Km or miles?

WalshDC5

Advanced Member
I've recently seen a lot of for sale adverts stating that the advertised DC5 is in KMs and not miles? Are some DC5s imported and kept in KMs? I thought they would've all been changed over or is that dependant on who it's imported by? I r confused

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Could be Irish imports. A lot of dc5s have been bought out of Ireland the last few years cos they were about half the price they would all be in kms. If a car is imported from Japan it needs its clocks converted to be registered(I think) someone will confirm this soon I'm sure

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
Importer normally convert it for customers. If you don't want the conversion, just tell them.
I told Torque-GT I don't want any kph to mph and odometer conversion.

All my JDM car are kept in km, as well as all Japanese sticker in windscreen.

But if people buy a JDM for daily use, I would understand why the conversion happen.

nsxer

Advanced Member
Just to clarify that 'Irish' cars in KM relate to cars bought/sold in/out of the Republic of Ireland and NOT Northern Ireland. The latter is in line with UK legislation in terms of MPH being the primary reading. However in addition to this NI cars in order to pass MOT rules within NI must display dual displays MPH/KPH so a bit more work to do on the instrument cluster if car is based in NI.

ROI is the same as the rest of the EU and Japan and use KPH

p1tse

Advanced Member
hamks18psi said:
Importer normally convert it for customers. If you don't want the conversion, just tell them.
I told Torque-GT I don't want any kph to mph and odometer conversion.

All my JDM car are kept in km, as well as all Japanese sticker in windscreen.

But if people buy a JDM for daily use, I would understand why the conversion happen.
Does that mean your speedo is in Km/h?
For a mot does it not require mph, assuming you're on main land England

P.s congrats on the car, hope you're happy with it after the long wait

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Does that mean your speedo is in Km/h?
For a mot does it not require mph, assuming you're on main land England

P.s congrats on the car, hope you're happy with it after the long wait
Yes, my speedo is still Km/h.
Yes, I am in England

Thanks! It has been 4+ month long, that I did not feel I was buying a car until I visited in a farm somewhere near Ashburton.

dave c

400hp K20
KM's are fine in the UK there is no legal requirement to change them over and its a nice original touch imo

p1tse

Advanced Member
dave c said:
KM's are fine in the UK there is no legal requirement to change them over and its a nice original touch imo
Ah right, I didn't know

I worked with an Irish chap who moved over here with his BMW and he went to the trouble getting clocks changed I remember which I thought was for mot purposes

dave c

400hp K20
Patch_teg said:
Ah right, I didn't know

I worked with an Irish chap who moved over here with his BMW and he went to the trouble getting clocks changed I remember which I thought was for mot purposes
Actually i'm not 100% on that one thinking about it as my cars always pass MOT so never really had the need to check.

mikeyw85

JDMFresh said:
All cars have to have speedo reading in Mph to pass IVA
When do IVA checks happen? On arrival into country? And is it something that must happen?

Edit: Just seen there's a few exemptions to IVA, one being "cars and minibuses with 8 passenger seats or less (not including the driver) over 10 years old"