.KAL files as temporary K-Pro solution? And MANIFOLD PICS!!!

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
Ah, just looked, I only have the bottom one. Will dig out later, might find the other two.
Let me know if you find the other two mate. And what is your view on the flow differences of those three different exhaust systems? Which flows best, worst, etc, etc.

NZITR

Advanced Member
Tiger_kpt said:
OK... I will remove the top heat shield and get some pictures snapped and put on here before I do anything else... I am sure that from the top... you would be able to tell what type of manifold it was I think...
Sounds OEM if it has a heatshield.

I took a look at the CTR ITR cams etc kal and it looked ok to me. I changed the ECU type to 3 and it then allowed the various settings such as lean protection to be set. It looked quite mild on the ignition side and suitable for a restricted exhaust setup. I did make the usual ITR tweaks to it and save it so let me know if you want to try it..

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
NZITR said:
Tiger_kpt said:
OK... I will remove the top heat shield and get some pictures snapped and put on here before I do anything else... I am sure that from the top... you would be able to tell what type of manifold it was I think...
Sounds OEM if it has a heatshield.

I took a look at the CTR ITR cams etc kal and it looked ok to me. I changed the ECU type to 3 and it then allowed the various settings such as lean protection to be set. It looked quite mild on the ignition side and suitable for a restricted exhaust setup. I did make the usual ITR tweaks to it and save it so let me know if you want to try it..
Yes mate... that sounds great. PLEASE send that map over to me... my current mods are Gruppe M and Mugen twin loop cat-back (is that quite a resrictive exhaust?)... I will be able to confirm the header later on this morning too.

I will PM you my e-mail address! Good job.

I am going out in the few minutes to remove the heat-shield and grab some pictures from the top and the bottom of the engine bay and post up on here so that I can determine what header setup is currently on the vehicle.

Cheers.

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
Also... does anyone have a step by step guide... or a link to one... of how to upload a .kal file to the K-Pro ECU? Can't seem to find a clear and concise one to print out and follow.

Right... off to take these pictures.

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
NZITR - thanks for e-mailing me that .kal map mate. Looks and sounds great.

I have just removed the manifold top heat-shield and have snapped a couple of pictures from the top of the rear engine bay... what header/manifold is this?

It doesn't "look" like the standard OE one. I was told when I purchased the car that it had a performance 2 piece de-cat header (brand unknown) installed on the car...

... and was also supplied with (as spare parts) what I was told was the standard OE heat-wrapped 4-2 (which I later found out to be a heat-wrapped Spoon 4-2) and the OE 2-1 CAT section.

So what is on the car?

I may have to go to a garage and get it up on the ramps to get some decent pictures taken from below.

Pics below...

Thanks.

I cannot get underneath or neither my arm and camera underneath enough to get decent pictures of the 2-1 section.

Pics below...

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
Hmmm. I am 50/50 as to whether it is standard OE 4-2 or another brand of 4-2. The 2-1 must be de-CAT as I have the OE 2-1 CAT section in my shed for it.

Going to get it on the ramps at a garage today and have it changed over to the Spoon 4-2 and OE CAT section I have.

Anyone else?

fonz600

Advanced Member
Tiger_kpt said:
Also... does anyone have a step by step guide... or a link to one... of how to upload a .kal file to the K-Pro ECU? Can't seem to find a clear and concise one to print out and follow.

Connect laptop to ECU. Switch on Laptop. Load Kmanager. Switch on ignition. Click on folder icon to open a map. Find your map and open it. Click on the UP arrow. I'm sure I told you that in a PM to you mate.
Your worrying me a little with wanting to try random maps on your car yet your unsure how to upload a map although I explained in a PM how to do it.
Please be careful.

