Knocking/Ticking from drivers side front

TheH

This has being driving me mental,Ok so to describe the "tick" noise it is only a single tick when accelerating and when i lift off it ticks again,and it does feel like there is play whilst driving beacuse of the car jumping or kangarooing easily,so i jacked it up had a look and the boot is fine no wear or leaks or any play by hand so i put it gear and let the wheel spin and there looks to be play in the drive,so whilst it was jacked up i accelerated and stoped again and again but no tick noise,so this only happens when there is load on joint and shaft,so is it a carrier bearing or do need a new CV or drive shaft? Help much appreciated guys

TheH

Dan34 said:
Ticking usually indicates a knackered CV joint.
Yeah true but it only ticks once under acceleration until i lift off then ticks once under decelleration,doesnt tick when turnin like your usual knackered CV,wierd

wj51fut

Advanced Member
It's knackered in the forward and back motion. Not side to side in which it would slide. Best way to check is to jack the car up and spin the front wheel or hold the wheel like a steering wheel (10-2) and move it from side to side and spin a quarter turn both ways. If you feel play in it my guess would be the drive shaft.

Adam

TheH

No play there all solid,no wear either,i doubt its the drop links i would say it more from the cv or the drive shaft

Kempyd12

Just a thought but turn your air con and listen to the click and see if it sounds the same my air con pully clicks all the time it has a clutch on it and I think the bearings have gone worth a try it had me boggled for weeks

wocka

Advanced Member
bringing up old thread!!

I have exactly this problem but from front left, clicking/ticking when I accelerate/decelerate or changing gear. its getting worse I think, my first thought was ball joints/rca's but I have buddyclub ones and there only year and half old and theres no play from them that I can feel/see, drop links were all new a few months ago, oh and ive got buddyclub coilovers if that helps.

I never thought that it could be driveshaft, I hope not

Dan34

Advanced Member
I have the same noise and have had for ages, I can't figure out what it is. Its annoying the hell out of me!

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
I have the same noise and have had for ages, I can't figure out what it is. Its annoying the hell out of me!
I have this too

I think its down to my cracked heat shield manifold. But I can easily be wrong.

TheH

I still havnt figured out whats wrong,i checked the carrier bearing and theres very slight play in it and to me it looks like its slightly weeping,it only happens in forward or rearward motion coming off on throttle ect

wocka

Advanced Member
Surely one of us can sort this out!

Are all of us using standard mounts? I may try and get a video of the noise with the go pro to see if its the same noise we all have

TheH

I have an ETD and its still the same now as it was without it,i have energy engine mount inserts too so the engine is pretty solid,a video would be a great idea

wocka

Advanced Member
Heres my video, u can here the clicking but the wind blocks alot out :( it does it every gear change and pulling off

http://youtu.be/4uuE4w7ITYs

wocka

Advanced Member
I also have engine mount inserts, and buddyclub rca's so think im going to rule those out for now