K tuned shifters

Kenz

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I've been considering one of these for a while now and tegiwa have just offered them at a great price via a group buy on the forum. I was just wondering how many of you are running the shifter and what you think of them? Are they worth the money? Is the race spec version worth the extra over the standard billet version?

Having spoke to a friend he has said that the race spec can foul on your centre console plastic when selecting 6th and reverse, has anyone else experienced this?

Any and all input welcome thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
One of the first things i did, and one of the best imo!
I bought the cheaper one as it had more adjustment, if you're going to buy an adjustable shifter.. why pay more for less adjustment? Lol

But as said the 'Race spec' does foul the surround and really hard to get 6th/reverse.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Race one is only really if you're using the race cables as well and remove the surround at the gearstick. It's too much on a road car from what people say, even too much on some track cars.

Fez

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Race one is only really if you're using the race cables as well and remove the surround at the gearstick. It's too much on a road car from what people say, even too much on some track cars.
A friend of mine has the race spec with race cables on his k swap and it feels pretty much the same as mine does with the baby spec shifter on oem cables lol, with less play, which i can only imagine is my old cable bushes gearbox side.

Darren4

Advanced Member
Gonna sound silly but how does this compare to the buddyclub short shifter(If any one has had both)?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I've got a B&M short shifter, so didn't see the need to get a new shifter. But I've bought the road spec KTuned cables as mine had stretched and were bending. Had to rip out part of the interior and unbend it with a hammer at Donington haha.

shifty89

Hi,

I have the shifter and cables installed and it makes the shifting so much better. It's hard to describe but you can adjust the throw and height to your liking, I think mine is set at a fairly moderate setting for everyday driving and I love it (obviously you can change to have a shorter throw etc). It makes the shifting slightly more "Stiff" if that makes sense but not in a bad way, it strangely makes it feel more precise and has a slight lock back to centre when going into the neutral position and almost like a notchy feeling/sound when shifting as you pass through neutral (not a bad notchy sound like your gearbox is ruined :xtsk: ). I'm not sure if I have the race spec or not (I can check) but I have had no issues with it interfering with the centre console plastic in any gear and that's with everything still in tact like the centre console, gear gator etc.

I've had the car go to a few people for work and have commented on how nice the gearbox feels and the usual question of whats been done to that?.

Again It's really hard to describe without making it sound negative using words like "stiff" and "notchy" but the noticeable difference is when giving it some, it makes changes so much smoother and precise its worth the money all day for me.... was just a bonus when I bought mine it had already been done :xgrin: .

Kenz

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Ah right, I just have a set of shifter bushes in and don't plan on forking out for the cables. I'd also like to keep my centre console so it looks like the standard billet one will be the best best.

Kenz

Advanced Member
Fez said:
A friend of mine has the race spec with race cables on his k swap and it feels pretty much the same as mine does with the baby spec shifter on oem cables lol, with less play, which i can only imagine is my old cable bushes gearbox side.
Thanks for the input mate, yeah it looks like the race spec isn't going to be worth the extra money for me, and from what you and others seem to be saying, the regular billet one sounds plenty good enough!

Kenz

Advanced Member
shifty89 said:
Hi,

I have the shifter and cables installed and it makes the shifting so much better. It's hard to describe but you can adjust the throw and height to your liking, I think mine is set at a fairly moderate setting for everyday driving and I love it (obviously you can change to have a shorter throw etc). It makes the shifting slightly more "Stiff" if that makes sense but not in a bad way, it strangely makes it feel more precise and has a slight lock back to centre when going into the neutral position and almost like a notchy feeling/sound when shifting as you pass through neutral (not a bad notchy sound like your gearbox is ruined :xtsk: ). I'm not sure if I have the race spec or not (I can check) but I have had no issues with it interfering with the centre console plastic in any gear and that's with everything still in tact like the centre console, gear gator etc.

I've had the car go to a few people for work and have commented on how nice the gearbox feels and the usual question of whats been done to that?.

Again It's really hard to describe without making it sound negative using words like "stiff" and "notchy" but the noticeable difference is when giving it some, it makes changes so much smoother and precise its worth the money all day for me.... was just a bonus when I bought mine it had already been done :xgrin: .
Thanks for the detailed explanation mate, that's a good review of the product. I don't think I'll be forking out the extra for the cables but hopefully the billet shifter will improve the feel of gear changes as you have said.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
I have the normal one. It makes for a lovely gear change and is a very good upgrade.

