Kingston goes to Donnington

kingston

Advanced Member
Ok, dont want to read about my escapade at Donnington then dont read on :!: :!:

Show time started at 12 noon on Saturday with the first proper clean in roughly 8 months - clay bar, polish wax etc forgot to clean underneath the rear window where all the shite accumalates but hey ho.

5 hours later (inc wheel change) and the interior not cleaned, the results where;

Anyway, get up way to early for a sunday to be there for before 9.20 in order to attend a track session, get there for about 8.30ish where it all starts to go wrong, cars not meant to be on a stand and only there for track time inc passengers as a pr thing for GTC - car ends up on the BP stand with a few others and me wishing i didnt change over to the CTR rims;

Anyway, as its a PR thing for GTC, we've got to wear some race wear for them, so i don the GTC sponsored race style shirt and the missus wears a fleece which as it turns out proved valuable.

Knowing Si's racing in TA, we decide to go and find him in the pits and just straight through security without a challenge, Si's obviously surprised to see us as we're not allowed in but gives us some official bands anyway. Thanks for that Si, Helen enjoyed the experience xthumbup and asks if theres anymore pass's going again, she would like some :wink:

Anyway, we wander in and out as we like watching some of the racing, missed Si's final session due to watching the Pole Dancers, looking around and the sessions being delayed due to an earlier gearbox spill. Watched some of the pro's go out and learn that an Evo has a touring car driver behind the wheel :shock: Again, missus enjoyed it more than i did mainly down to the noise and general experience but heres soem photos i took;

DC2 flying;

Someone winning a prize for being a numpty and running low on fuel :wink:

Nice evo, exhaust pokes out the side, lairy paint job, eventually blew an engine/gearbox or something;

In between the TA sessions, you had some public sessions happening;

So with more wandering around waiting for my allocated slot of 5.20 (eventually move it to 5.00 by the swift move of a pen), we see more 'chavs' than ever, more grubby marks on the cars windows, birds i wouldnt touch in a club as models etc etc my time finally comes.

Having spoken to Si about the course (having never driven it) i was filled with, not fear but comprehension about the course, especially as i was using tyres i dont like and are to thin.

However, after a few quick laps i soon learned the circuit and started to enjoy it. Ended up getttign stuck behind an M3 who whilst i could take in the corners and under braking (strictly against the rules and i didnt want to be ejected), i didnt have the power to get past in the straight;

Eventually get passed him on a straight :D and he drops off totally, however now im leading the pack and where before i was using him as a guide to braking i was now on my own;

An image that almost everyone saw;

With a clear track in front of me, i started to push abit harder, get more of a gap between those behind me, lead to my downfall - whilst going round the nice fast corner at the end of the start/finish straight and at around the mid point, the backend stepped out and i dont know why though ive got a feeling its due to lifting off :?

I managed to keep it on track but totally lost all momentum i had and with people gaining on me, i had to let them past before pulling back on track :roll: and start all over again :?

Anyway, quickly cuaght up with the back markers and took them before catching up with the Supra

and the damned M3 again.long story short, the M3 slwoed us all down again and i tormented the Supra in the corners. Again could have gone past him there but didnt, he knows this and admitted to it after :lol:

Anyway, with what i thought was a clear track behind me, i look up to see a blue nova in my rear view mirror, pull to the side an he just shoots past, however, i didnt feel too bad at the end though as i find out that its got a 2.0lt turbo'd engine with roughly :shock:

So what did i learn from this track - i need to work on my braking ie knowing when to brake and having more confidence in the brakes, need to work on my power delivery in the corner (though if it was a proper track day id have worked on it then) though i felt happy with my lines which tended to be close to ontop of the curb in the corners. Whether this is correct or not i dont know (anyone...). Only trouble spot i had was the chicane which was down to braking and i took most of the course in 3rd or 4th, was tempted to sneak it into 5th in some locations but would have had to down shift 5 secs later for a corner so didnt bother, again if it was a track day id have worked on this but it was only 20mins long and i didnt have confidence in my tyres (which performed better than i expected).

Despite myself not being happy with my performance, spectators and other drivers commented on how well i handled the car so...

Also my passenger (head PR person for BP) said that even though he enjoyed the experience and at the start he hungry, he ended up clutching the door handle and feeling sick. I thought my drive was quite smooth (excluding the spin) with the engine being kept in 6k+ most of the way :D

Its a shame i didnt borrow a vid camera and record the session but never mind.

Overall i enjoyed Donnington more than Bedford.

