J's Racing Strut Bar Advice

skengdR

Advanced Member
I got a used js racing strut bar and I got a few questions .

1st question is regarding installation , it came with no bolts just the strut bar as what you see in the photos. Any advice on what to use and where to get them from?

2nd question is regarding the engine damper , Ive read that this is best for track use and you shouldnt use it if the car is a a daily . Ive also read about a knocking noise that you get from it when going over bumps . What do you guys know and think ?

3rd question is about refreshing it ? I could probably do this on my own , any advice on rust removal and brands/types of spray paint ? Id want to go with something close to the oem red similar to the rocker cover .

Thanks as always in advance !!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Question 1

Just pop the bonnet and either side of the car you will see the 3 bolts 3 per side on the top on the strut.

Remove the bolts, place the bar onto the strut and put the bolts back on tight and job done mate (that simple)

If the bar struggles to fit (being too tight or stiff and out of alignment) sometimes the suspension setup (angle of the wheels and shocks etc) means you have to jack the car up slightly on one side to get a little play (but be careful doing that as once the bolts are undone the strut can drop)

So just try with the car static first :)

Just to add it looks like the J's has a 4th bolt so I believe you may need to remove the oem brace, the mugen only has 3 per side so best off trying by removing the 6 bolts with the car on the ground and placing the bar as it would mount and seeing where the 4th lines up too.

Question 2

Never liked these and avoided using them so personally I would not fit it but each to their own and if you want to fit it I believe they are simple to do also.

skengdR

Advanced Member
thanks carl i can always count on you for help

carl hammond

Advanced Member
thanks carl i can always count on you for help

No problem mate, the brace is really quick and easy to do tbh and all you need is there ready for fitting :)

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I remember spraying one of these years ago, I used Ford 🙈 Granada gold from halfords as it was the closest at the time. Came up sweet

ATC

Having restored a strut brace in the past, the easiest and best way to prepare the rusty ends is to in only the ends and sand blast.

Failing that any other form of mechanical removal of the rust is preferable to doing nothing - wire wheels can be good, but sometimes "melt" over the surface, making it look clean and shiny when actually you've just left a layer of the wire wheel on the surface. Hammerite Kurust (not needed if sand blasting) to finish off after your mechanical abrasion should help get any bits you've missed and you're ready for paint.

While you should really use an etch primer now you're back to bare metal, I've always found high build primer works well enough for this kind of application. Flat it back then spray on your colour and clear. Probably a full weekend Jonny if you're doing it yourself, but good results are easily achievable.

If you don't fancy spraying a brushable metal paint (hammerite) will still probably get you pretty decent results - certainly a lot better than rust anyway.

Only other suggestion would be make sure you're wearing a dust mask throught the cleanup and respray. The paint and rust dust from sanding is rather nasty.