JRSC Questions

Copeland93

Hi Guys,

Im after a bit of advice. Im looking at buying a charge cooled JRSC Setup, wanted to know a few things

1. What sort of power is the stock fuel pump good for?

2. What sort of power/Boost can the stock bottom end take?

3. How often does the JRSC need to be rebuilt

4. How reliable a setup is it in general?

Appreciate all of your answers, struggling to make my mind up whether to buy the kit atm, as i use the car as a track toy, not much of a daily so i want to know if itll handle the abuse okay

Cheers,
Josh

itrboi

Advanced Member
Here for the comments, I'm busy prepping for a rotrex install in the next few months :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indi

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

Im after a bit of advice. Im looking at buying a charge cooled JRSC Setup, wanted to know a few things

1. What sort of power is the stock fuel pump good for?

2. What sort of power/Boost can the stock bottom end take?

3. How often does the JRSC need to be rebuilt

4. How reliable a setup is it in general?

Appreciate all of your answers, struggling to make my mind up whether to buy the kit atm, as i use the car as a track toy, not much of a daily so i want to know if itll handle the abuse okay

Cheers,
Josh
Hi Josh

I am running a Merc racing charge cooled setup on my DC5 which isn't a daily, mainly used for track/weekend car when the weather is nice.

1. I am running 332bhp and the stock fuel pump seems to cope just fine although when it gets to around quarter of a tank you can experience fuel surge just after a long sweeping corner on track so ideally Walbro 255 fuel pump would be beneficial (one of my next mods) or just keep it above quarter of a tank fuel when driving spirited.

2. I think K20a is capable of 380bhp safe power on stock internals from what I have read but there are few people running quite a bit more on stock engine and it seems fine.

3.My JRSC had just been rebuilt when I bought it but one of my friends with a track EP3 has been running his JRSC for nearly 20k now and no rebuild.

4. It is a reliable setup only horror stories you hear are belts snapping but that's usually when people run a manual tensioner and don't adjust the belt properly.

Copeland93

Indi said:
Hi JoshI am running a Merc racing charge cooled setup on my DC5 which isn't a daily, mainly used for track/weekend car when the weather is nice.1. I am running 332bhp and the stock fuel pump seems to cope just fine although when it gets to around quarter of a tank you can experience fuel surge just after a long sweeping corner on track so ideally Walbro 255 fuel pump would be beneficial (one of my next mods) or just keep it above quarter of a tank fuel when driving spirited.2. I think K20a is capable of 380bhp safe power on stock internals from what I have read but there are few people running quite a bit more on stock engine and it seems fine.3.My JRSC had just been rebuilt when I bought it but one of my friends with a track EP3 has been running his JRSC for nearly 20k now and no rebuild.4. It is a reliable setup only horror stories you hear are belts snapping but that's usually when people run a manual tensioner and don't adjust the belt properly.
Thanks for the info Indi! I had a feeling I'd have to put a walbro in it anyway, from what I've been quoted, the setup I've got should reach around 340bhp, as I'm running a 3" exhaust and cams. Glad to here there are no major issues with the kit!

What sort of boost pressure does yours reach?

And do you think there's much more potential power left in yours?

Cheers,
Josh

Indi

Advanced Member
Copeland93 said:
Thanks for the info Indi! I had a feeling I'd have to put a walbro in it anyway, from what I've been quoted, the setup I've got should reach around 340bhp, as I'm running a 3" exhaust and cams. Glad to here there are no major issues with the kit!

What sort of boost pressure does yours reach?

And do you think there's much more potential power left in yours?

Cheers,
Josh
It has a lot more potential as I'm only running 7psi boost due to slight belt slip at top end of the rev range (7k onwards) otherwise it should be running 9psi with my setup, TDI north said this can be sorted if I replaced the belt with few mm shorter belt, but I don't feel the need for any more power to be honest as its a nice setup at 330bhp. Also I'm running a Fujitsubo RM01a which is a 2.38" system and quite restrictive, with a 3" system, tighter belt and 74mm TB probably would see around 355bhp.

Copeland93

Indi said:
It has a lot more potential as I'm only running 7psi boost due to slight belt slip at top end of the rev range (7k onwards) otherwise it should be running 9psi with my setup, TDI north said this can be sorted if I replaced the belt with few mm shorter belt, but I don't feel the need for any more power to be honest as its a nice setup at 330bhp. Also I'm running a Fujitsubo RM01a which is a 2.38" system and quite restrictive, with a 3" system, tighter belt and 74mm TB probably would see around 355bhp.
Ah awesome, what size is the belt that you've got on it for now? You're on a smaller pulley as well aren't you?
I want to get it right seeing as tdi is a 350 mile trip for me!

Indi

Advanced Member
I'll get the belt code for you later when I'm back from work but yes I'm using the Merc racing 2.95" pulley :)

kyle'87

Advanced Member
Sorry to hijack the thread, can someone answer this for me as I want to supercharge in the future (2 yearish).

JRSC = Comptech Super Charger (Same company different name?)

JRSC > Comptech in terms of quality?

Comptech is designed towards the american RSX? (I don't know how different the RSX is over the JDM DC5)

George657

Advanced Member
Will second Indi's comments, I had a couple of issues at the beginning of the year with regards to the belt but that was on the silly Manuel tensioner JR supply with the kit. Fitted a Merc bracket to allow the original tensioner setup to be used and been good as gold since.

Last I heard the supercharger isn't required to be serviced until 100000 miles, but I could be wrong. TGM said they rarely service them and rarely have problems.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Indi said:
I'll get the belt code for you later when I'm back from work but yes I'm using the Merc racing 2.95" pulley :)
If you're running a 2.95" pulley you should definitely be more than 7 psi. Mine with 3.2" pulley and oem crank pulley was 7 psi. On the dc5 set up your should see 5 psi with 3.4" pulley,7 psi with the 3.2",9 psi with the 2.95" and around 10-11 psi with the 2.85". Then change crank pulley to ep3 one for another 2 psi or to the k24 one for 1-2 more psi.
Belt slip I suppose would reduce that but that means it's pointless running your 2.95" pulley without tighter belt.

integraleo

Advanced Member
And as for stock fuel pump, personally I wouldn't go much more than 300hp on it. Mine was pretty much at its limit at 308...replaced for Deautchworks one when ep3s crank pulley fitted to take it to 321. A 3" exhaust would have seen power rise to 340hp and if pulley had been swapped out for the 2.85" I had it would have gone up to 360 ish at 12-13psi. But that's risking belt slip as due to having power steering where it is the belt coverage gets a bit small. You can however relocate power steering to where air con is apparently with a bracket for a huge amount of belt coverage. The maximum you could run would be around 14-15psi with the 2.85" pulley and k24 crank pulley but the heat generated at that boost will be very high and not recommended for extended track use. Last option then is to go for meth injection but if you were going that far for power I'd just go turbo instead lol