Heres soem more pics;

Proof that the Castrol DC5 goes on track despite being sluggish;

Yella A3 that was very quick and left me behind;

was also over taken by an Evo and Porsche

One fear that i did have was that whilst everyone would be pushing it and whilst being near the front, i had fears that people would out brake themselves and id get punted;

Id leave this Accord behind on the corner and straights though underbraking hed catch up - pre spin/m3 overtake;

When we pulled in at the end, his brakes where smoking :!: :!: :!:

Sorry this went on and i tried to be flowing and grammer correct but gave up near the start :D

I did take more pics and will be getting more from an official photographer at a later point, which ill post whether you like it or not :p

Sw00p

interesting read m8.

glad you enjoyed it and at the end of the day that is what matters. despite the fact you thought you were too slow. you probably were not really.

kingston

Advanced Member
yeah was good fun, just reread my above post, so many grammatical errors for the grammer police, theyre going to have a field day.

Got loads more photos too that show the DC5's pulling away from the pack but never mind

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Good story and pics. You did the right thing, start slow and build confidence until you find the limit, then try not to overshoot :wink:

Well done for staying out of the gravel.

kingston

Advanced Member
yeah, tbh i still dont know why the backend stepped out but c'est la vie, oh i lost it on the inside of the corner and so went slightly onto the grass when i corrected it and pointed it in the right direction

was only a 20 minute session so couldnt work on my skills too much but something that does keep popping up is my confidence in braking

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
always always only ever brake in a straight line, do it mid corner and its all over.

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
Glad you enjoyed it mate :wink:

I'd think your back end drama was due to lift off over steeri but it's something you've learnt from now & some more experience.
You'll only get better & better :wink:

Jayk

Advanced Member
nice one mate, i love donnington always used to do it in my vx220.

did the backend step out at Redgate? thats a tricky one, spun quite often there when trying to get the VX round it quicker and quicker.

its a great circut, build up your confidence, push it harder and harder on each lap or session, have faith in the car, make that diff work and it will go around the bends!

soon you will be left foot braking mid point in the bend if your to quick, way better than lifting of!

im doing donnington end of may if your up for doing it again give me a shout, im going with some guys from the Lancer Register.

kingston

Advanced Member

yeah think its redgates that i 'spun'; the back end stepped out 85% to the left so i turned into it and it self levelled to the inside of the track. though i dont remember there being a straight between bends, more like a gradual bend into the bends.

Like i said before though, wasnt pushing it to much, i could have probably gone faster round the corners and used any potential understeer to my advantage but was trying to stick to the line and i had the bridgeys on, not the yokos.

No can do on that track day, insurance is due at the start of May and need to pay for that. thinking about going with HIC due to them inc. track insurance as part of the insurance 8) and now being 25 :cry: they recognise me :D

will start looking to do some in June onwards though, either brands/Silverstone/bedford and maybe some more.

Damn its addictive though isnt it :lol:

Vampyre VTi

looks like you had an ace time!

and some ace pics.. but whats with the dodgy photoshopped ones?!

and looks like thats an S3 that over took you though!

kingston

Advanced Member
yeah it was good fun but a long day, wish we didnt get there so early but then again i thought id be out on track at 9.20 so...

yeah the A3 over took and left me for dead, he also over took the M3 that was in front on that straight too so he wasnt standard.

as for the dodgy p/shop ones, got bored and thought id do something creative. Got loads more photos (200+) and theres only so much time i want to sppend shrinking them down :wink:

kingston

Advanced Member
DTM - No just for the day, part of a corporate thing :wink:

Si - Fair enough, so taking similar lines then it seems. Just alot of people seem to be taking middle of the track option

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
great stuff!!!

Whats with all the photoshopped cars though?? or did I miss something???

*Edit.. Ahh I see, cowboy, lol.

Rob CTR

Advanced Member
Good stuff - know what your saying about gears used - i found i was getting into 5th just under that huge tyre before the chicane, but the rest of the course was all 3rd and 4th.

Its such a learning curve.

Loved the curve leading on to that main straight (Coppice corner) - awesome

kingston

Advanced Member
yeah, i think i snuck it into 5th on a few occasions but due to my braking problem, i felt it better to leave it in fourth than be to busy with braking/down shifting/learning the art of left foot braking etc etc so i mainly stayed in 3/4 and only once went into 2nd at the chicane due to traffic

yeah i liked that curve or just generally the whole circuit (bar the chicane) as you could see what was coming up ahead at several points and how much traffic there was in front/what was happening.

will definately have to put the yokos on next time though and have more time. 8)