Just got booked in at Honda...

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Been quoted £240 for a service, with me supplying the engine oil. Does that seem reasonable?
Included gearbox oil change, spark plug change and a new oil filter

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
I provided my own engine oil £40
spark plugs £32
hamp oil filter £8

My last service bill from the garage in August 2011 was just under £110

labour £46
gearbox oil change £30
air filter £15
total £91+vat

add onto this your quote for plugs and oil filter and it comes to £150, so id say £240 is steep.

Josh16v

Advanced Member
From what I remember, the cost broke down to:
Gearbox oil + labour £80
Plugs + labour £110 (£21 each!)
Oil filter >£10
Oil change labour £40

They said they work off the rate of £65 per hour labour I think it was.
Think they've been a bit greedy on the box oil?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
yes gearbox oil change is steep!

They are being very greedy on the spark plugs, Tegiwa imports sell a set of 4 NKG iridiums for £32 delivered.

Buy your own and it's going to save yourself a whopping £52

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I don't think a car of this kind of age would really depreciate much without proper service history, but obviously it's personal preference.

Josh16v

Advanced Member
I know what you mean, but it has full service history and I don't want to be the one that changed that :lol:
It made me feel a bit more comfortable when buying the car, so might be worth while when I come to sell it

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I know what you mean, but it has full service history and I don't want to be the one that changed that :lol:
It made me feel a bit more comfortable when buying the car, so might be worth while when I come to sell it
I kept up FDSH on two of my previous cars and the conclusion I came to was it makes naff all difference in terms of resale value once the car reaches a certain age.

Ultimately its your call and I'd hate to be held responsible for you not getting a future sale due to no FDSH (as unlikely as that is to happen) but its a lot of money.

I've just bought my Teg and its come with next to no service history. Some searches on here revealed that it did have some at some point but its been lost somewhere along the way. All I've done is started a folder with all the receipts I currently have and then each time I buy parts or oil I file away the receipt with a note of whats been done.

Personally if I was to choose I'd sooner buy from a forum member that did 2 services a year and documented everything than anything else. A lot of people on here take really good care of their car and I think servicing it yourself gives you a great deal of satisfaction, not to mention the savings you make.

Most people here will be using superior oils and give the car more attention than a dealer would. Things like valve clearances for instance Honda don't normally check for thousands of miles. People on here tend to do this much more regularly. :xhappy:

wj51fut

Advanced Member
To be honest with you Honda will always charge you silly money for parts or labour. 2 litres of MTF3 is £20. And another £60 to change it? I would come and change it for you for £40!

The stamp does mean something to some people. More for the enthusiast I think. But you don't necessarily get what you pay for in terms of value for money. If you know what I mean. I have been doing my own servicing since Honda decided to charge me £92 for an oil and filter change 3 years ago! I always buy genuine Honda equipment and have the receipts to prove it. If you've got them they are as good, if not better than a stamp.

jono888

Advanced Member
The service history stopped 2 years ago on my book but the guy who had it previously just did the servicing himself and kept the receipts and noted when he did them on the mileage and dates etc.

I would rather do it myself and save myself a few hundred quid for a few extra mods instead :) also get to learn more about your car and build up your mechanical knowledge.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
It's so easy to do engine/gearbox oil change it's not worth paying someone else to do!

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
I think my car has 1 dealer stamp and the rest are just reciepts for the parts/oils changed and a few from reputable garages. I felt better buying from off here knowing that it had been looked after rather than a few Honda stamps every ~10k miles! Personal preference though I guess but ive just been buying my own service parts and recording the milage at which it was changed as someone mentioned before me.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
quick poll of the guys here in the office who drive, and not one of them cares about main dealer service history. :xaiweb3:

cpoh

Advanced Member
The gear oil is a 20min job, did it myself last night - £60 labour is nutts.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
20 min job unless like me you come to do it and find the plugs are practically welded in! Wouldn't be so bad if access wasn't so awkward but with having a big long extension bar on the end of them it was difficult getting decent leverage. Did it in the end minus some knuckle skin :xgrin:

Also found I didn't have the correct square shape tool to undo the sump plug. Luckily the square end of an extension bar fitted in their nice and snug.