Knocking! Possible causes?? Please!

Alex.J

Advanced Member
oo i know it is a thrust bearing, but its not the usual term i hear being used relating to clutches..

Still no idea, its not suspension arms, top mounts, engine mounts or arb..

checked the shocks for play and leaks and re-seated the springs and checked for movement and nothing..

I guess its not track rod/steering rack issues as it doesnt affect driving feel nor does it give feedback through the steering wheel..

My last thoughts are driveshafts, wheel bearings or lower ball joints..

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Wheel bearings in my experience have never nocked when they have had play... just made a "weeerry" noise at certain speeds.

redcap

Advanced Member
Mine has developed a similar noise in the past couple of days. Did you find out what it was?

The noise I'm getting sounds like something is knocking against something rotating. It sounds worse at slower speeds. I get some louder clunking noises while turning at slow speed.

I have looked around the car and can't see any signs of the problem. Am I likely to cause a bigger problem or do any damage by driving it for the next few days till my service?

I can't feel any obvious mechanical signs of a problem. I think it might be gear box related although I'm not 100% sure why.