that could be the start of problems, although i think he drives it hard.

Could be worth checking out what spec the Atom runs, I think it's 4psi or go for a built engine with a Rotex unit.

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
Id keep the boost very low from what I have read - about 5 psi.

I still think intake / cams / manifold / K pro and decat exhaust will keep an SC car honest!

Tim_85

Thanks for the comments guys! Much appriciated.

Mark : where have you read about them cuz I cant seem to find any reviews anywhere!

As far as I'm aware JR do two kits, a low boost(5psi) and a high boost(8 psi). I think the 5 psi offers a better balance between performance and reliability although I havent seen any comparisons between the two kits.

At first I was telling myself:

"Think about traction" and "Think about reliability" and "Think about resale"

Now I'm just telling myself:

"Stop being such a wet fart and get on with it!!!"

Yambo

Advanced Member
Mate its a dodgy route in my opinion, speak to Paul at System R about
it.

Does the engine come under mega stress when the VTEC kicks in with a JRSC?

Don't turbo and supercharged engines run at lower revs due to the
increased pressure?

I remember someone on here showing a DC5 rod compared to a renault
5 Turbo rod after it had blown out of a K20, the R5 Turbo rod was more
substantial if I remember rightly!!

Tread carefully Tim, but if you do do it take me for a spin, I'll probably end up doing it too lol!! :D

jonster

Advanced Member
Best thing to do is come to a track day where quite a veriety of Tegs are attending and get passenger rides in each. I managed to keep up and even pass a SC Teg at my last trackday with my NA Teg on the straights.

Tim_85

Again, thanks for the replies.
This is why this forum is so valubale.
Especially when making desicions (expensive ones :lol:)

Yambo: Cheers for the advice mate. Yeah I saw that post when I did the search. The bits of piston rings etc. in the sump didn't look too clever either. Did sort of put me off. I'll speak to Paul tomorrow or go down and see him on friday and I'll give you a PM if I do get it done and head down to Frodsham.

Jonster: Always have to hold myself back from track days cuz I really want to do one but I'm quite wary someones goin to go straight into the side of me of im gunna put it in a gravel trap!

Seems like the general concensus is dont get one!
Was very impressed with a Rotrex CTR that took me out at a RR day at system R and thats what sort of started all this. But I guess I'll just have to wait till I talk to the experts. I'll report back my findings from Paul when I speak to him.

Wootty

Advanced Member
jonster said:
Best thing to do is come to a track day where quite a veriety of Tegs are attending and get passenger rides in each. I managed to keep up and even pass a SC Teg at my last trackday with my NA Teg on the straights.
Hey - that was me.... :lol:

What he means is that its about more than just power - driver ability is probably 90% of it :lol:

Actually if I remember correctly it was the twisties where you caught me and my usual phobia about having someone up my ar5e meant I indicated and let you through xthumbup so not quite as much of a head to head drag as you make out :D

jonster

Advanced Member
Wasn't going to name names :lol: Was you foot really to the metal? Or didn't you mention your KPro map needed a tweak?

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Wooty, you run a low psi JRSC don't you? Just out of interest, what bhp and torque figures is your engine making :?:

Wootty

Advanced Member
jonster said:
Wasn't going to name names :lol: Was you foot really to the metal? Or didn't you mention your KPro map needed a tweak?
Foot was not really down all the way through the floor as it was hard coming out of some of those corners and flooring it and staying in a straight line :lol: So more of a progressive pressure than a stamp. I was presing the metal though by the end of the session but my skills are outweighed by myconfidence. Need more trackdays.

My problem with trackdays is the fear of getting bumped by someone else so as soon as i get in traffic I back off or just let people through if they look like they are in a rush.

Map needs a tweak too as there is a bit of a flat spot at vtec

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Mine is similar to Wooty's and Julian's(Sharpey's old one!!). Got the 3.4' pulley on the charger, and it peaks at ~6psi of boost. This is giving ~280@Fly and ~250@wheels. Any modification will introduce extra wear, so no point in saying that running ITB's + other bits are super safe!!

Problems will occur if you up the boost much more as it introduces more heat in the intake charge as the supercharger becomes less efficient. An intercooler would alleviate this, but is only available for Rotrex type superchargers at the moment. :cry:

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Would probs go for a stroker kit if I wanted extra poke....probs give round 250 odd bhp and may be more reliable..should cost around the same as a JRSC I would think :wink:

rarerims

dc5-2ltr said:
Would probs go for a stroker kit if I wanted extra poke....probs give round 250 odd bhp and may be more reliable..should cost around the same as a JRSC I would think :wink:
Stroker kit and reliable.. :lol:

Anything you do to them will make it less reliable..

Tim_85

Good Feedback. I like it!

Spoke to paul earlier today. He said that even the 8psi JRSc woud be fine aslong as i didnt drive it like a nob! He said if you treat it like a turbo (warm up warm down) and keep up regular servicing it should be fine. Now i'm stuck cuz i've really been looking into ITBs so not sure?!

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Screamingvtec said:
dc5-2ltr said:

Anything you do to them will make it less reliable..
Bit of a general statement Julian....

If you modify the whole 'system' with the correct choice of components... then you may find that life of the 'system' will go up.... as long as regular maintenance is performed i.e. servicing...

If any does a JRSC conversion on a K20A engine... keep the boost to 5-6psi max.... any higher and your asking for trouble...

I've been their done that... now have the t-shirt and bank balance...

Mike

rarerims

MJ Type-R said:
[

Bit of a general statement Julian....

If you modify the whole 'system' with the correct choice of components... then you may find that life of the 'system' will go up.... as long as regular maintenance is performed i.e. servicing...

Mike
IMO if you alter things from the way Honda intended, you would be lucky to increase the engine life over standard..

Stroker kits by definition are going to wear the engine faster, due to higher pistons speeds..

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment I guess, mainly due to the unreliabilty of my own stroked B18.. :lol:

From my own experience I have found that force induction seems to be kinder to the engine than major NA tuning..

Big cams are harsher on valvetrain, stroker kits increase piston speeds and make life harder on bearings, more RPM also has the same effect..

That said done right it should last, unfortunatly there are not many people in this country that do 'do it right'

Virtually EVERY highly tuned B18 in this country has died prematurely..

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Screamingvtec said:
That said done right it should last, unfortunatly there are not many people in this country that do 'do it right'

Virtually EVERY highly tuned B18 in this country has died prematurely..
You said it yourself.... not many people can do it right.... maybe only 'one / two' if the truth is known.

The comment upon forced induction is a little simplistic, from my experience on the K series... if it's not done correctly, running above 5-6psi will cause problems, even at that level the wear levels will be increased over std.

For a Honda tracked based car... I would go the NA route, maybe a low PSI turbo (very low). But, with both options, as I said above the whole 'system' requires looking at, rather than just a few bolt on areas...

Mike

timp

Advanced Member
dc5-2ltr said:
Or just get yourself a K24 engine, would be cheaper and you wouldn't need to open it up.

As for the JR, life will depend on your foot surely. The higher the speed of the pully the more compression right?

Are these ones made by Jackson or under licence, the moss motors ones were renowned for screwing up do a search for the horror stories.