I had a few niggles with mine but it seems to have been solved now.

On very hot days, long runs mixed with some enthusiastic driving, the selector would creak like a bugger.

The unit was stripped down, re-greased and the stiffness slackened off. There are 2 Alan key slots on the underside of the unit which you can adjust. As belt and braces I also put some heat wrap on the underside of the car. Although I probably didn't need to do this after the the grease and selector adjustment. Been good as gold ever since. Might actually tighten the bolts again when I can be bothered.

I also have the J's 60RS which sits very close to the car so this may have contributed to it.

I was emailing KTuned directly and they were very helpful.

All in all a great upgrade! If you're ever around Croydon or when you're next at TGM let me know and you can have a go if you like.

Fez

Advanced Member
I highly recommend Mtec shifter springs too, made the shift feel even better. I went for the race bushes, and with the shifter it feels so epic!

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Fez said:
I highly recommend Mtec shifter bushes too, made the shift feel even better. I went for the race bushes, and with the shifter it feels so epic!
I have the M&M bushes but can't say I noticed a difference. But my car is only on 50k (miles) so probably weren't even broken in ha ha.

2ndy

Advanced Member
I keep going on and off the idea of one of these, I've currently got Hybrid racing shifter bushes, Mtec race springs and tegiwa short shift.. not sure how much better this would make it and whether or not it would be worth spending another £300 on :S

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I doubt it mate, I have the B&M short shifter and will be getting KTuned cables, unless something breaks I won't be changing anything in a hurry.

Kenz

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
I keep going on and off the idea of one of these, I've currently got Hybrid racing shifter bushes, Mtec race springs and tegiwa short shift.. not sure how much better this would make it and whether or not it would be worth spending another £300 on :S
If your happy with your shift as it is, then I wouldn't go spending the extra £300 for the shifter.

RichA

Advanced Member
Fez said:
One of the first things i did, and one of the best imo!
I bought the cheaper one as it had more adjustment, if you're going to buy an adjustable shifter.. why pay more for less adjustment? Lol

But as said the 'Race spec' does foul the surround and really hard to get 6th/reverse.
I think the race spec one if really for if you are running a dog gear box and need heft to shift! The standard one is excellent and fees really nice to shift with, would definitely recommend especially at the group buy price.

Fez

Advanced Member
TonksyDC5 said:
I have the M&M bushes but can't say I noticed a difference. But my car is only on 50k (miles) so probably weren't even broken in ha ha.

Sorry i meant springs, original post edited haha.

But yeah i agree, if you dont have play then theres probably not a great deal in it, but least they are done now

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
From what i heard from the distributor was that the race one was only developed due to the strength as the US users were breaking the elbow drag racing. Mechanism is no different so I highly doubt there would be any feeling differences between the two. Same with the race cables they are purely for strength.

I use the Street shifter with oem cables and MandM honda box bushes and it's lovely.

I don't feel like it could really be improved tbh I love it.

Onto the question would it be worth upgrading from the Buddy club or alternative plastic shifter box then I would say it probably depends how worn your mechanism is as I know of a car with a buddy club shifter in that has similar play to my oem one that I replaced with K Tuned. In those circumstances I would not hesitate upgrading but if your shifter is new and firm then I wouldn't bother until it eventually slackens off.

The MandM bushes are a nice little addition which stiffen things up ever so slightly more.

Darren4

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
From what i heard from the distributor was that the race one was only developed due to the strength as the US users were breaking the elbow drag racing. Mechanism is no different so I highly doubt there would be any feeling differences between the two. Same with the race cables they are purely for strength.

I use the Street shifter with oem cables and MandM honda box bushes and it's lovely.

I don't feel like it could really be improved tbh I love it.

Onto the question would it be worth upgrading from the Buddy club or alternative plastic shifter box then I would say it probably depends how worn your mechanism is as I know of a car with a buddy club shifter in that has similar play to my oem one that I replaced with K Tuned. In those circumstances I would not hesitate upgrading but if your shifter is new and firm then I wouldn't bother until it eventually slackens off.

The MandM bushes are a nice little addition which stiffen things up ever so slightly more.
Thanks for this Chris, always wanted the k shifter so looks like the buddyclub will go (Even if its very new)