kpro-ed, turning at very slow speed makes rpm drop to 500??

tokgeen

Hi all,

i'd appreciate if any of you can tell me why. A bit of background about my "breathing" mods... (2002 itr): gruppe m intake, toda header, rm01a cat back exhuast... i have gotten it kpro-ed a while ago... it works great EXCEPT at very slow speed / even when the car is not moving, if i turn my steering wheel in either direction, the rpm of the engine drops to 500rpm before and then it comes back up to normal... when it hits 500rpm, the whole car vibrates as if its gonna go off...

hence i brought it to the krpo dealer to look into it, they dont know why. they set the idling rpm higher, but of course thats no use because its not the idling rpm thats wrong, somehow the rpm is sensitive to my steering movement at very very slow or no speed at all (examples of incidence like this are when u park a car, in a traffic jam and u need to change lanes etc...). In fact, i have experienced the car going off a few times during some slow sharp turns (e.g. u-turning)

thanks in advance for your thoughts guys!!

Evs

Advanced Member
Sounds like the PAS pump loading the engine and causing the revs to drop. The pump will be working harder at low/no speed.

Has this just started to happen? It might actually be a problem with the pump rather than the ECU.

macer

Advanced Member
Set the "Idle Valve Duty Cycle Adustment" up higher.
Its Under "Parameters" "Idle". It should do the Job.

timp

Advanced Member
actually i think that mind takes a little bit of a dip, not as much as you are experiencing though

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
macer said:
Set the "Idle Valve Duty Cycle Adustment" up higher.
Its Under "Parameters" "Idle". It should do the Job.
As macer says. But you might want to get the KPro tuner to do it.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
As Evs said, PAS System might have a leak, or have air the system or a blockage in the pipes making the Pump work harder

Does it get worse with the AC on, heaters full whack, windscreen wipers on???

tokgeen

thanks a lot for the fast feedback guys. i will try both ways which you guys suggested.

Evs, how do I check if its the PAS pump is at fault though? I can ask the tuner to set a higher idling rpm as suggested...

many thanks again!

macer

Advanced Member
tokgeen said:
thanks a lot for the fast feedback guys. i will try both ways which you guys suggested.

Evs, how do I check if its the PAS pump is at fault though? I can ask the tuner to set a higher idling rpm as suggested...

many thanks again!
Its not a higher idling rpm, the tuner should know that, make sure he does not charge you its a 2 second job.

Evs

Advanced Member
I'd follow up the other suggestion first - sounds like these guys have experienced the same problem and that has sorted it.

I was just suggesting alternative ideas to what the problem might be, rather than just assuming it was the ECU. I suppose you'd have to take the belt off, bleed the PAS system and check the pump bearings for smooth running. If the PAS works OK then I wouldn't mess about with it unless the KPro fix doesn't work. Sorry for causing concern :oops:

tokgeen

ok evs, i will try setting it higher first. may i ask around how high you guys set it? or are you gonna tell me, "every car is different" hehe... just for reference, i think it would help to see what you guys are at...

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I had the same when i changed to the large capacity pump resevoir, topped the level up and it was ok, it was well down tho not 1/4 inch, just was causing more load.

tokgeen

Hi C&S Evo7, thanks for your comments. Sorry Im a bit of an ignorant person here... what you mean you top up the pump resorvoir? What exactly did you do? Top up with what?

Thanks...

timp

Advanced Member
the power steering has a fluid reservoir its right next to the pump at the front to the right of the engine as you look at it, get yourself some good power steering fluid and top it up to the marking on the plastic

macer

Advanced Member
Evs said:
I'd follow up the other suggestion first - sounds like these guys have experienced the same problem and that has sorted it.
Yea its quite a common issue with the K-Pro. Every case of this I have come across it has been the K-Pro, hope its the same issue here cos the other will cost.

tokgeen

thanks for all your feedbacks earlier, i have brought it to the kpro tuner today, and here are results and what i've realised...:

(note that i dont have such problems before tuning)

Problem: 1) (with the air-con ON and without turning steering) when car is idle, its fine, its sitting at whatever the kpro tuner has set the idling rpm at, rite now its at 950. Now, say I step on the throttle so that rpm hits about 2000rpm, i lift off my feet so that the rpm drops, it will drop to about 500 before it goes back up to 950... This is very annoying especially during traffic jams. Because when it hits 500, the car vibrates (as if its gonna go off, but it doesnt, it does maybe one out of 40 times... i.e. every once in a while). Right now, w/ idling speed set at 950, the part where some of you have adviced me to tune higher, the bar that sits below the idling speed setting (whatever idle cycle speed etc...), its tending towards the right side, still a gap from the highest point but my tuner treated me like a maniac, just tell me he wouldnt tune that higher... he claims its high enough already.
2) as mentioned before, when i turn the steering, the rpm drops too... setting the idling speed higher to 950rpm isnt helping...

Now, with the air-con OFF, things improve. But problem 1 still happen every now and then, but much rarer... and the steering problem does not happen...

What do you guys think?

Is it because i havent cleaned my gruppe m intake? how often do you guys clean it (sorry, i know this is out of topic), but i think I have gone over 25k km without cleaning, i need to clean it right away.

Thanks again for your input. The last thing i want is to regret over krpo and not getting the mugen ecu... :(

tokgeen

ive been thinking how I could test if its the mapping thats causing the problem... i have a friend that drives a dc5 too... can i switch his stock ecu over to run it on mine? is that do-able? i mean if i dont have these problems anymore after i do that, then it must be the new mapping...?

macer

Advanced Member
Could you send me a copy of your K-Pro map?? if you dont have it ask the tuner to Email you a copy. Dont upload a copy from your ECU.

tokgeen

apparently the Kpro tuner is not willing to send out the mapping to me, claiming that they dont send mappings out. Im giving them crap, so now they say they will talk to hondata... :(