K24 k20 engine build, anyone on here done it?

Alicks

Advanced Member
Pretty interested in doing one of these over the winter this year. Anyone in here done one? I know there's a few guides. But I'm looking for realistic answers on
A, how hard the builds are
B, reliability issues
C, realistic costs
Looks like they easily make 270 bhp na which sounds like fun to me! But is it worth the effort???

Mark_teg

Staff member
Yes, Adam from Scotland has a k24 bottom end.. Think it was built by TDI north but can't say for sure.

Lewis93

Advanced Member
It wasn't a DC5 but same principle.

TDi North posted a picture last week of a K24 EP3 with ITB's, assuming it was swapped in by them I've also thought about it in the past.

Best thing to do is ring up a garage like TGM or TDi about it.

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
The TDi car is G on TRO. His is a Frankenstein'd K20/24 with stage 3 cams etc. it's an absolute beast of a car with masses of usable power. He should see between 320&340bhp once it's mapped.

Alicks

Advanced Member
Wow that's pretty serious!! I'm only looking for 270-280 using my stock head with the k25 bottom end. Just seems sensible for a track application. I'd worry with 300+ about all the other components. Gearbox, shafts etc that aren't designed to cope with the extra power. I want it to be faster but want to try and keep some reliability!
I'll contact tdi Monday tho guys thanks 👍

Dan34

Advanced Member
What about tdi's drop in cams? Would get close to those numbers you want!

R-39294

The k24 motor it's a good solution for natural aspired situations.
You need to have a head with more cfm, very good exhaust manifold and better intake maniford too (if you are running prc).
You also may need lighter forged pistons, I beam conrods, notice that stock K24 internals aren't the best choice for revving.
If you are planning revving until 8500 rpm you can use the stock K20A oil pump.
If you want to push further you must install oil pump from S2000.
You extra need
K24 engine timing belt cover plus K24 cam timing chain and Timing Chain Guides
alternator belt from K24,
engine bracket from crv,
modify the cables from the K24 crankshaft sensor,
K24 head gasket,
K24 Dipstic oil,
modify the K20A oil pump so it can fit - pass from the main girdle of the K24.
In the K24 block you must close a hole near in the oil pump, the K24 motor had it to lubricate a bearing from the balance shafts, otherwise you lose OIL PRESSURE
That's for a start mate.

integraleo

Advanced Member
So would end up costing about the same as installing a supercharger at that point.
Let's face it guys big power don't come cheap.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
So would end up costing about the same as installing a supercharger at that point.
Let's face it guys big power don't come cheap.
This all day long

integraleo

Advanced Member
Unfortunately yes,would love 280-300bhp but realistically it would cost me £3000+ to achieve this and I just can't warrant it at this time.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
It took me 3.5 years of ownership and 3 years of planning to finally do it mate soooooooooooooooo chuffed with it but trust me it isnt cheap when your buying great parts and getting top quality work done.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I've had mine for 3.5 years now and absolutely everything else is done. All I need is charger,belts,pulleys,injectors and a remap and my car would be complete.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
ooh I have 550cc injectors if there any good to you

K20 fitment

Yeah I stuck with NA got CNC head port and RBC port match cams valvetrain etc etc all done that stung a little in the wallet but a very fun car to play with now ;)

integraleo

Advanced Member
Thinking out loud mate on what the car needs to finish it off rather than what I'm actively searching for. If I ever come into some money I will be sure to contact you for injectors. At the minute a charger is just a pipe dream. I had planned on rebuilding the gearbox next March when I get my bonus from work but if I delay that for a bit (it's not actually bad just me being a perfectionist and thinking of fitting 5.1) if I save between now and then I might be able to charge mine.....Hmmm food for thought.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
What about tdi's drop in cams? Would get close to those numbers you want!
Many people on here have these? Does sound interesting from what I've read