Knocking and funny steering

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
So tonight on a little drive out some times I could hear a little knock. Didn't think owt of it..
After coming out of a corner the steering went real weird/wobbly.

Took a steady drive home.
Gave things a quick look over and came across this.

(Dam I can't get the video to load -.-)

But basically I can push the top of my wheel in and out by a good 5cm!

I'll be taking the wheel off and give it all a good check when I've got time. Luckily I don't need the car.

First thoughts are possibly wheel bearing or the camber bolt and normal bolt that hold the strut on have come looses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
wheel bearing is unlikely, problem with the strut/bolts is more likely

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I thought this as surely it would wobble side to side aswell ( which it doesn't)

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Or driveshaft nut, but not sure this would still move under compression. I know jacked up it will wobble everywhere

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I'm thinking camber bolt myself. Hopefully I will have time to take wheel off and have a look tonight.

It's not the drive shaft nut, I have no centre caps so can see it

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
It was the camber bolt! Both camber and normal bolts were less than finger tight , all sorted now!
Will check the other side at weekend

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Actually the same did happen to me thinking about it!
There are 2 torque settings in the service manual, confusingly and also quite dangerous.
I torqued mine to the lower setting a few years ago and had judder over 50mph. I then found a higher torque setting and has been fine since.

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
Weird ain't it!
Well I haven't got a service manual so, as there pretty big nuts and bolts... I did them pretty dam tight!

Had them on my ep3 for over a year with no issues. Did a few track sessions too. Hopefully they should be sound now

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I know that's the only thing :(.

Going to take it to my garage where they do four wheel laser alignment amd get them to make it the same camber setting as the other side