Just Stripped 3 Wheel Nuts

gaza4

Advanced Member
so while putting back on my drivers side wheel after doing drop links, 2 of my wheel studs went from getting tight to loose. took the nuts off and noticed the thread was stripped out!!! pulled the wheel back off and with a pliers was able to uncurl a long length of wire from the stud!!! checked over all my nuts and studs for signs of cross threading and all looked ok. went on about putting the wheel back on with 2 replacement stud from an old civic (with are longer and look fugly BTW). low and behold a THIRD nut done the exact same thing!!!!

so either i've gained super strength in the last few months or the threads in my wheel nuts are as soft as butter but needless to same i have no faith in these nuts anymore so i'm gonna get a new set of nuts asap. after a quick look online its looking like each stud is running 4-5 quid and thats Pounds so cant wait to hear from Honda tomorrow with the Euro price!!!

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
I snapped one on my dc5 before tightening it. Think it was something like €2 for one from Honda here so sounds about right

2ndy

Advanced Member
gaza4 said:
just came across these on ebay from Aylesbury Honda...their website has links to this ebay page too so its legit but how can a dealer sell a full set of these for 10 quid.

Too good to be true bells are ringing in my head but at the same time they are a dealer???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honda-Chrome-Plated-Wheel-Nuts-SUPPLIED-AS-A-PACK-OF-20-/262375892309?hash=item3d16d26555:g:XlcAAOSwAuNW8Tpz
They're legit, I've a new set for my dc5 and my fn2 this way.

Apparently they're the spare nuts they take off to replace with locking nuts

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
Thanks for the link. Just ordered some myself to replace my own that've seen better days

Kellsled

Advanced Member
Are they oem nuts you have stripped? If there alloy I could see past it,I wouldn't use alloy nuts again worst things I ever put on a car

gaza4

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
They're legit, I've a new set for my dc5 and my fn2 this way.

Apparently they're the spare nuts they take off to replace with locking nuts
oh cool thats good to know, sent them an email to find out but if thats the case i'd be happy to buy

George657 said:
Have you been torquing the wheel nuts or just doing them tight?
dont have a torque wrench but never had any trouble with wheel nuts in 10 years

Kellsled said:
Are they oem nuts you have stripped? If there alloy I could see past it,I wouldn't use alloy nuts again worst things I ever put on a car
they are OEM nuts which surprised me

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
from honda nuts are £4.50 each but come individually packaged, so these must be from locking wheel nut leftovers, or when aftermarket wheels are fitted ( aftermarket wheels require different nuts)

definately get a torque wrench , one suitable for wheel nuts is only about £30

2ndy

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
from honda nuts are £4.50 each but come individually packaged, so these must be from locking wheel nut leftovers, or when aftermarket wheels are fitted ( aftermarket wheels require different nuts)

definately get a torque wrench , one suitable for wheel nuts is only about £30
Any you would recommend? Something that I've never bought but know it would come in handy, I never torque my wheels but probably should

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have a quick look , I have a Halfords one for wheelnuts as you can get repair kits for the ratchets etc .some of the cheapies from the bay won't have any parts available .

You should also not use them to undo the wheelnuts with ideally .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I've got 4 oem ones in my boot mate.

I'm in Swindon, or you can have them for the postage cost. :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

gaza4

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
I've got 4 oem ones in my boot mate.

I'm in Swindon, or you can have them for the postage cost. :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Thanks but already ordered a set from ebay

2ndy

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
I'll have a quick look , I have a Halfords one for wheelnuts as you can get repair kits for the ratchets etc .some of the cheapies from the bay won't have any parts available .

You should also not use them to undo the wheelnuts with ideally .

Saw a few online made by sealey for around £30, think I read somewhere wheels should be torqued to 80ft-lb and these go to 120.. £30 seems very cheap for one but for all they would be used it could maybe do the job..

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
They would be fine . It's not hyper critical

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
Saw a few online made by sealey for around £30, think I read somewhere wheels should be torqued to 80ft-lb and these go to 120.. £30 seems very cheap for one but for all they would be used it could maybe do the job..
£30 would be fine for a torque wrench. I've used a £30 Clarke one from machine mart nearly everyday for the last 3 years and it's only just broke in me from exceeding the maximum torque setting too many times. This took an absolute battering as well working on lifts. A £30 to just do wheel nuts up every now and then will be fine for years

Jack

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I torque most things these days, it makes such a difference knowing things are done to spec, and when it comes to taking it apart again, it comes apart like lego.

C&S Evo7 said:
They would be fine . It's not hyper critical

Could you give an example of an item that is hyper critical? Danger to the manifold, for example.