Kpro questions

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Say i was to buy a KPro that has been mapped for a Gruppe M, Manifold and cat back for example, would it be ok to use it on mine with just a spoon drop in,airbox mod, Js Big bore TB and Apexi hayabusa cat back???

Its only gonna be for a short period of time til i get a Gruppe M of my own and a manifold too, then have the map tweaked.

If i drive conservatively and out of VTEC, is it gonna be much of a problem???

With the cat still being in place, is it gonna run like a bitch??

tron2k3

Advanced Member
I'd always advise to have the car tuned specifically to your car, even if you had exactly the same mods as the previous car the map will still be different.

When I got mine I only fitted it when it was being tuned wasn't worth the risk tbh.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
stu, you'd be better off uploading a std ish map from the library available in the kpro software, the manifold will have made the most difference.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Will i need to find out what version of kmanager was used to do this??

Will it run ok on a stdish map??

Wyhere do i get these maps?

Stevieg

Advanced Member
Yeah I spoke to TDi regarding this the other day and they said do NOT drive the car with another mapped ECU as you run the risk of detonation. They did mention about uploading a standardish map though but said you should only really do this for a very short time.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
So where do i get standard maps from if the kpro i buy doesnt come with software??

Ezza

Advanced Member
I have had my KPRO since March but all its been doin is sittin in my bedroom awaiting for it to be mapped on Monday 8)

Jayk

Advanced Member
it would probs run rich, but it will run without damaging your car, but fit it then drive it for a part tune mate.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Jayk said:
it would probs run rich, but it will run without damaging your car, but fit it then drive it for a part tune mate.
What do you mean drive it for a part tune?? Datalog and tweak the map myself??

Jayk

Advanced Member
nahnah just nip it to someone who maps kpro and they can book you in the rollers and adjust parameters to suit your car or download a map of a car with your mods.

or you could do it yourself :wink:

DC5TU

Advanced Member
How hard is it to tweak the map??

Im gonna be fitting a gruppe ma nd a header anyway, should i leave it as is and drive lightly til then then have it tweaked?

Jayk

Advanced Member
even if you drive it hard, you will be ok, just leave it. ive never mapped kpro before so dont really know mate.

Stevieg

Advanced Member
I wouldnt drive it without mapping it first - though I guess it depends if you want to take the gamble with your cars health. All the tuners ive spoke to said dont do it.....

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Im gonna do some datalogging anyway, check the AF ratio and adjust it to suit, and also do the knock detection and adjust that to suit too.

Then once the GM and header are on, ill datalog again, tweak them to suit then have it properly mapped for best results!

Ive been doing alot of research into it on hondatas website and clubrsx and theres alot of interesting reading!

Looks technical but with some practice i reckon it cant be THAt difficult!

Mase

the standard maps are somewhat decent.

you wont run a high risk of running someone elses map if you pull some timing out of it, and run the car without beating on it. you cant hurt the motor if its running too lean on partial throttle, its when you put load on it, can the wrong AFR's/Ignition timing harm the motor

but as previously stated, be careful on whatever you upload.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Easy peasy to do some road tuning yourself if you have a bit of knowledge and are prepared to take the leap of faith!! :lol: You won't get the absolute best power from it, but it will be much better than doing nothing!! :idea:

Your ECU should be running in closed loop during part throttle anyway, so it is unlikely to run lean then. At worst your short term fuel trim will be all over the place which could then affect your long term trim. You could get problems during high load conditions/WOT when the ECU is in open loop, depending on what map you are running, and also what effect your long term fuel trim is having on open loop running.

If you are running someone elses map, then make sure they didn't have different injectors. That would really mess you up no end. Tuning your AFR is the easy part, and there are good notes on how to do it on the Hondata site. Next on the hit list would be ignition timing, you can monitor that by datalogging via KManager. If you are getting minor knock, then retard your timing in those areas. If it's knocking it's head off all over the place then globally retard the timing by fair bit to make sure it is safe.

I'm not going to go into the intricacies of tuning Cams/VTEC but with some datalogging and patience you will end up with a pretty reasonable map.

JDC5

Charged DC5
hey stu

i got a k-pro... its got the standard-ish map on there. i havent mapped it to my car yet as i've only got a cat-back exhaust.. so no point in pissing down £400 for map.

I'm waitin to get my gruppe m and headed.. but i just got made rredundant.. so dnt knw when this all will be happening.

I've been drivin the car for abt less then a month with the standardish map from hondate that evs put in for me.. tbh.. its best to be running rich then lean.

it sud be fine mate.

Jimmy