k-pro hometune!

mikegsi

Staff member
right, as most of you know i have k-pro as one of my mods, until recently i was a little dubious about sticking a laptop onto it and having a play, however i now have a decent laptop i reckon is upto the task and want to know where to go from here

is it a case of contacting system r and getting a ciopy of the programm, saving the map thats on it at the mo just in case then having a fiddle, or is there a lot more to it than just that!

my aim eventually is to have two or three base maps, one for normal road driving, one for 1/4 miles and one for trackday use

is this a possibilty, is it worthwhile, is it easy??????????????

jonster

Advanced Member
You can get KManager for free from the Hondata website. With this you can download your current map. Once you've done this you can upload one of the basemaps that best matches your mods and use this as your baseline. Somebody may be able to donate a better matching map for your setup. The best thing you can do with your baseline map is do lots of datalogging of your air/fuel ratio while driving on the road. You then need to tweak your fuelling as best you can where the fuelling is off (ie you're running too rich or too lean). This pretty tricky to do because your cam angles are constantly changing for both the high and low cam.

At the end of the day you really can't get away from doing a proper dyno tune where they fix the cam angle for each run to get the A/F optimal (again for both the high and low cam). The bulk of the work is the A/F ratio tweaking as mentioned but you will also need to tweak the ignition timing to within an inch of detonation for the fuel you run to get the most power. The Hondata web site has great training videos on all this stuff.

Good luck,

Jon

andyd

Advanced Member
Its possable fella....

you can get nr a 95% nr tune on the road, but it does take a lot of time on the road....

If you need any maps let me know, as i had got loads from wen i done this in my civic.

Andy

Evs

Advanced Member
So you've already had it tuned at System-R, and you think you're going to do a better job yourself, having had to ask that question on here?

And why do you think you want different maps when the physical mods will be the same?

All I'll say is good luck... :?

Wootty

Advanced Member
jonster said:
You can get KManager for free from the Hondata website. With this you can download your current map.
Jon
Not as easy as that in practise. If you try to download your map from the k-pro with a version k-manager that is newer than the version of k-manager that they used to upload it then it will be corrupt and not work when you upload it again. trust me I know I did it. :oops:

If you want to play - and lord knows why you would want to change the map once dyno'd tuned then you really need the clean file version of of the map they did for you in the first place. You can download base maps with various states of tune from the hondata website but you need to check some of the sensor variables in there as they are for RSX's and have slightly different settings.

The only thing I play with on mine is the launch control rev value.. :lol: and now give up with that cos whatever i set it to just wheel spins abyway... :shock:

User

Advanced Member
No way I'd touch mine.

Changing my cat back next week - going to have the K-Pro fine tuned by System-R and at the same time have the launch control turned on & the idle speed raised to stop the shakes on idle.

Bottom line is - if they mess up - it's their problem not mine. :lol:

jonster

Advanced Member
@Wooty I know what you mean. I had random CEL issues due to early issues with different versions of KManager. To be safe I download or obtain the map of the current settings and cut and past the values to a base map of the version of KManager I'm using and then upload.

There are probably more features that have appeared in newer versions that can catch you out.

If the car has already been dyno mapped, as Evs suggests, I can't understand why you would want to fiddle with it unless you want to fine tune your part throttle settings or you want to change your VTEC point / window.

I think you will spend more money on petrol on the road getting the map right than you would spend on getting it done properly on a dyno (which takes the best part of a day anyway).

This is my experience anyway. I didn't know anything about engines or mods until I bought my DC5 and found this forum.

The Meist_R

Advanced Member
When I got mine done at System R they started with a basemap from a car that had been tuned with exactly the same mods, the initial result was well off and the map needed alot of tweaking. So it isn't just a case of uploading a map from a car that has the same mods, as they said every car is different.

mikegsi

Staff member
no, ididnt expect to be able to do a better job in the slightest,, and even a trip back to system r to get them to do the potential three maps (one with econmoy in mind for road use, one with good launching and lower gear power fo 1/4 miles and one that bends economy over adn shafts it for track day use) was more what i was thinking, just for me to be able to plug in my laptop and amaze myself with the settings etc and obvioulsy be able to switch maps as i go

Mersey_typeR

Advanced Member
K-Pro takes a lot of learning, but with the advantage of having a wideband A/F ratio gauge it makes tuning far easier. The best place to start is the Hondata website, watch the video's and listen carefully.

Then download your map (check it looks ok, e.g. injector size is correct, alternatively let someone else check it or get the original from your tuner). Now go and datalog a run, 3rd gear uphill works well, from there you can set about tweeking the map. Unless you spend 3 or 4 hours plus on a dyno, or specifically ask for it, the part throttle mapping will not be tuned. Most places tune WOT unless they are doing a full map which is very time consuming as you'll discover.

I'd strongly recommend having a look at a map similar mods to compare with, seeing how agressive the ignition and cam angles are etc.

You don't want to be playing around with the 0 degree cam angle map, as this is the map the car runs on if anything is up with it and on idle. So leave that alone.