K24 block with K20 head...

Tarmac

Advanced Member
As part of my current "quest" to look at various options what to do with the Teg, I came across some stuff on the web about this. Putting the block from a CRV or Accord in the Teg. The Accord would be preferrable because it's compression ratio is closer to the teg, but either way the head would require a certain amount of skimming and certain gasket.

So, if possible, I was thinking of trying to get the block from a CL7 (Euro Type R Accord). Then replace the rods and pistons with forged ones from JE or Toda or whoever. Skim the head - do whatever with the gasket too. Put in a set of A3 Toda Cams or IPS K2 Cams. Some valve springs etc and round it off with a KPro. Doing this is starting of with an 88mm bore as far as I know. There is also plenty of room to increase that to 89mm if not more and use JE or Ross pistons. The stroke from the crank in the Accord is 92mm I think. So combine that with the 89mm forged pistons and you get a nice increase in cc and presumably power and torque (if all is setup correctly).

I know this can be done as alot of Americans have done it to prepare for a Turbo conversion. It just seems so easy there has to be something wrong with it though? Thoughts anyone? ](*,)

mikegsi

Staff member
what would be the overall benefits of this against the cost involved? as opposed to other tried and tested methods?

Evs

Advanced Member
The CL7 Euro-R has a K20a ie 2.0-litre lump.

If you're thinking of the K24 from the UKDM Accord Type-S then this engine has a long stroke and won't safely rev anywhere near as high as the K20a. The piston speeds are much higher for any given rpm. It may be possible to strengthen the bottom end components to stand up to higher revs, but this won't be cheap.

Also as the block is taller (about 12mm IIRC) the standard aftermarket manifolds (Toda etc) are not a straight fit.

Not impossible but a lot of work and cash.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
what would be the overall benefits of this against the cost involved? as opposed to other tried and tested methods?
ok i'll lay it out as best i can:

idea as set out above with different block =

total cost is about EUR€5,000 (GBP£3,400) including labour. benefits is the cc of the teg would increase from 1998 cc to something like 2368 cc (i can't remember what it is exactly, but we calculated it out for an approximation). working with the different block for a start will see an increase in power but mainly torque. then change the rods and pistons to bigger forged ones and increase the bore for more power. throw in a set of cams and a kpro - stirr and simmer. :D

the other option is essentially a Toda stroker kit which would bring it up to a 2150cc. i'm sure there would be gains from this but considering the cost of the stroker kit is GBP£2,560 or there abouts excluding labour, it's already priced itself out of the water by comparison to the above. then add the cams, kpro etc etc. all in, this option proves to be incredibly expensive when compared to the above.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
Evs said:
The CL7 Euro-R has a K20a ie 2.0-litre lump.

If you're thinking of the K24 from the UKDM Accord Type-S then this engine has a long stroke and won't safely rev anywhere near as high as the K20a. The piston speeds are much higher for any given rpm. It may be possible to strengthen the bottom end components to stand up to higher revs, but this won't be cheap.

Also as the block is taller (about 12mm IIRC) the standard aftermarket manifolds (Toda etc) are not a straight fit.

Not impossible but a lot of work and cash.

I wasn't sure about the CL7 - I assumed it was the same as the Type S - but yes you got my drift Evs. I know about the stroke etc and associated works required - including a strenthening bar through the bottom of the block. Machining would also be required on various bits and pieces and as said, forged pistons and rods would be bought. The block is actually something like 19.3 mm taller and there would need to be some "jimmying" alright to allow the Toda manifold to curve under the car properly.

I completely understand that this isn't a "walk in the park" but altogether and on paper it's a far cheaper alternative... It is risky though... Well if it is something I decide to do, it'll be an interesting project at least! :D

nova

Advanced Member
Tarmac, this sound spretty messy why not just take the €5,000 sell your car and buy a 91 NSX!?!?!

It would suit you!!!

Tarmac

Advanced Member
nova said:
Tarmac, this sound spretty messy why not just take the €5,000 sell your car and buy a 91 NSX!?!?!

It would suit you!!!
because that would be boring. the teg is my hobby and if the above work was done to it, it would chew a 91 nsx up and spit it out lol :lol: :lol:

mikegsi

Staff member
speaking to a lad from the crxuk club, theres one of these engines already done for sale in america, the car it was in would run sub 10sec 1/4 miles, granted the car was made from carbon fibre and weighed next to nothing, but it cna and has been done, maybe a look on teh american rsx forums might help you out a little mate

Tarmac

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
speaking to a lad from the crxuk club, theres one of these engines already done for sale in america, the car it was in would run sub 10sec 1/4 miles, granted the car was made from carbon fibre and weighed next to nothing, but it cna and has been done, maybe a look on teh american rsx forums might help you out a little mate
perfect! gentleman - thx alot Mike.

Cheers.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
Mersey_typeR said:
Tarmac, at the costs you are looking at an IPS package might suit you better. :?:
i've already decided that if i was getting new cams, it'd most likely be the IPS K2's. we worked it out over the weekend that the K2's give better performance than even the new A3's from Toda. serious pieces of kit obviously - but they are VERY expensive. they are 1200 US dollars from IPS, but are 1200 £GBP from CPL - go figure eh! I guess that's probably import tax and all that jazz...

have u had IPS cams fitted Mersey?

CPL Racing

Tarmac said:
Mersey_typeR said:
Tarmac, at the costs you are looking at an IPS package might suit you better. :?:
i've already decided that if i was getting new cams, it'd most likely be the IPS K2's. we worked it out over the weekend that the K2's give better performance than even the new A3's from Toda. serious pieces of kit obviously - but they are VERY expensive. they are 1200 US dollars from IPS, but are 1200 £GBP from CPL - go figure eh! I guess that's probably import tax and all that jazz...

have u had IPS cams fitted Mersey?
Hi Tarmac,

Our price of £1220.00 includes the valve spings and Titanium retainers.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
CPL Racing said:
Hi Tarmac,

Our price of £1220.00 includes the valve spings and Titanium retainers.
aha! that's a great price in that case! i was factoring in those things as extra to the cost.

thanks for the clarification - a LOT more appealing now! 8)

do you have the above in stock?

Tarmac

Advanced Member
according to their website it is including VAT. seriously - can't go wrong with a price like that for a kit like that! :D