kpro or no go?

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
i have a kpro that I have not fitted yet.

If i sell it will i regret it?

if i keep it, will i need to get an RBC to see any decent results?

at the moment I have an exhaust and an AEM V2. To get the kpro mapped will cost 400euro.

sell it...or keep?

DC-5 Mad

That sounds abit excessive it should only take about an hour on the dyno with your mods by someone that knows what there doing so shouldn't cost that much.
It's definately worth doing mate if you already have it. There's a big difference in how the car can perform.

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
from what I can gather...the charge to map it is around the 400euro mark.

it is very excessive.

I'll have to research the mapping costs first, as Dave Kil is looking to buy and I might be looking to sell depending on mapping costs.

Is it pointless having a kpro without an RBC?

DC-5 Mad

No i wouldn't say it was pointless at all you will still see a difference that you will be happy with and further down the line if you want to get an RBC you can. I think it depends if you want the money for the Kpro to do something else but you will probably see roughly 15-20bhp increase, vtec is positioned earlier in the range and pulls alot smoother plus mpg is better also. I have the same basic mods as you and i am totally happy with it.

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
DC-5 Mad said:
I think it depends if you want the money for the Kpro to do something else....
i have already spent over 1500e on the car. i got the dc5 instead of an evo7 due to reliability concerns. if i sell the kpro, the proceeds will be going into my wedding fund!!

Kinli

Advanced Member
Doesn't anyone here map their cars on the streets? the DC5 has a wideband lamdba (unlike the EP3), so fuel-mapping is extremely easy. You can also make a composite VTC map yourself. Ignition is the only tricky one and if you want that tuned exactly right then it requires a dyno. You can tune ignition relying on the knock sensor etc. but a dyno would be the easiest and most precise tool for ignition.

So you can do alot yourself, and tuning the ignition on a dyno won't require many runs..

As for the original question, at least ditch the aem v2 for a cai or something similar (=useful) then get the krpo done. It will work just fine without rbc and the mid range will see nice gains as the vtec get lowered and smoothed out. all in all, a much more drivable car than stock.

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
Kinli said:
the DC5 has a wideband lamdba (unlike the EP3), so fuel-mapping is extremely easy. You can also make a composite VTC map yourself. Ignition is the only tricky one and if you want that tuned exactly right then it requires a dyno. You can tune ignition relying on the knock sensor etc. but a dyno would be the easiest and most precise tool for ignition.

So you can do alot yourself, and tuning the ignition on a dyno won't require many runs..

As for the original question, at least ditch the aem v2 for a cai or something similar (=useful) then get the krpo done. It will work just fine without rbc and the mid range will see nice gains as the vtec get lowered and smoothed out. all in all, a much more drivable car than stock.
Hi, with all due respect - I'm not going to play around with the kpro myself as I have absolutely no experience with this ecu, or with any other ecu for that matter. I am by no means a mechanic and/or a computer buff.

Alot of what I highlighted above means nothing to me. I'm not even going to pretend I know what you are talking about.

In relation to the AEM V2 - I asked before what CAI meant. I think I might have been told 'Cold Air Induction' - or maybe this is what I assumed it meant. Either way - when you say to ditch it - please recommend what it should be replaced with...and dont mention a gruppeM please.

macer

Advanced Member
I would look at a Manifold before the RBC but would definitely recommend getting both before having it mapped. I hear Martin in Westward is doing the K-Pro now I would give him a call, IMO the best and most honest tuner in the Country.

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
i'm looking to get four quotes for mapping the kpro. three are dyno runs and one is a road map.

Trackday performance - dyno - €450
Westward Engineering - dyno - €TBA
Couture Auto - dyno - €350
Vtec6000 - roadmap - €180-€200

macer

Advanced Member
I posted this on DTDIRL also

If I was going to spend that kind of money for a map with those few mods I would insist on some of type of evidence it‘s a new map done from starch for “your” car. It would be very easy just to use an existing map & spend half hour to an hour fine tuning it to suit your car and then taking €400 odd Euro from ya thank you very much.

The first idiot that mapped my car did just that. He was so stupid that he left in the notes of details about the car the map was for previously.

I have a few maps you can have that might suit your car. They are 95Ron maps, they will still need some tuning for your car. Maybe talk to Vtec6000 he will probably fine tune it for far less than 400 odd.

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
mossyhennebry said:
decided to keep the kpro.
Good move,I'm loving mine. 8)

The increased tourqe,speed and fuelling (MPG). Is well worth the money I have spent. :green:

p1tse

Advanced Member
out of interest anyone gone for kpro on a standard or near standard car?