Knocking noise from front suspension

gaz3434

Advanced Member
Just had a set of Tein springs fitted to my DC5 and now when I turn the steering wheel to the left at low speeds, I can hear a knocking noise coming from the front left wheel area! :shock: It never did this on the standard suspension!

Does anyone know what this could be? Apparently the Tein springs lower the car by about 35mm, so do I need to get a camber kit fitted?

andyd

Advanced Member
Make sure the springs are seated properly.

It could be a a shock thats knocking.

Andy

iDrew

Advanced Member
I have this problem.

Steels diagnosed it as the suspension top-mount.

Part No. is 51925 S7A 024 - £34.78

DP.

Advanced Member
iDrew, was that with standard suspension? I get a knock sometimes too with std setup.

iDrew

Advanced Member
DP. said:
iDrew, was that with standard suspension? I get a knock sometimes too with std setup.
Standard struts, Tanabe springs.

I get a horrible clocking noise when turning slowly.

Dave @ Steels got me the new bit next day 8)
He also said, it seems to be quite a common complaint :!:

dan the man

Advanced Member
i have tanabes too and im sure i hear the odd knock...

think i should turn down the tunes and listen more...

dan :oops:

Splink

Advanced Member
I have had my teins on for about 18 months and I get the occasional knocking noise in the lower left part of the passenger footwell. Its everytime I put pressure on that side of the car going abotu 15-30 mph or when i hit a bump in the road.

Assuming I get this part from honda, how difficult is it to fit ?

gaz3434

Advanced Member
I'm going back to the place that fitted my Tein springs on Saturday morning to have this noise checked out. I'll get them to check that the springs are seated properly and that the top mounts are alright.

I'll let you all know of the outcome once I get this done.

redcap

Advanced Member
Took about a week for my Eibach's to settle on the CTR :wink: It should go away once it beds in.

gaz3434

Advanced Member
Well I had the springs checked at the garage that originally fitted them and they said it is nothing to worry about, it is just the spring slightly turning in the top mount. Apparently, Honda do not use bearings for their top mounts like other car manufacturers but use some sort of polyurethane bush to go between the springs and the top mounts :?

Anyway, they told me it's not doing the car any harm so I can live with a little bit of noise the odd time.

Splink

Advanced Member
cool.

Well mine is kinda quiet at the moment and I can live with the knocking noise when it is there. Kinda disappointed that there is not "fix" though. ahh well.

Mersey_typeR

Advanced Member
Splink said:
I have had my teins on for about 18 months and I get the occasional knocking noise in the lower left part of the passenger footwell. Its everytime I put pressure on that side of the car going abotu 15-30 mph or when i hit a bump in the road.

Assuming I get this part from honda, how difficult is it to fit ?
My CTR suffers from exactly the same thing. Had Tein springs on it for nearly a year now, it only started making a louder noise in the last few weeks.

TGMSport

Members
knocking with aftermarket springs

we have found certain progressive spring kits to make a knocking noise due to spring coils touching each other under compression, try jacking car up and check springs for contact with each other, normally paint will be worn through on contact

dan the man

Advanced Member
TGM....

glad u posted this as it crossed my mind, ive looked and the springs are very compressed when car not moving so never mind under load or on bumps, so them touching is easily possible and would create noise i think. like a clattering which also u can feel a bit also in some way so it would contribute to your senses of it..

dan

DC5Rus

When I bought a car I had a noise too when ride a little hole on road on slow speed. When I changed break pads the noise is disappear.

Sharpey

Advanced Member
I found the same thing as Tom, my Spoon's made a hell of a noise going from lock to lock, I cured it by putting the plastic sieving which was on the stock springs onto the Spoon tightly wound coils, noise disappeared :D .

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've had my car less than a week, and I have this problem too...

Spoon springs, knocking at low speeds when turning with more than half lock. More pronounced with more people in the car.

Quite eager to get it sorted, so figured I'd do it properly. I am quite tempted to fit some uprated top mounts (like Cusco). Do you guys think that this will sort this, or would it be a waste of money and new OEM ones would do the trick?

Also, the PAS tends to whine when on full lock. Is this normal? Not an issue, as the times the car is actually turned that tightly are few and far between. Just wondered if there is something that needs investigating...

gaz3434

Advanced Member
It's probably nothing to worry about, Sumi. The noise that was coming from the top of my springs disappeared within a few weeks of them being put in; I don't think there's any need to go buying new top mounts (unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket! :wink: :D )

As for the noise from the PAS, that's normal once you reach full lock - it's just the motor going into overdrive once the steering has gone as far as it can.

So there you go; nothing to worry about! xthumbsup