knocking with coilover

hon88

Im not sure where excatly the noise is coming from, it either the enigine or suspension or ???

I set off driving normal and change to 2nd gear and i hear a knocking noise somerwhere in the front and same to 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th gear.

another way i tested the knocking noise is when im driving along about 30mph in 4th gear about 3000rpm, then i dip my clutch in and back out whilst free roilling i can hear the knocking, it like a blunt knocking sound.

sorry but another way i tested it was when im driving whilst free rolling and then i put my foot down hard instantly, i can hear the knocking once again, it seem to be getting worse and worse.
I have to go down a cobble road everyday and there is a different type of knocking like metal on metal.

any idea anyone?? i just had my front lower engine mount replace as it was split and still not cured the problem.

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
Does it happen when the car is not moving through the gears?
Try low speed turns, locking the wheel, see if theres a clicking noise..
Tighten up the bolts on the top mounts of the suspension..

alucardo

Advanced Member
Jack up the car and check for play in the wheel as that can cause a knocking noise ...

Also check your rear engine mount aswell.

Are any of your dampners leaking? How low is the car?

hon88

Dc5Dub07 said:
Does it happen when the car is not moving through the gears?
Try low speed turns, locking the wheel, see if theres a clicking noise..
Tighten up the bolts on the top mounts of the suspension..
top mount is tighten up, but it does make some knocking noise on full lock on steering.

hon88

alucardo said:
Jack up the car and check for play in the wheel as that can cause a knocking noise ...

Also check your rear engine mount aswell.

Are any of your dampners leaking? How low is the car?
not sure how low as its on coilover, it sit just above the arches. no signs of leaked on the dampeners.

stevo2603

Try checking your drop links on the ARB and make sure that they're tight as they can cause a knocking noise if not tight enough. Also check your track rod ends, as there could some play in them.