Keeping calipers looking their best

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Any suggestions?

Does anybody use wax or sealant? I'd always assumes the high temperatures would stop that from working?

Anything else you use to actually clean them up at all?

martinj46

Advanced Member
I put a few coats of wheel sealant on mine when I re-painted them last year. It made cleaning them a little easier, but it didn't last very long. As you say, I can't imagine the heat being ideal for a wax/sealant.

As for cleaning them, I just give them a spray of wheel cleaner (bilberry for me) and a once over with a brush when doing my wheels

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Thanks both. I forgot about that Mark. Just not sure if that's maybe a bit too hot but I guess they don't get as hot as the discs or anything so worth a try.

Wheel cleaner I'm not so sure about as I'm sure it was that which made them fade the last time. I don't actually use wheel cleaner anymore either. I seem to find that a good wash with normal shampoo and a layer of sealant after is enough which I'm pretty pleased about as I was going through the Meg's wheel cleaner really quickly and it's not cheap if you're using it a lot.

Rom

Advanced Member
Acidic wheel cleaner can cause them to fade.
Something like Bilberry shouldnt. Ive used Bilberry for years, i can think of at least 3 sets of painted brakes without issue.

As for sealing, ive always used Zaino Z-CS, but its not cheap. Its a spray on, like a QD spray, so easy to use. Its what i use on my wheels too.

Rom

Advanced Member
Where do you live ? Ive seen you chatting with Adam (Gok) who i know is Bristol. Your more than welcome to try some and see how it goes, im in Bristol.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Cheers fella. Very kind of you! I live the other side of the bridge in Cwmbran, South Wales. Not far really. Often meet up with Gok, Jimmer and Mark_teg.

I'm actually up at Adam's place (Gok) on the last Sunday of the month as the paint work desperately needs going over with some cutting compound running up to JapFest.

I'd better not ask you around as I think he's already having a "Gok moment" about 4 DC5's possibly being on his drive :D

Have you met up with Adam yet? There's often a meet nearby. They had one yesterday actually although I couldn't make it.

He also organises a meet at Bristol Honda 2 - 3 times per year so it would be good if you could come along next time mate. Looking at the pics of your 205 engine bay I think you and Adam would get on well! lol

I've just added some of this tonight:

Not likely to be half as good as what you are using put perhaps good enough until I see you at some point :)

Rom

Advanced Member
Ive not met anyone yet no.

Technically, im not an owner yet i guess. My car is currently on its way over from Japan. On route to the Suez Canal last i checked. Not expecting to get my hands on it until early June sadly. I will be coming to Japfest though, so definitely meet some of you there. Not been since i had my Rex.

Whos doing yours? Adam, or theres a painter guy i think your all friends with ? (Sorry, epic forum stalker level reached!) Ill be ordering a machine polisher soon myself. Need to tart up the Audi for its sale, and the DC5 will need to be spanking. Cant use works anymore, so finally time to pony up and get one.

Im sure that wax will be fine mate. Im not really a brand snob. I use Zaino after i got a tester of Z8 given to me. Its not cheap stuff, but i get on well with it, and its easy to remember all the naming of it.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
The wait must be a killer! It'll be worth it though I'm sure. RX7 or 8 was it you owned? Never really that impressed with the 8 but the 7 is a real legend.

Yep, Adam has very kindly offered to machine it for me so I'm doing a full detail at his place.

If you're thinking of Jimmer he's a college lecturer I believe but he does have access to the college painting booth. He lives in Weston-S-Mare so not too far away. I'll bare the Zaino in mind mate, thanks.

Rom

Advanced Member
Sorry, i meant CRX, also know as Rex . I had an EF8 SiR, my first Honda.

Id love an RX7, not interested in an 8. But i need to get a child seat and the mrs in it. So 7 is a no no, thats why the crx had to go.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Ah of course my bad. Well when you get your DC5 you'll have to start a build thread. A lot of owners do a brief list of previous cars owned as an intro so it would be good to see some pic's of your old cars as some sound interesting!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Think I better weigh in here! Lol

Firstly I think that any wax should be ok on calipers unless you are doing lots of track action. Then you wouldn't bother anyway.

I always use AutoGlym wheel cleaner and it's always been kind to my wheels and at a good price.

It would be good to have all four Tegs at mine. Means we can all laugh, I mean, help with Daves poorly neglected car. 😉

As for meets, I'm going to have another word with Scott at Bristol Honda to arrange something. Will do a post over the weekend seeing what people want from it and when to have it.

Adam

Rom

Advanced Member
I assume that's a link to my intro thread (not working on tapatalk)
But yeah, links are in it to my 2 main car build threads on detailing world. Both pretty extensive.

Expect something similar for the teg. Loads of pictures etc.

Seeing as this has turned into a Bristol thread. I'll throw this out there.
I'm a main dealer tech, so if you ever get stuck for tools, or need a hand give me a shout.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk