K20 loves breathing mods! Rolling road again today....MPG +

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
I don't post that much on here but have been slowly building my DC5 up, using only the best mods I can afford where possible, and going with what I have read/heard/found out with other Hondas out there, and Hondas I have owned and driven.

When I got my DC5 I took it to the local rolling road and checked to see what the power output was as STANDARD (ok ok, almost :D - with ITG drop in filter) see below.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/ ... er2005.jpg

Then i did Gruppe M and Spoon 2-1 decat see below:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/ ... arch06.jpg

Then this year I have put on full exhaust and manifold with CAT:

And the result - 237BHP & 166lbs/ft!!! :shock: The overlaid lower line is the previous power with Gruppe M and decat, then obviously the line above is with the manifold and full system, look at the jump!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g228/ ... hFeb07.jpg
Very very pleased. I know all R/R figures should be taken with a pinch of salt but to have run it at similar ambient temps every time and used the same rollers, and MOST importantly in my mind was the figure it started with - i.e on UK Shell 98/99 ron fuel it made 207 which is about right.

What are peoples thoughts??

Just to say a big thank you to Kenny and Danny @ www.d2racingsport.co.uk for supplying what is in my mind, the best "off the shelf" K20 manifold out there by a fair margin, the quality is incredible and so far the individual flexi joints seem to be preventing any damage occurring whilst still using standard Honda engine mounts and driving the car daily.

:D

Suped

Advanced Member
Nice post Ed. The results really show what stage 1 can really achieve. Going to do the same once the DC sports mani is in place and do a comparison on the same dyno.

However, you don't have a K-Pro whilst running filter, mani and exhuast, any problems with the air/fuel mixture??

linzi94

Advanced Member
was your first standard power output at the fly? (207?)

are the rest of the power figures at the fly?

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
linzi94 said:
was your first standard power output at the fly? (207?)

are the rest of the power figures at the fly?
they are all the same rolling road as Ed said, and yep all at fly it seems.

207bhp at the wheels standard is a little hard to believe :lol:

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
Eddie good idea mate, best way to do it I think then you can guage which way mods are taking you from your base. Don't forget the brand/configuration/spec of bolt on mods will also make a massive difference :wink:

Re - possible running lean - well half the reason I went back on the rollers today was to check the fuelling, as I recently had a little scare when the ECU seemed to retard the ignition at the top of 4th gear for some reason??? but as the manifold has a race cat it seems to have changed little, stock AFR should be 14.7 /14.8 Paul told me , and mine was idling at 15.0. (please correct me if this is wrong) Top end it was showing ?????? - but running rich if anything. EDITED as had some incorrect info in there!!

Linzi - yes all figures are flywheel, Jimmy is right I'd be seriously chuffed if my car was 207 at the wheels standard!! :lol:

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
Nice improvement :wink:

Although Power Engineerings rollers are known to be "Optimistic" tbh :?

Used them quite a few times in the past as have many of my friends & they have given some very high readings.

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
fair enough they may or may not be high or low reading, however the main thing is I had a base of 207bhp and it has made 30hp from that base!

SpaceMonkey said:

Used them quite a few times in the past as have many of my friends & they have given some very high readings.

Evs

Advanced Member
Great thread, really interesting to see these results xthumbup

Nice looking parts too 8)

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
cheers Evs :D

Yes the M-Bit manifold is 8) - I was told today that they are well known to give some of the best gains on Imprezas too.

corbie

Advanced Member
ejwillistyles said:
Re - possible running lean - well half the reason I went back on the rollers today was to check the fuelling, as I recently had a little scare when the ECU seemed to retard the ignition at the top of 4th gear for some reason??? but as the manifold has a race cat it seems to have changed little, stock AFR should be 14.7 /14.8 Paul told me , and mine was idling at 15.0. (please correct me if this is wrong) Top end it was showing 14.ish so running rich if anything.
it should be 14.7 under light load if you are running 14.?? at WOT at the top end then that is lean. it should be more like high 12's to mid 13's for making power and protecting the engine from the heat being generated.

if that was my car I would get the car mapped ASAP and would not be reving it too high at WOT.

Suped

Advanced Member
Regarding this a/f, am running 12 under load, but it fluctuates depending on pedal pressed/de-pressed from -12 to 2/4 to 12. Not sure whether this is a good sign. Only have an exhuast on at the mo to guage when the other mods have been installed. Have a Greddy Intellimeter that records the highest values, but cannot justify how accurate this is though. :lol:

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
ejwillistyles said:
SpaceMonkey said:

fair enough they may or may not be high or low reading, however the main thing is I had a base of 207bhp and it has made 30hp from that base!
Completely agree buddy, hence my intial comment

:wink: Keep it up

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
Sorry my mistake I wanted to keep the description short, it was deffo rich top end, and the figures were more like 12's-13's. Thanks for the heads up.

corbie said:
ejwillistyles said:
Re - possible running lean - well half the reason I went back on the rollers today was to check the fuelling, as I recently had a little scare when the ECU seemed to retard the ignition at the top of 4th gear for some reason??? but as the manifold has a race cat it seems to have changed little, stock AFR should be 14.7 /14.8 Paul told me , and mine was idling at 15.0. (please correct me if this is wrong) Top end it was showing 14.ish so running rich if anything.
it should be 14.7 under light load if you are running 14.?? at WOT at the top end then that is lean. it should be more like high 12's to mid 13's for making power and protecting the engine from the heat being generated.

if that was my car I would get the car mapped ASAP and would not be reving it too high at WOT.

Jor-El

Advanced Member
a/f at idle should be Stoich ~ 14.5:1 to 14.7:1
WOt should be 13.2:1 max.
A/f of 12's at WOT is a little rich.