Knocking springs

armjoker

Advanced Member
I had installed new springs before 2 weeks, and I noticed that every time I turn the steering wheel til the end I hear some knocking sound. 2 Days ago when its rained here the thing got worse, every time i turn I get knocking and screaming sound from front. I checked the spring is turning with coils when I turn the wheel. As I understand this is the problem. I hear the sound of the spring touching the top mount while turning.

Any Idea how to fix this? going to mechanic tomorrow, if he reinstall the do I have to do wheel alignment again?

Any info would be appreciated! :xcheers:

dotty

Advanced Member
What springs are they? Do they have the rubber sleaves over the top of them?

sinbad

Advanced Member
Sounds like the spring has not been installed correctly and its not sitting in the perch and/or top mount as it should. Also check the bolts on the strut.

armjoker

Advanced Member
Thx for help guys :xcheers:

Ill see what is the problem tomorrow morning when i take it to mechanic.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is that the updated spring is relatively short compared to Oem, when you are driving and go over a pothole ( or anything that extends the suspension ,) the spring extends and due to Its length doesn't need as much force to allow it to move in it's seat . When driving afterwards the spring can become noisy as it tries tofind it's correct position, often this will reduce with use but can be annoying,

Even jacking the car up can cause it to move

It's common with the dc5 and if you try the search you will find many posts about it.

armjoker

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
The problem is that the updated spring is relatively short compared to Oem, when you are driving and go over a pothole ( or anything that extends the suspension ,) the spring extends and due to Its length doesn't need as much force to allow it to move in it's seat . When driving afterwards the spring can become noisy as it tries tofind it's correct position, often this will reduce with use but can be annoying,

Even jacking the car up can cause it to move

It's common with the dc5 and if you try the search you will find many posts about it.
Yes but this springs are not new, Almost 3 years they are used with same set of coils. I just swap them with my stock ones.

Is there any way to to something to reduce the knocking or I have to deal with it? :xhelp:

armjoker

Advanced Member
Well guys the mechanic told me that i need some rubber "pipes" to put on the springs. Any idea where I can get them?

David

The One

armjoker said:
Well guys the mechanic told me that i need some rubber "pipes" to put on the springs. Any idea where I can get them?

David

Durex :xlol: \:D/ =D>

Gpack

Hi

Perhaps if you reset the spring in the correct position i.e end faces of the coils are sat against the cups top and bottom, you could then tie wrap the spring on the lowest coil to the lower cup.
This should cure any movement/rotation when the damper moves as you drive as C&S evo7 pointed out.

If your not keen on this idea then take a look at this post :

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26008&p=225202&hilit=knocking+springs#p225202

:xcheers: