Keith Michaels wins again!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

Thought I would let you know how I got on as I have lots of mods and need cheap track day cover. Also im 34 with 8 years NCB, no convictions or anything whatsoever.

I got my renewal through from Keith Michaels at £585 up £44 from last years premium of £541, I wasn't happy! This is also with a flat fee of £60 per track day. The track day cover is important to me as I do several days a year so has a significant impact on the overall cost for the year.

So I phoned around and the results were...

[*]Greenlight £489 with a £50 flat fee for track day cover but they wont cover Castle Combe which is a shame as its my local
[*]Sky £420 with a guide price of £90 per track day cover
[*]Adrian Flux £800
[*]Sainsburys couldn't quote me as I had too many mods!
[*]A-Plan £464 with track day cover at £75

I called Keith Michaels to see if they could do any better on their renewal price and since they were underwritten by the same company as Greenlight (Highway Insurance Company Ltd) they agreed to match the price and bring the flat fee for track day cover down to £50 and they also cover Castle Combe RESULT!

Thanks to Jeremy from Keith Michaels xthumbup

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I speak with Jeremy every year ever since he agreed to insurance me when I was 19 on my Celica but last 3 years hasn't been able to beat the likes of Greenlight :(

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Yep everyone was just a disappointment after Greenlight who were the first company I spoke to, I almost didn't go back and speak to Keith Michaels but thought I'd give it a go at the last minute. As I said the track day cover was a big part of it otherwise I would have gone with A-Plan, then Keith Michaels just clinched it by a hair with covering Castle Combe for me.

I have been with A-Plan before and in my last few years of ownership it seems Keith Michaels, A-Plan and Greenlight are the most competitive. I had high hopes for Sainsburys as some people have had unbelievably good quotes with them. I felt sorry for the old man I was speaking to with Sainsburys, he couldn't understand why his system wouldn't let him go any further, then it turned out I had too many mods so the system stopped him in his tracks. Probably wouldn't have even understood what I meant by track day cover lol

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Yea I was surprised when everyone started going ape about Sainsburys but hey yo yo win some lose some, maybe it'll work in my favour I'm over 21 and had the '5 for 1 year now?

Neil@Greenlight

Authorised Trader
maxvr6 said:
Hi Guys,

Thought I would let you know how I got on as I have lots of mods and need cheap track day cover. Also im 34 with 8 years NCB, no convictions or anything whatsoever.

I got my renewal through from Keith Michaels at £585 up £44 from last years premium of £541, I wasn't happy! This is also with a flat fee of £60 per track day. The track day cover is important to me as I do several days a year so has a significant impact on the overall cost for the year.

I called Keith Michaels to see if they could do any better on their renewal price and since they were underwritten by the same company as Greenlight (Highway Insurance Company Ltd)
Just to confirm mate we are a broker and deal with a number of underwriters, we were actually using Enterprise for your quote not Highway LV.....Definately strange how your renewal quote could drop from £585 to £489

You would of thought if £489 was available that would of been your renewal quote. I dont understand why a company would increase your price by £44 to £585 when they could get it for £489 just doesnt make sense.

Eitherway mate glad you got it sorted and thanks for the kind comments on our service though mate.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Hi Neil, no probs mate I would say your customer service was above all the best, really helpful with a positive attitude, just a shame about Castle Combe.

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Neil@Greenlight said:
Just to confirm mate we are a broker and deal with a number of underwriters, we were actually using Enterprise for your quote not Highway LV.....Definately strange how your renewal quote could drop from £585 to £489

You would of thought if £489 was available that would of been your renewal quote. I dont understand why a company would increase your price by £44 to £585 when they could get it for £489 just doesnt make sense.

Eitherway mate glad you got it sorted and thanks for the kind comments on our service though mate.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight
I get that from Sky Insurance every year and when I call to ask them if they can beat the renewal they sent through, they tell me its the "best price"..funny enough when I call through to Keith Michaels or Yourselves at Greenlight and get a much cheaper quote and call back, they say they could match it..

If you want to keep business you would have thought that sending the best quote at renewal would make it it so much better than making us call around for a few prices.

