KPro questions/help required please

Chief

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
I've just had a quote of £500 + VAT from Abbey for a complete map. I'm considering it now :roll: :oops: :lol:
£500 + VAT isn't too bad if you consider the results Abbey seem to be able to achieve. Might be the way to go once I get myself K-Pro on the DC5. 8)

Wootty

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
Wootty said:
milano_chris said:
Just to let you know, Abbey do not do tweaks, they only map from scratch.
Surely in reality everyone tweeks, as you have to have a base curve close to the configuration your running otherwise the thing wont run on the dyno in the first place or worse damage the engine untill you get it close. It would be murder if they started with a stock base map and you'd just had JRSC, header, Induction kit and cat back put on, the maps must be miles apart :?:

The only difference with Abbey might be that they follow every cam angle and timing curve through all the points, whereas some might just apply a shift to a whole curve.
This is an e-mail that Mark from Abbey sent me yesterday:

Christopher,

From our time mapping the Hondata system , we will only remap from Scratch it is a lot easier in our opinion than tweaking your original map. We also feel every car is different so you cant just swap maps, we can provide dyno sheets to prove this if need.

If you tweak the fuel map the ignition map will need adjusting.
Of course for more radical mods like FI I would assume they would take one of the basic Hondata maps for boosted applications (if they exist?) or have one of their own that they start from.
There you go then - they tweak - but from a base map rather than your current map. You can get maps from Hondata with FI as a base to start from.

I'm surprised you got a reponse from Abbey at all. When I was looking at tuning mine they did not even bother to reply to my emails - they only seemed to be bothered in Scoobies and Skylines.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Hmm, I was surprised too. Only took a day for the reply and all, maybe they've not got much work on.

jonster

Advanced Member
CPL (Guy) has done some great mapping for me in the past. He's a bit closer than System-R (Paul). They are both really good and similarly priced I believe.

I wouldn't bother re-mapping now if you've got other mods planned. I've wasted money doing this.

Most tuners work with a base map and get the A/F ration right for each cam angle on the low and high cam and then combine which makes the most power in to one composite. Then they tweak the ingnition. That's what I've observed when mine was done each time anyway.

I definately would not use an unmapped ECU on the track.

Have you thought about TGM (Tom) loaning you a stock ECU for your track day?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Hi Jonster

The only planned mod is to change my induction to a Injen CAI and I plan to get this before travelling up to System-R for a mapping.

I've just changed back to a stock airbox with Spoon drop-in which should put my car closer to the current car its mapped for. I'll do some datalogging over the weekend and see if I need to rush to System-R next weekend.

If I find a cheap Injen pretty soon, I will get it mapped next week.

I could ask Tom, I never thought of that.

jonster

Advanced Member
A stock ECU for the mean time would have been less hassle. Good luck with the re-map and trackday anyway. Looking at you signature mod list, you would do well to get some lighter rims. The stock ones are soooooo heavy.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
jonster said:
A stock ECU for the mean time would have been less hassle. Good luck with the re-map and trackday anyway. Looking at you signature mod list, you would do well to get some lighter rims. The stock ones are soooooo heavy.
Cheers mate!

Lighter rims? I've have quite a long wish list of track orientated mods so I'll add that :wink: :D

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
Nick, ditto what has been said above but deffo not worth using a non mapped ECU unless the map is really tame.

Have sent you a PM re boarding I just saw above! need some advice but won't clog this thread...

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
ejwillistyles said:
Nick, ditto what has been said above but deffo not worth using a non mapped ECU unless the map is really tame.

Have sent you a PM re boarding I just saw above! need some advice but won't clog this thread...
Hey mate. I pick up the KPro tomorrow and I'll see how things go. I might be up at System-R next Sat.

I haven't received any PM yet?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Met up with SCOTTIECTR today and we did the exchange :D
Nice to meet you mate xthumbup

So far I am very impressed with the KPro :D
Mid range has been transformed completely and the car pulls so much better throughout the rev range 8)

A very happy DC5 owner at the moment :D

SCOTTIECTR

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
Met up with SCOTTIECTR today and we did the exchange :D
Nice to meet you mate xthumbup

So far I am very impressed with the KPro :D
Mid range has been transformed completely and the car pulls so much better throughout the rev range 8)

A very happy DC5 owner at the moment :D
nice to meet you too :D Thanks for doing the changeover and for buying.
I am now an unhappy DC5 owner, I've never had a standard one before as I had the reflash, I can definitely tell the difference :cry:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
SCOTTIECTR said:
nice to meet you too :D Thanks for doing the changeover and for buying.
I am now an unhappy DC5 owner, I've never had a standard one before as I had the reflash, I can definitely tell the difference :cry:
Sorry to hear that mate.

I'm really enjoying the extra midrange torque and I'm still getting over 300+ from the tank :D