Just had the car broken into...

rick c

Advanced Member
... in the work car park in the city centre.

Threw a stone through the window and stole the TomTom from the glove box.

Also managed to damage the driver's door and various trims inside the car in the process.

Absolute assholes. There's glass EVERYWHERE. God knows how I'm going to clean it all up. Not even had this a month yet.

Insurance excess is £350 so I guess I'll be sorting it out myself. Anyone know what the procedure is for replacing the glass? Is it something anyone can do or do I have to source the glass through someone in particular?

jay82

Advanced Member
sorry to here mate.

think its the drivers side door your talking about, if so its straight forward just remove the door cards and it should all come out

raz786

Advanced Member
Contact IntegraStella on here or the DC2 forum, he should have a wimdow for you, as for the fitting it shouldn't be too difficult i would think. Unfortunately scum like this exist :evil:

rick c

Advanced Member
raz786 said:
Contact IntegraStella on here or the DC2 forum, he should have a wimdow for you
Thanks, have done :)

Can normal body shops not get hold of replacement windows then? I presume with it being an import they have to be sent over from Belgium or something?

LeeH

Advanced Member
Your glass excess will only be £50???

Unlucky tho mate.....thieving pikeys!! :evil:

rick c

Advanced Member
Thought that only applied to Windscreens? Either way, its the door that'll be expensive to repair I guess.

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
i'm pretty sure matey its not just the windscreen... our megane side-rear window got smashed and it just cost the 60 quid excess or whatever it was with no dent to the ncb... definitely worth asking at least?

rick c

Advanced Member
Well thinking about it I may end up doing the whole thing through the insurance after all because I have a feeling it'll end up costing around £500 in which case I may as well.

I'll start ringing around in the morning.

garytc78

Advanced Member
Rick all the glass on your car is covered and it does not effect your NCB so just ring up autoglass and they will sort it out and if there are any other damaged parts just pm integrastella on the DC2 forum he's got loadsa bits.

tp

Be carefull about putting it through the insurance Rick. They allow 1 claim a year only. If your unlucky enough to have a 2nd in a 12 month period you loose your NCB. They don't tell you this! :evil:

Found this out to my cost when I hit a pothole and needed recovery as Honda don't supply even spacesavers in the new Civics, then that night when finally home the car was stolen off the driveway, puncture and all!
2 claims in 24 hours, let alone 12 months! (AA wasn't interested as they said it was an RTA so had to go through insurance company for recovery!!!)

Took 4 months of fighting to get the puncture one removed and that was only by me sending the insurance company a check for £600 to cover the recovery companies costs!

rick c

Advanced Member
Yeah I remember all that hassle you had with your Civic Paul, sounded like a nightbare. Thanks for the tip, I'll try and avoid doing it through the insurance if I can.

I've found this bodyshop, I'll probably arrange to take it down to them this weekend and see what they say.

alucardo

Advanced Member
Heard quite a few of these stories recently, there looking for any sort of ring marks on the windows and taking the chance itll be in the glovebox.

My advice to all gps owners is find another way to attach it and wipe those rings marks of your windscreens...

Bad luck mate, happenend to me in my dc2 rear 1/4 window which would have cost 230 quid through honda thank goodness for insurance..

carl hammond

Advanced Member
VTeCMonKeY said:
i'm pretty sure matey its not just the windscreen... our megane side-rear window got smashed and it just cost the 60 quid excess or whatever it was with no dent to the ncb... definitely worth asking at least?
Depends on the policy / insurer - some cover all glass others just windscreens - sorry to hear this mate :-(

rick c

Advanced Member
Well it looks like things are going in the right direction.

IntegraStella is kindly providing me with a replacement window, which is being delivered at the bodyshop on Monday. Top work Andy :D

As for the bodyshop... I'm going to take it to this place. I've been down there already, the guy seems really sound and they had all sorts of cars in there including a SAAB and a Ferrari 360 8)

He said no problem with fitting the new window and from my description imagines they'll charge about £200 for the job. :)

No doubt it'll work out more by the time its done but as long as it stays lower than about £300 then I guess I'll be reasonably pleased. If it can be done within the week then I'll be even happier.

Taking the car to the bodyshop in the morning. They can lock it up inside over the weekend which is more than I can do with it on my drive. Alarm keeps going off as the wind dents the sheet into the car.

I've just got the vacuum cleaner out and managed to clean up a suprisingly decent amount. Now there's just the bits I can't get to (around the seat rails - may have to take the seats out) and all the tiny little shards which the vacuum can't pick up - particularly in the seats. Once the repair's done I'm thinking I might go over everything with some sticky tape / sheets to try and pull up the remaining shards :?:

Fucking hope it all goes smoothly :|

rick c

Advanced Member
Well I've just picked up the car... and first impressions are good! 8)

Only £60 for the glass off Integrastella and £200 for the respray and fitting. Can't complain about the price.

Will have to give it all a good wash to really see about the colour match, and I've still got a few bits of glass to sort out from the interior.

Accidentally bought a new headunit for it as well. This'll play a DVD full of MP3's 8)

mikegsi

Staff member
rick c said:
Accidentally bought a new headunit for it as well. This'll play a DVD full of MP3's 8)

take it thats what you tell your lass?? "it just happened!! dunno how, one minute i was talking to the man and the next id accidentally bought this stereo off him? must be magic or hypnosis or something cos i really didnt mean to buy it!!" :lol: :lol:

good to see your car is sorted though :D

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
rick c said:

take it thats what you tell your lass?? "it just happened!! dunno how, one minute i was talking to the man and the next id accidentally bought this stereo off him? must be magic or hypnosis or something cos i really didnt mean to buy it!!" :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: