Kpro query (flat spot)

Mark_teg

Staff member
A few months ago my Kpro ECU decided to fry itself. Dont ask how as I really dont know..
So I had it repaired and re-uploaded my map, happy days!

Except with this ECU, I seem to have a few flat spots through the revs. It wasn't there before.

It's during part throttle and between 1.5 - 3k RPM.

I know somebody is going to say the map needs a tweek, but I thought the ECU only read from the map for full throttle (closed/open loop??), though my understanding of this is not great!

My next option is maybe try one of the Hondata generic maps to try, see if it's still there. Or maybe a datalog, but not sure I can make it actually happen. Perseverance I suppose, hope I get lucky..

Any ideas or anybody experienced something similar? A bit of a random and vague query I know and isn't major, but can be annoying when it does happen, normally when pulling off at a roundabout :xaiweb4:

hondazzz

Advanced Member
not expert..and not actually have the answer..BUT... if you just reloaded the map and you had and not other changes,you wont need any tweeks...
2nd ... since you just installed the ecu it stills need to work out a bit with the fuel trim... what i mean is maybe there are some points that the fueling needs adjust and it will be slowly done by the fuel trim of the ecu that will add/substruct fuel...
3rd... any chance you used different version of k-manager for uploading than the one used to be tuned?or if you have downloaded the map from the ECU might as the program sais ."might be corrupted" ...

well i just repeat that not an expert but thats what i can say from my little knowledge about tuning and k-pro.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Firstly, yup totally agree.
2nd. Good point, however the new ECU has been in a couple of months now.
3rd. Same Kmanager used. I had a copy of my map from the tuner on the day. I didn't download from the ECU, just updated drivers (IIRC) then uploaded the map.

Thanks for the reply, any other suggestions?

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
I am quite new to this Kpro too, but as far as i know a well mapped car shouldn't have any flat spot through out the Rev Range maybe you should record some data and have a read on the air fuel ratio if it needs adjusting. I just finished tweaking a few parameters on K-manager (latest version 3.1.2) this morning and switched the car to Open loop to get rid of the annoying engine management lights and so far it ran without problems

btw What Mods have you done to your car?

Mark_teg

Staff member
The map is only for WOT though, hence why I'm confused.

Engine mods are just the usual breathing. GM, RBC, race header/de-cat, exhaust system and Kpro

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Might be a coincidence mate, I'd start looking else where.. Try checking the spark plugs, specially for any brown residue around the ceramic where it meets the base of the plugs.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Cheers Lee, I'll have a look. Though my gut feeling says it's not plugs (would get more of a missfire??). But it's worth it as it takes 2 mins..

They were changed 17k ago by myself btw.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Cheers Lee, I'll have a look. Though my gut feeling says it's not plugs (would get more of a missfire??). But it's worth it as it takes 2 mins..

They were changed 17k ago by myself btw.
You would tend to get a misfire more if the ceramic was cracked, my mate Phil (itwasntme) on here had the very same fault you are complaining about and the the plugs had a reasonable amount of blowby on them, after replacing them his flat spot went away & his plugs wernt very old either.

It's worth a check, as you say it won't take long to whip them out.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Well Lee, I owe you one mate :xnworthy:

I took them out, they look fine. So I just cleaned the threads and put them back in, put WD40 down the coil packs before putting them on the plugs..

It's been a few days now and there's no hesitation what so ever :xgrin: If it starts playing up again I'll replace them...
So you were right, the ECU situation was just a coincidence after all!

Thanks again.