Knocking full lock

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
over the past couple of weeks when i seem to put the teg on full lock to the left there is a knocking when i start to straighten the wheels up?? only seems to be when i put on full lock to the left though, doesn;t make any noise when i turn right, seems to happen more at slower speeds when parking etc? any ideas? dad seems to think cv joint?!

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Just the problem I've got and also assumed to be a CV joint by my dad!

The only other thing I can think of is the spring not being seated in the damper cup properly, which is common if you have springs changed, but mine wasn't doing it until after the last trackday, so... :?

Hostile

Hi, If its like a clunk clunk clunk in timing with the rolling of the wheel, then its most likely to be the CV joint worn. It only happens on full lock as this is when the joint is at its most extreme point.
Its difficult to detect which side it may be coming from so may as well replace both sides.

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
yea that sounds like it!! its not a loud clunk just enough to hear. it will be going into honda to get sorted but any idea of how much it should be? just a rough guide will be good??

JT3173

Advanced Member
ashdelsol7 said:
yea that sounds like it!! its not a loud clunk just enough to hear. it will be going into honda to get sorted but any idea of how much it should be? just a rough guide will be good??
If it is a drive shaft and you take it to Honda they will totally shaft you with the price!! I know a complete drive shaft set, N/S, O/S and I think the little centre bit was just under a £1k I think from Dave Johnson, this was at a good price too I seem to remember when I called him some months ago.

Just get yourself some good used ones from a breakers and take your car to Unit 8, TDi North, anywhere, just not Honda as you also have labour on top to consider and they are not cheap!

I would never take my car to Honda again, had so much stuff damaged which I have had repaired at my own cost :evil:

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.............

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
my dad is good mates with the head mechanic in our local stealers, he took my car in today and honda spent about 2hours trying to find something wrong but to no avail?!?!!? They put the car up on the ramps and checked everything from the suspension to the cv joints to the steering box and they said the car is 100% mechanically sound. My dad took one of the mechanics in the car to see if he could make it do the noise but obviously the little teg thought it would be completely quiet today :roll: it only seems to do it on full lock to the left and other people have heard it before so its not me going loopy......so anyone any thoughts on this???? or should i just take mr.honda's word and ignore?!?!?!

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I think I've found mine - some oil got on an anti-roll bar bush, making it soft and now the bar moves as you approach full lock, making a clunking noise. Same is true over some bumps. So, a few quid for a pair of new bushes and some time/nice garage to fit them and I'll be able to confirm.

qamvti

Advanced Member
ashdelsol7 said:
my dad is good mates with the head mechanic in our local stealers, he took my car in today and honda spent about 2hours trying to find something wrong but to no avail?!?!!? They put the car up on the ramps and checked everything from the suspension to the cv joints to the steering box and they said the car is 100% mechanically sound. My dad took one of the mechanics in the car to see if he could make it do the noise but obviously the little teg thought it would be completely quiet today :roll: it only seems to do it on full lock to the left and other people have heard it before so its not me going loopy......so anyone any thoughts on this???? or should i just take mr.honda's word and ignore?!?!?!
Could be the top mounts on the front dampers, if it is just live with it.

Kammy