Just a backbox.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Would putting on just a backbox (such as a Spoon N1) be of much benefit? In terms of a louder noise/ more power.

The reason I ask is because I don't want to she'll out money for the B-Pipe and exhaust at the same time, it's too much to stomach. So this will do for now.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Yes! Spoon N1 backbox sounds amazing :)
when you add the b-pipe later on it will sound even nicer mmm

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
There isnt a single mod you can do on a honda to give huge gains, its all about lots of little ones to collectively improve the car. The N1 will provide marginal gains more so mid-range and will give it a lovely exhaust note. The b-pipe will compliment that bit more in respect to power and sound.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Thanks guys, spoon have money off them at the minute so it's tempting. Wonder do they come with a new exhaust gaskget I think mine is knackered. Alternately anyone know where I would get one to connect b pipe to backbox ?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Who's this noisey bugger? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34KEidjGCcE

cpoh

Advanced Member
I personally think the n1 sounds awful. I much prefer the spoon street silencer with the oem backpipe.

From a gains perspective you wont get any, the oem backbox is a great design and its well know the 4-2 and backpipe are the most important parts to upgrade provided you want to keep the cat.

rascal69

Advanced Member
I love spoon n1's just not the best for power being 2 1/4 inch wide.
Reason I went for j's still loud but a lot quieter than spoon n1 with just a backbox.
I was disappointed when I first fitted my j's 60r backbox. I was hoping it to be loud. It was actually quite quiet with a little rumble. :/
Unsilcened b pipe sorted that. Would say its like as loud as spoon n1 back box but not has loud as full system comparing it to my spoon setup on my civic Jordan.

brucey87

Advanced Member
Word of advice, dont use a straight through b-pipe with a spoon n1 backbox. It is insanly loud! And that was with oem mani.

I had to keep the bung in and get a spoon b-pipe asap. Live and learn as they say lol.

cpoh

Advanced Member
The spoon system is More than capable of Producing very good power!
Key here Stoo though is that you wont get any gains with just a spoon n1 without a wide diameter backpipe? You need to go 2.5" i would imagine combined with at least the 4-2 section upgraded to be getting anywhere powerwise.

Stoo

Whining.....
Key here Stoo though is that you wont get any gains with just a spoon n1 without a wide diameter backpipe? You need to go 2.5" i would imagine combined with at least the 4-2 section upgraded to be getting anywhere powerwise.
Where did I say that an n1 alone makes power?

It's a b-pipe. Not a back pipe.

You are correct though in saying that to see the best gains you need a complete cat back and/or manifold change, pref decat, to see noticeable gains.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Where did I say that an n1 alone makes power?

It's a b-pipe. Not a back pipe.

You are correct though in saying that to see the best gains you need a complete cat back and/or manifold change, pref decat, to see noticeable gains.
Are you for real? I thought your b-pipe comment was a urinetake the first time. You do realise that the b in b-pipe stands for back?! Talk about silly season on here.

The OP is talking about replacing his backbox with an N1. You mentioned that the spoon system is more than capable of making good power, i just wanted to make sure the OP was aware that a backbox alone wont make any difference.

Stoo

Whining.....
Hahahahah jesus!! Lol.

No.

A section ( manifold/cat)

B section (intermediate/mid pipe)

C section (back box)

That's why it's called the b pipe.

Silly season indeed.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Hahahahah jesus!! Lol.

No.

A section ( manifold/cat)

B section (intermediate/mid pipe)

C section (back box)

That's why it's called the b pipe.

Silly season indeed.
Serious question, do you get out much?

The centre section of the exhaust (or B section as you call it) is commonly known as the backpipe (or the long version cat-back pipe) where i come from, whether its a dc5 or a skyline.

Ive obviously rubbed you up the wrong way either in this thread or somwhere else but either way you being pedantic and quite frankly silly is neither helpful for the guy posting the original topic or indeed the site in general. If this is the typical response from regular posters on here is it any wonder the forum is so quiet? Either way im off this thread, enjoy Stooooooo.

Stoo

Whining.....
In all my years spannering/modifying/mechanicing etc, including 5 integras and 6yrs of dc5 experience, and now working in the motor industry as a technical trainer, I've never ever heard it called a back pipe. Ever. Not even referred to it as that. Cat back, yes. Back pipe, no.

It's a b pipe. For the reason I posted above.

I get out plenty thanks.

There's too many people, like yourself, posting incorrect information.