Juddering under braking...

Reggie91

Advanced Member
So I installed new PBS pads for my track day on the weekend. Took the car out bedded the brakes in. Did around 70 road miles too. On the track day I took it easy for the first 3-4 laps slowly building up the temperature in the brakes.

Then I noticed that the bite on the brakes didn't seem as sharp as they have been in the past and that the I'm feeling vibrations through the brake pedal and steering?

Normally this would suggest a warped disc due to the pads getting too hot, but from looking at the discs there's no blue spots or anything to suggest they are?

Any ideas?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Suffer the exact same on mine on track and the road sometimes. Think it's just the PBS pads are crap tbh, I'm running them myself too. Might be ABS as well as mine has started kicking in a bit.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Suffer the exact same on mine on track and the road sometimes. Think it's just the PBS pads are crap tbh, I'm running them myself too. Might be ABS as well as mine has started kicking in a bit.
But everyone raves on about them and I've used them in the past :/. Really wasn't expecting it to be honest.

Might take the brakes apart and see if there's something wrong with them.

lewis87

Advanced Member
After any track time did you sit with your foot on the brake pedal? Easy way to warp a disc or deposit some pad material on there without thinking about it.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
lewis87 said:
After any track time did you sit with your foot on the brake pedal? Easy way to warp a disc or deposit some pad material on there without thinking about it.
No I just leave it in gear and let it cool down.

There's no clear sign of warped discs? There will be clear signs on the discs surely like blue spots etc?

lewis87

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
No I just leave it in gear and let it cool down.

There's no clear sign of warped discs? There will be clear signs on the discs surely like blue spots etc?
Maybe not and they might not be warped at all, could just be some pad deposits on the disc which you might be able to remove with with bedding them in again.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
lewis87 said:
Maybe not and they might not be warped at all, could just be some pad deposits on the disc which you might be able to remove with with bedding them in again.
That's what I'm hoping. Will take them apart on Saturday.

If not, new brake pads and discs lol. The costs of tracking your car... :roll:

lewis87

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:

Indeed ha, I have new Honda discs and pads on my car and a trackday this Sunday so fingers crossed they survive.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:

I‘ve heard mixed reviews on those pads which is why I went Project Mu hc800+

I think my weakest link will be my discs on my next outing as I‘m on oem discs still but these pads are amazing, cold bite no so but get them hot and they really do work well mate

I‘d recommend them :)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I‘ve heard mixed reviews on those pads which is why I went Project Mu hc800+

I think my weakest link will be my discs on my next outing as I‘m on oem discs still but these pads are amazing, cold bite no so but get them hot and they really do work well mate

I‘d recommend them :)
I was looking at them. But they were twice the price of the PBS pads. Just a bit annoyed as the PBS ones are hyped up at a lot

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I was looking at them. But they were twice the price of the PBS pads. Just a bit annoyed as the PBS ones are hyped up at a lot
Yeah my mate swore by them so I just went for it and glad I did, nearly got their floating discs also but opted against that as they were silly money lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Twice the price for a reason Reggie lad. You get what you pay for and PBS are crap. I've had Hawk HP + and they were amazing but they were £250 at the time. Anything like them, Pagid RS29 or the Project Mu 800 like Carl has will be superior. Much more bite, better pedal feel and last longer. If I keep mine my next pads will be Hawks, that's even if I upgrade to the Mégane RS big brake kit.

Mebz

Advanced Member
I had the pbs pads on mine, did a few track days on them, they were great.

Can't compare them to the hawks or the project mu pads as I've never tried them.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
I had the pbs pads on mine, did a few track days on them, they were great.

Can't compare them to the hawks or the project mu pads as I've never tried them.
This is the thing. This is why i was so surprised. I feel I have to stamp on the peddle to get it to brake. They feel worse that DS2500 which I have used in the past.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
This is the thing. This is why i was so surprised. I feel I have to stamp on the peddle to get it to brake. They feel worse that DS2500 which I have used in the past.
You sure it's the pads, not something else?

Message the pbs guy, Chris coomer I think his name. From what I've read in the past, he will be willing to come out and have a look/feel of them and if it is pads he will sort you out.

carl hammond

Advanced Member

Message the pbs guy, Chris coomer I think his name. From what I've read in the past, he will be willing to come out and have a look/feel of them and if it is pads he will sort you out.
I was thinking this as I have heard mixed reviews and so I would say you've either got unlucky and there was poss a bad batch or maybe something's gone amiss somewhere, brake fluid ok (not just level but changed recently)? All pistongs working ok on the calipers and if so maybe there is an issue with the discs, else bad batch of pads :-(

You're not that far from me and I have some Dixel ES pads I know are perfect still if you wanna pop down, fit them and take it for a spin to see how they feel and see if the issues still there mate, saves you from buying anything and slowly rule things out.

Carl

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I was thinking this as I have heard mixed reviews and so I would say you've either got unlucky and there was poss a bad batch or maybe something's gone amiss somewhere, brake fluid ok (not just level but changed recently)? All pistongs working ok on the calipers and if so maybe there is an issue with the discs, else bad batch of pads :-(

You're not that far from me and I have some Dixel ES pads I know are perfect still if you wanna pop down, fit them and take it for a spin to see how they feel and see if the issues still there mate, saves you from buying anything and slowly rule things out.

Carl
Mebz said:

Do you have any contact details? I just bought them from Tegiwa in the summer sale.

The discs have done around 4 track days and have plenty of life left (RPB discs). TGM braided brake lines fitted along with a fluid change around 7k miles ago. Should be spot on.

Only think i can think of is maybe they pads have glazed and or has some pad deposit causing the juddering? I have to say the wheels went from silver to black after the first few sessions. Never had that much brake dust before :xhuh:

Mebz

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Do you have any contact details? I just bought them from Tegiwa in the summer sale.

The discs have done around 4 track days and have plenty of life left (RPB discs). TGM braided brake lines fitted along with a fluid change around 7k miles ago. Should be spot on.

Only think i can think of is maybe they pads have glazed and or has some pad deposit causing the juddering? I have to say the wheels went from silver to black after the first few sessions. Never had that much brake dust before :xhuh:
They are a dusty pad but didn't think they were excessively bad, could it be sticky caliper?

Ring them and explain your issues to them.

info@pbs-brakes.com
01257 451926

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
They are a dusty pad but didn't think they were excessively bad, could it be sticky caliper?

Ring them and explain your issues to them.

info@pbs-brakes.com
01257 451926
Cheers bud. I emailed and Chris got back to me straight away.

He asked for me to send a picture of the pads to him as he said that's not normal.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Cheers bud. I emailed and Chris got back to me straight away.

He asked for me to send a picture of the pads to him as he said that's not normal.
Excellent.

Keep us in the loop.