Mine is due in the next 2 weeks, so I wonder what the renewal quote would be when the paperwork comes through :xaiweb3:

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
RE Spirit said:
I get that from Sky Insurance every year and when I call to ask them if they can beat the renewal they sent through, they tell me its the "best price"..funny enough when I call through to Keith Michaels or Yourselves at Greenlight and get a much cheaper quote and call back, they say they could match it..

If you want to keep business you would have thought that sending the best quote at renewal would make it it so much better than making us call around for a few prices.

Mine is due in the next 2 weeks, so I wonder what the renewal quote would be when the paperwork comes through :xaiweb3:
That's exactly why I didn't go with a few insurance companies last year even though it cost me £50 or so.

They told me what they offered was the best price, but then without hesitating they beat the offer I got told I had, so surly that other price wasn't the Best? No thanks.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I will also be getting my renewal through from Keith Michaels in the next 2 weeks. Will see what I get as Sky upted my insurance by nearly £100 last year!! You do have to play them off of each other. And who ever gets the lowest quote, wins!

integraleo

Advanced Member
Mine was roughly £100 quid less than my renewal price from sky after I told them my quote from greenlight they matched it and knocked 20 quid off.

Neil@Greenlight

Authorised Trader
integraleo said:
Mine was roughly £100 quid less than my renewal price from sky after I told them my quote from greenlight they matched it and knocked 20 quid off.
Thats Crazy how can that happen??

Insurance prices are scientifically calculated based on mileage, Postcode, Modifications, NCB and numerous other factors. Its not a case of pick a figure out of thin air.

If you didnt change anything on your policy (like reduce mileage etc) how can the companies best renewal offer be reduced by £100 only because of a lower quote from a competitor. if you hadnt of rung around where would that extra £100 of gone??

Personally as a consumer i would never reward any company/retailer with my business who tried to charge me £100 more than they could actually get the item for in the first place.

Surely the best price is the best price

Best Regards
Neil
greenlight

integraleo

Advanced Member
Neil@Greenlight said:
Thats Crazy how can that happen??

Insurance prices are scientifically calculated based on mileage, Postcode, Modifications, NCB and numerous other factors. Its not a case of pick a figure out of thin air.

If you didnt change anything on your policy (like reduce mileage etc) how can the companies best renewal offer be reduced by £100 only because of a lower quote from a competitor. if you hadnt of rung around where would that extra £100 of gone??

Personally as a consumer i would never reward any company/retailer with my business who tried to charge me £100 more than they could actually get the item for in the first place.

Surely the best price is the best price

Best Regards
Neil
greenlight
I totally agree but it's always been the case with insurance. It's the same story every year,get a renewal price ring round for better prices,go back to original company and 9 times out of ten get a reduced price. Due to everyone having different cars,mods,ages,postcode and so on there is no one price.
People with almost identical stats could be paying vastly different sums of money purely based on how much they ring around every year. It's very wrong I agree but due to the way insurance is done it's impossible to police who is being ripped off for a big profit and who is paying "the going rate" as it were. Even if some companies are massively over charging nothing is done. Few years ago when using comparison site I got a quote for a supra,best price was around 450 quid but scroll down a bit and some companies were wanting 3000!!!! Totally ludicrous

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Just been quoted £530 with Keith michaels for track day cover too at £60 a session.

I'm 29, 13 years driving 12 years no claims do 10k a year and the car is kept in a garage. Mods are only exhaust, suspension and induction. Live in a BS (Bristol) postcode. Seems slightly more than Max's but I have less mods. ???

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Lol. Scratch that.

£430 with track day cover on Castle Combe with Markerstudy for £60 a day. Price depends on other circuits.

In all fairness, Adrian flux quoted me £470 straight away then got down to £430. But track day cover was £129 on Castle Combe.

So back on the phone to KM and I'm all sorted now. European cover too for a trip to Monaco again!! 👍

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Happy one here too. Got my renewal through which (was a good price as is)...called them up to see if there was any movement and they dropped it another £35 to a flat fee. Result! Very happy with that. Total of £95 saving from last year, and the whole conversation took about 5 mins. Haha no annoying questions to keep going through