keep or sell?

tedg

Advanced Member
Hi all,

i have been trying to sell my black 02 dc5 for a while now.... well to be honest i havn't really put much effort in trying to sell.

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 671#190671

It has been nestled nicely in a garage for the last two or three months untouched and since it is fully insured and taxed it seems a bit of a waste.

Given the recent price drops in DC5 prices do i trash the price and sell?

Or

keep as a project to buy a trailer (and towbar) and turn into a dedicated track day toy ?

Since i may be looking at buying a house in the new year my head says go for a quick sale. My heart is saying to keep it .......

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to buy a trailer for a trackday toy, keep it road legal too, its not too difficult, if you don't need the money then keep of course.

MrHanky

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
You don't need to buy a trailer for a trackday toy, keep it road legal too, its not too difficult, if you don't need the money then keep of course.
As mentioned above, if you don't need to sell, and do intend to use the car then keep it. If it is just going to sit around in your garage though, I would get rid of it. No point in having 8k sitting around doing little more than depreciate.

Mark

tedg

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
true, just trying to skimp on the insurance and tax

tedg

Advanced Member
MrHanky said:
As mentioned above, if you don't need to sell, and do intend to use the car then keep it. If it is just going to sit around in your garage though, I would get rid of it. No point in having 8k sitting around doing little more than depreciate.
Mark

Keep thinking i would sell, buy a house and then 6 or 12 months down the line, buy a DC2 or something for track days

logik

Advanced Member
With the current price of cars i think you would be mad to sell it. If you did let it go for cheap money, i really think you would regret it 6 months down the line.

Martctr

Advanced Member
I want black! I have white, but I miss having nighthawk black.

I'd say price is the problem :( no offence, but I paid 9k a year ago for my 01 and although yours is an 02 mine was on 38k when I got it and in very good condition

Credit crunch and just before crimbo :cry: I really like and if the market was better I'd sell mine and try get yours, but I know I'd struggle to get 8k at the moment.

mikegsi

Staff member
tricky one mate, ALL cars have lost value and its a bad time of year to sell, buyers are usung this to their full advantage and offering silly numbers knowing most people are desperate to sell to claw some money back for other things.

on the other hand unless you can readily afford to have 8k plus sat in your garage and only coming out now and again for trackdays is it really worthwhile?

my trackday toy was only a grands worth and i couldnt warrant even that for the amount of trackdays i do

tedg

Advanced Member
exactly we had a dip in the prices, they will not ever go up in price.

a couple of grand for trackdays will be reallly cool, just maybe not 7k or so, I think I should keep selling ...

there is no point in me using for day to day driving as work pays for ALL of my home miles in the bimmer.

celox performance

Advanced Member
Keep it as a track toy xdevilking . I always think to myself what other car could I have for the same amount of money and be as quick round a track as my teg is, keeping it practicle that is :?

I've driven a lot of different cars round a track but the Teg is something special and if I was to strip it out and give it a bit more power I can only imagine what it would be capable of :D

mikegsi

Staff member
celox performance said:
Keep it as a track toy xdevilking . I always think to myself what other car could I have for the same amount of money and be as quick round a track as my teg is, keeping it practicle that is :?

I've driven a lot of different cars round a track but the Teg is something special and if I was to strip it out and give it a bit more power I can only imagine what it would be capable of :D

even just stripped out makes a big difference, ive said before about paul g's teg, no power mods, running his brake set up and semi slicks he annihalated my 250bhp teg round croft... i had him in the straights (just) but he more than outdid me on the bends, the weight saved is a massive difference

turbo5

Advanced Member
I have had my facelift DC5 since Aug 2005,
When I bought the car, I was really into cars, and I used to organise the Honda Tour, go on nurbergring trips etc when I wasn't driving or attending meets I would be on the car forums.
Since then other events have taken up my free time and money, mainly a new baby (he is 13 months old) so I could say my enthusiasm has dwindled slightly.
I have the baby seat in the car (on a positive note it has isofix points and a decent size hatch for the pram etc)
I am at a stage where practically and due to the car approaching 4 years of age I would like to change the car, its killing me loading the baby into the back, the Recaro's don't stay down so its a balancing act trying to hold the seat down and lift a baby in the back whilst still stood outside the car.
If I could pick a car I would want an Audi 3.0TDI quatro Avant S line. or maybe a BMW X5 3.0D.
but in the current economic climate I don't know whether I want to go into debt to buy a newer car. the bank loan I got to buy the car finishes in January, so I will be £250 a month better off. I am no spring chicken so insurance isn't a problem and I benefit with the road tax as the car is classed as PLG at £185 per year compared to something which would be £800 per year in 2010 for a similar performance car. The car is very reliable, servicing is cheap and it never lets me down.

So considering my options I have decided to keep the car. When I do get chance to drive it properly (not the 5 mile round trip to work everyday) it still brings a smile to my face and it still turns heads due to its rarity. I may keep it until it doesn't stand me anything (currently its worth £12K - £13K which is too much to strip down as a track toy and buy myself another main car. its only done 27,000 miles so I only put on about 5000 miles a year as long as I don't do a euro tour.

clio_phil

I was in the same situation as you, car was sat in the garage looking nice but doing nothing. tax ran out, insurance ran out and i was just too tight to renew everything knowing it would be stuck in my garage.
So i advertised it and sold it within 2 weeks

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Very sad to see it go i must say, very sad indeed.

But on the bright side ive payed off my debt and had enough left over to buy one of these:

You havent felt real power till youve been on a 550 berg

:D :D :D

tedg

Advanced Member
Well the conclusion after speaking myself nearly into swapping for a highly modded DC2 plus cash that i was very very tempted, is that i have sold it for cash outright.

I was very very sad to see it go.

The money will do the right thing and go into a new house.... however that doesn't mean i can't investigate getting back in the fold next summer - for a pure track car build.

g_mac

i am in same situation as you, my 04 teg hasnt moved from my garage in 2months but i refuse to take silly money for it and with credit crunch etc i'm not even going to advertise it, it will stay there until next summer :(