Knocking noise when putting foot down hard

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
Hi,i have a problem with my teg(well i think i do)when i put my foot down hard say in first and second and the car goes to spin i have a very very hard knocking sound comeing through the floor.well i say knocking sound its more like banging.sounds like the bloody driveshaft is comeing through the floor to be honest :shock:
This happens on both sides,wouldnt say both the same time but say under the throttle pedal on the driver side and under the outer side of the passenger footwell!
I have been under the car and all the bushes etc seem intact and in good condition.I am running standard suspension with tanabe springs.
I am new to dc5's,is this a standard thing(doubt it),has anybody else had this problem,any info would be fantastic.Many thanks in advance :)

gixer750

Advanced Member
i am reliably told by DC5TU it is the front engine mount worn, mine is identical.
sounds like the suspension strut is about to pop thru the bonnet!
i am also told that TGM are changing them regularly and there is an insert available to firm up the bush.
this is top of my shopping list right now, post up if you find a cracking deal :wink:

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
thanks for the info guys,how do i go about checking the engine mounts???which one is the front engine mount??and how does this cause this large banging through the floor???left and right??thanks again :)

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
Yes the wheels are spinning,differing on left to right depending on road surface i quess :?
,would this cause this banging through the floor though :? ,never owned a car before that does this,when the wheels spin they spin,not spin and cause this knocking noise.do all teg's do this :?: :? :?:

Gunn79

Advanced Member
My old EP3 CTR did it, its like a 'duh, duh, duh' as the wheels spin up, comes right into the cabin, feel it on the steering wheel.

If it is wheel hop, you can reduce it by fitting an engine torque damper / engine mount inserts etc...

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
that sounds very similar,when i give it moderate acceleration it does the duh duh sound you described,but when i give it quite large 1st gear it seriously bangs through the floor,the reason im posting this now is that it happened so bad tonight pulling out of a frosty junction up hill i thought something had broken and pulled in to check,was like a little person was swinging a sledge hammer full tilt under the floor where my throttle pedal sits. :?

Gunn79

Advanced Member
From the scenario you describe, to me that sounds like wheel hop. My old Civic was particularly prone to it on a roundabout local to me, turning off an exit onto a hill in the wet, nailing 2nd gear and duh, duh, duh!

If it is wheel hop, and it bothers you, the good news is you can reduce it :)

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Sounds VERY much like your front mount has gone
wheel hop is made worse by this too

about £80-100 for the mount + fitting
fit ESMMs while your at it

Biddy

Advanced Member
How do you reduce it? with the new mounts? where can you get them from? are they expensive?

dotty

Advanced Member
Biddy said:
How do you reduce it? with the new mounts? where can you get them from? are they expensive?
TGM and no they are not expensive. :eek:

DC5TU

Advanced Member
first get theubared mount replaced
tehn fit ESMMs (while the front one is being changed) anout £25 i think

then if you want to, fit an ETD

ally_mac

Advanced Member
Yeah it sounds like good old wheel hop you have there. I would just put the Energy Motor Mounts in, cost about £25 + labour, I wouldnt even bother changing the front mount just yet as these may fix the problem. The DC5 mounts are quiet soft to start with so under heavy acceration, the car is known to wheel hop. This will reduce most of the hop but if you want to reduce it more you will need a ETD (Engine Torque Damper), something like Js Racing or Spoon. Cost around £120+ (from memory) and will help even more.

The only down side is that as these make the engine a lot more stiffer, it will cause the vibrations from the engine to travel through the chassis, so on idle you feel the vibrations but you get used to it after a while

DC5TU

Advanced Member
ally - it sounds as if the mount has gone the way hes describing it

dont just fit ESMMs, replace the mount too

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
Many many thanks for the info so far guys,which one is the front mount,the one from timeing chain side to chassis??gearbox to side chassis mount or the one at the front of crossmember to gearbox??or is there another that i havent seen???

And i know that this sounds stupid but what are ESMM's???are you talking about the inserts??

Were is the best place to get these from??honda???
And can they be fitted by a relative novice on the floor???

Many thanks again :)

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Energy Suspension Motor Mounts

£25 from tom @TGM

bout half hour to fit, if you know what your doing

they are poly inserts for the OEM mounts

ideally youd wanna do em on a ramp

and itll be the font crossmember to block mount snapped

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
Great tHanks for that mate,will get in touch with tom and get them ordered.How do they fit???do you take the mount off compleate and insert inside?????any info on that would be great.

You mention crossmember to block mount snapped,can this be seen from the underside or top???as i noticed the gearbox to crossmember just by the bottom of the rad,is it next to that???.

Many thanks in advance :)

DC5TU

Advanced Member
its the one between the engine and rad, at the front

mounts come off, inserts go in, mounts back in

you need to look underneath to check front mount but its not so easy to spot