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
fonz600 said:
Tiger_kpt said:

Connect laptop to ECU. Switch on Laptop. Load Kmanager. Switch on ignition. Click on folder icon to open a map. Find your map and open it. Click on the UP arrow. I'm sure I told you that in a PM to you mate.
Your worrying me a little with wanting to try random maps on your car yet your unsure how to upload a map although I explained in a PM how to do it.
Please be careful.
Hi fonz... sorry... I should have been more specific in that post... I get the basics as your described in your post and PM... but I am sure that there is a "sequence" you have to do in terms of the ignition sequences before and after uploading a map to the ECU that ensures the map is "saved" to the ECU and it doesn't wipe itself clean. I know you have to upload a map whilst at ignition point 2... then once uploaded... do you turn off ignition... move ignition to a different point... or just crank and start the engine up once it has completed the upload?

Also... any ideas on the header pics above?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Right that's OEM, I've just checked mine in my shed. The 4-2 you pictured in your other thread is not OEM, though I'm not 100% sure if it's the Spoon or other, but it looks like the Spoon.

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
By the way... looks to be a bottom heat-shield also on the manifold that is currently on the engine.

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
OK... so it has the 4-2 OE manifold on and an unknown 2-1.

I have booked the car into a garage down the road to have the Spoon 4-2 and 2-1 OE CAT section put on... will save me hassle come MOT time. Wonder what 2-1 section is on it... going to get all the heat-shields removed also.

So... if I have: -

Gruppe M
Spoon 4-2
OE CAT 2-1
Mugen twin loop CAT-back

Then which .kal file would suit me the most?

NZITR

Advanced Member
re uploading your kal, kmanager will take care of everything. Any key setting that offers you the upload option will work fine. No post upload save is required.

As discussed you really need to datalog and be sure you want try that kal file.

fonz600

Advanced Member
Tiger_kpt said:

I have booked the car into a garage down the road to have the Spoon 4-2 and 2-1 OE CAT section put on... will save me hassle come MOT time. Wonder what 2-1 section is on it... going to get all the heat-shields removed also.

Gruppe M
Spoon 4-2
OE CAT 2-1
Mugen twin loop CAT-back

Prob the one I sent u with OEM mani but will still need to datalog and see. There ain't gonna be a map which will work 100% straight away mate as each car is different.

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
fonz600 said:
Tiger_kpt said:

Gruppe M
Spoon 4-2
OE CAT 2-1
Mugen twin loop CAT-back

Prob the one I sent u with OEM mani but will still need to datalog and see. There ain't gonna be a map which will work 100% straight away mate as each car is different.
What other mods were on your car for the OEM manifold map you sent? In terms of exhaust and intake?

I should be getting my car back this afternoon with the Spoon 4-2 and the OEM CAT section back on it. Had a look underneath whilst they had it on the ramps before leaving them to it and it was the OE manifold with a custom made 2-1 de-CAT pipe that sits in exactly the same place and space as the OE CAT section. Not a bad piece of work. May bang it up for sale.

fonz600

Advanced Member
:lol: You really need to read your mail more thorough mate.
OEM one is with Toda exhaust and GruppeM.

Tiger_kpt

Advanced Member
IMAO... my head has been in a tizz whizz with it all...

Anyway... got the car back... Spoon 4-2 and OE 2-1 on OK. All good there.

Removed the J's Racing ECU... installed the K-Pro.

Uploaded the map that NZITR sent me... he converted it successfully so that it could run on an ITR instead of the CTR... it was the CTR-ITRcams.kal one suitable for Gruppe M, Spoon header and Spoon exhaust.

Uploaded fine. Started the engine fine. Then took it for a drive. Drive consisted of rush hour traffic in town center... then a short cruise at 40ish... then had a 3rd gear WOT run from around 2000rpm... came to a stop... turned around... made some space... then another 3rd gear WOT run, then a cruise/drive home to the drive where I saved it and turned off the engine.

Fonz... I will e-mail you the datalog file... does anyone else want me to send them a copy so that they can have a go at interpreting it, etc? If so... PM me your e-mail please. Would appreciate the feedback.

The flash MIL light option was on the map... and never once saw this flash... so I am assuming no knock?

Not sure on A/F ratio and other areas. See what you guys come up with.

Definitely seems to run a lot better. Although revs do seem to dip a little below the 750rpm set idle level when coming off the throttle... not sure if this is normal.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Kyle.