K20 Engine rebuild

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
Hi all,

My friend recently went to Spa in his EP3 type R and unfortunately for him, changed to the wrong gear through eau rouge and now "knock knock" from the bottom end.

He is currently looking at his options, whether to just rebuild the k20, or look to get a k24 built. There's a wealth of knowledge on here, and being an engine rebuild is something neither he or I has ever had to consider before, is there anyone that people specifically recommend?

He was pointed in the direction of clockwise but believe he hasn't got very far with that. He is also looking at MMR?

Any recommendations or advice for him would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Alex.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
R2 in tilbury essex. K20 is their passion.
They are currently building a blue printed engine for their own dc5 which they are hoping will see over 300bhp n/a.
Cant recommend then enough for the work they have done on my own car

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
R2 in tilbury essex. K20 is their passion.
They are currently building a blue printed engine for their own dc5 which they are hoping will see over 300bhp n/a.
Cant recommend then enough for the work they have done on my own car

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the recommendation pal. Cant argue with that, you've got a lovely example of a 5! xthumbup Useful to know you've had first hand experience with them.

ste01

Advanced Member
Ric Wood in Stockport. They make race engines and built Teegwa a 300+bhp NA engine a few years ago

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Michael Morrison? It would have to be Clockwise Motion for me but it won't be cheap.

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Michael Morrison? It would have to be Clockwise Motion for me but it won't be cheap.
Yeh that‘s who he is currently talking to about a rebuild.

I think average price he has so far is about 3500 - 4k for k20 and obviously a few more for a k24...

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
K24 won't rev as high but the torque would be significantly better. What about a 2.1? Dan has a 2.1 built by Clockwise. How much have they quoted for a built engine?

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
K24 won't rev as high but the torque would be significantly better. What about a 2.1? Dan has a 2.1 built by Clockwise. How much have they quoted for a built engine?
I don‘t think he has had a quote back from clockwise yet. Others have quoted 3.5k for rebuilding his k20. And with them supplying a bottom end to build a k24 for the 7k mark.

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
skengdR said:
3 to 4 k ? wouldnt it be cheaper to buy a new engine ?

Yeh it may be the route he goes. Just weighing up his options for now...
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
I have a k20a out of my dc5 for sale for £1k if he wants to save some ££££ and get all that k20a just yumminesss 😂

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
Dazaturbo said:
I have a k20a out of my dc5 for sale for £1k if he wants to save some ££££ and get all that k20a just yumminesss 😂
What‘s the mileage - il let him know!!! 😂🤙🏻

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
Tricktyper said:
What‘s the mileage - il let him know!!! 😂🤙🏻
127k with full service and a head rebuild with new timing chain and fd2 tensioner 👍🏻

It‘s also got all the ancillaries that run off the aux belt included and a nice silver painted rocker cover and a j‘s racing magnetic sump bolt 👍🏻

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
Dazaturbo said:
127k with full service and a head rebuild with new timing chain and fd2 tensioner

It‘s also got all the ancillaries that run off the aux belt included and a nice silver painted rocker cover and a j‘s racing magnetic sump bolt
DM'd you fella. :xgrin: