Keeping white looking white

Martctr

Advanced Member
Okay I've had it a week and armed with my new touch pen set about dealing with a couple of stone chips. Whilst hunting about the car I've noticed some very small orange dots which has to be rust? just a few here and there, nothing major, but I'm fussy so how can I sort this?

Love the colour, but it's gonna be an arse to keep clean. Had NHB before and a quick trip to the jet wash would do for in between serious hand washes. Tried it today with the DC5 and it's still filthy lol.

Any tips on keeping it nice would be great. I have Autoglym and meguirs cleaning glove and the drying cloth.

jay82

Advanced Member
i wash my car once a week. it breaks my heart every time i touch the brakes cause i no my front wheels are gonna be black with brake dust. its a white car,it'll just take elbow grease to keep her sparkling if your gonna be driving it everyday. the last time i waxed my car was about september. gonna wait till after the winter to do it next.

The Mofo

Advanced Member
Get a good wax or polish on. I use Zymol on mine and not only does it look fantastic afterwards it makes washing the car easier as the dirt sits on top of the wax.

Also you might to consider not going to jet washes anymore as they'll leave lots of swirl marks and damage your paint.

Could the orange be the under coat? I would see about getting a paint depth meter to find out. I know Danny mentioned that his JDM Civic has very thin paint on it.

LeeH

Advanced Member
The Mofo said:
Also you might to consider not going to jet washes anymore as they'll leave lots of swirl marks and damage your paint.
No, its best to get rid on the loose crap on the car before you wash it. A pressure washer for £40 is a sound invesment.

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
The Mofo said:
I'm sorry but I disagree.
If your using just the jet wash as opposed to the brush this will reduce the chances of swirling.

The majority of swirling is caused by poor surface prep before washing & poor washing & drying methods imo.

As for keeping CW looking CW. Might be worth having the car detailed properly once & then keeping it clean.
Mine stayed very white using a decent wash method, polish & wax.

keevster

Advanced Member
What i now use, which most of the detailers are using is a foam lance.

You can either use this via your pressure washer or on a hose attachment.

Basically using this first with some snow foam and your shampoo of choice losens all the grit and dirt on the bodywork. After its foamed up jet wash(on spray mode) or hose off. Never direct a pressure washer on maximum power directly into the paint work, because its been heard of that it can strip the paint. :roll:

Then its onto the two bucket method, one with grit guard and the other clean water. Basically swirl marks are caused by poor washing technique.
For most folks, they wash the car with same sponge/mit, this will only trap particles of dirt and grit, this will then be spread accross the bodywork causing small scratches and swirl marks to the clear coat on your car.
If you adopt the two bucket method with a grit guard you should prevent this, also a nice lambs wool washing mit, there worth there waiting gold :lol:
However if the damage is done, a good detail with some cutting polish and a machine should sort this out.
Some sealant then a good quality wax should give you ultimate protection in this weather.

If you dont have the equipment to do this, best of paying a detailer to carry this out for you, then adopt safe washing technique and you should keep your bodywork spic and span. :lol:

The champ white does show up every mark, but if you can keep on top of it and your car is well protected then you should have no issues, i know i dont :?:

Paul :wink:

LeeH

Advanced Member
I've got one of those Paul :D

What shampoo do you mix with the SSF? I use Megs Shampoo Plus to good effect but I have seen some folks on DW get it like shaving foam :shock:

keevster

Advanced Member
LeeH said:
I've got one of those Paul :D

What shampoo do you mix with the SSF? I use Megs Shampoo Plus to good effect but I have seen some folks on DW get it like shaving foam :shock:
Use the same stuff mate. Also have dabbled with Mothers shampoo, but the megs defo gives the best lather :lol:

keevster

Advanced Member
dotty said:

That would break my heart to get my Champ white DC5 into that state :lol: :lol: :wink:

Mine is in the garage just now all wrapped up in its car cover. But looking out at the weather, with it being dry, i just want to rip the cover off and go out and drive it. After all thats what its for, but its just the thought of having to spend time on it getting it cleaned in this cold weather, and the fact that it gets smothered in road salt :evil: I dont take any pride in cleaning a car properly in this cold. Washed it yesterday and my mitts where numb :lol: :oops:

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Fer crying out loud lol!!

Everyone likes a clean car, but not driving it for the sake of having to clean it again is a joke!

just drive it fer sake!

dotty

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:

Everyone likes a clean car, but not driving it for the sake of having to clean it again is a joke!

just drive it fer sake!
I agree, It makes me laugh when you see "Never driven in the wet" :lol:

DC5TU

Advanced Member
never seen the sunshine, only driven on a blue wednesday in the third quarter of saturn, and only then if the postmans been before 3

dotty

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:
never seen the sunshine, only driven on a blue wednesday in the third quarter of saturn, and only then if the postmans been before 3
OMGWTFBBQKTHXBYE My car never goes out in the rain it must be covered up in the garage LOLZBEBOFACEBOOK

keevster

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:

just drive it fer fukks sake!

Whits it got to do with you when i drive my car :evil:

I personally dont see the point in taking the car out in this weather, when i have another car for that purpose. When the weather is sh1t, you canny drive the DC5 to the best of its ability, and the fact that road salt corrodes the sh1t out of it. :wink:
My DC5 wasny bought for the sole purpose of putting 25k a year on it. Its bought as a second weekend car, :lol: and having to put it off the road for a few months a year, aint really a killer is it :?: In my eyes its only going to increase its sell ability, low miles, and as clean as a whistle :lol:

And! the comment about never been out in the rain or sh1tty weather, i know if i was gona go and look at a car in a private sale, and this was the case that it had been taken out only on dry weather, then i would show a strong interest in buying a car thats been treated this way. And being perfectly honest so would most folks. At the end of the day, these are the cars that are up for sale for a day only, as they get snapped up quick style.

Its all down to individual taste folks. If folks want to get there buzz out of using a car at weekends only in the summer months, there not the guys thats gona be hit in the pocket come sale time, the 25krs a year are the ones thats gona feel it :lol: , i've been there :?:

Anyway, rant over, lets get back to the original topic. :wink:

dotty

Advanced Member
So what do you do if you're driving it on the weekend and you get caught out by a downpour? :shock:

Do you retreat to the nearest garage and stay undercover till the rain goes away. :?:

Honestly I really dont understand it :?

dotty

Advanced Member
Secretly the windscreen wipers and washer bottle are an additional extra for UK bound DC5's. They are not standard items in Japan :lol: