Kpro Datalogging Speedo

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Was doing some datalogging earlier, just wondering if anyone knows how accurate the speedo is on the kpro or if it takes the reading from the car speedo?

Tia

Will

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Kpro takes it's reading from the same speed sensor that your speedo uses.
Just remember that the speed sensor actually measures in KPH, and has a convertor in between the sensor and ECU/speedo to display MPH. So the speed displayed in KPH on Kmanager is actually MPH!! :idea:

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Thanks Andy,

Though I've set speed to mph and it seems to be reading mph fine.

fonz600

Advanced Member
It depends on where your speedo convertor is as well. Kpro never logged accurately on speed or gear on mine and think it was to do with where the speedo convertor was.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
As Fonz600 says, it does depend where your Speed convertor is. Mine is in the engine bay right at the speed sensor, so all of my speed readings are converted.

If your speed convertor is installed in the same place as mine, then your ECU will not be able to determine what gear it is in. You need to put in a different final drive ratio in your calibration to compensate, because the ECU is not able to equate the speed it is reading to the gear it should be in. The new final drive ratio should be 4.764/5*8 = 7.622 :idea: Tried and tested, and means that the Gear Compensation tables are actually worthwhile. 8)

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Hmmm ok Mine must be a different converter as it shows the correct gears, and speed seems quite accurate. Though I'll take the speed figures with a pinch of as they are the same as the speedo.

jostrom

Advanced Member
The ECU datalogs VSS signal. You can choose to display either mph or km/h from kmanager software.

jostrom

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
Mine reads too slow and wrong gear, as above something to do with the speed converter.
Isn't the speed converter after the ECU? Or where exactly is it?

jostrom

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
jostrom said:
milano_chris said:
Mine reads too slow and wrong gear, as above something to do with the speed converter.
Isn't the speed converter after the ECU? Or where exactly is it?
It's mounted on the gearbox iirc, so before?
Ok, so it is before the ECU. That explains. Excuse my ignorance with speed converters (as I've never needed/had one), but are they mechanical or electrical in DC5? So you have the original km/h gauge clusters, but just feed in a slower mph signal?

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
They are electrical, same as the DC2. :idea:

Once you figure out whats going on, it makes sense with the gear ratio changes on the KPro calibration.

jostrom

Advanced Member
If they're electrical why don't you guys put them after the ECU? The ECU does not process the VSS-signal so putting the converter between the ECU and the gauge cluster would sound way better than before the ECU... Or is it known that it doesn't work that way?

LeeH

Advanced Member
jostrom said:
If they're electrical why don't you guys put them after the ECU? The ECU does not process the VSS-signal so putting the converter between the ECU and the gauge cluster would sound way better than before the ECU... Or is it known that it doesn't work that way?
I always wondered that. I thought the mechanical ones would be obviously pre ecu and electronic post ecu......

Lee :?

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Before the ECU is the preferred option.
Plus it means that the speed limiter of 180KPH effectively becomes 180MPH thus derestricting the car the easy way!! Hence my earlier question.