Kpro Tuner Required - experiences/suggestions

lockwood77

Advanced Member
This may seem like a stupid question from a long-time forum user who has seen plenty of tuning threads, but seriously, finding a tuner you can trust is not easy!

My KPro needs remapping (partly due to fitting an RBC & J's throttle body, partly because the existing map has poor part-throttle mapping and is suspected of over-advanced timing at the top end). It was originally a TDI North map from December 2004, but due to the nasty surprise I had after one service (I won't go into it here, it's been covered before), I won't be going back there.

So, who would you recommend or, more importantly, who would you avoid? If you don't want to share your bad experiences publicly, please PM me, I'm very discrete! I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who regularly track their cars or put their engines to more extreme tests, because for years I thought my map was good but it turned out not to be.

I see Artech getting good press, then I read some less complimentary things about them on CTRO and to be honest that has put me off.

CPL look to do plenty of high-spec K20s, so I assume they're good, but I don't see their name very often here and that makes me suspicious.

TDI South sound like they are to be avoided.

Do Abbey Motorsport do K20s? Their website is down.

I'm not trying to create a thread to cast aspersions on any particular tuners, although it may look like that - the last thing I want is a slanging match/my dad's bigger than your dad competition. I just want someone to map my car with a safe, quality tune!

dotty

Advanced Member
Abbey do K20's but charge bare dollar prices!!, like I mentioned in another thread lately, one bad experience posted on a forum leads to a lot of people jumping on a band wagon, my map was done at TDi south and from what I can see (and a recent pod time) it works just fine!! I am also returning approx 330-340 miles out of a tank, spirited driving included!

I guess you have to go where your heart is and not listen to generic fan boy posts...

I have never had a bad dealing from Tdi North, so I may be inclined to go up there for mapping :)

LeeH

Advanced Member
Shame you had a bad time at TDi, they seem to have done an awesome job on mine.

1. Mark @ Unit 8 is an alternative.

2. What about Mase? I aim to let him do mine when one of his visits falls on a good date for me.

dotty

Advanced Member
Who? never heard of them and I have been around the Honda world for some time now :?

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I'm very wary of fanboy/one bad experience type posts, so I'm trying to get a general overview. It's quite possible (likely, even) that my experience of TDI North was very rare and potentially coloured by the tuner who discovered the problem(s). Paul did offer to sort the car out, but I didn't feel comfortable with that.

I didn't realise Unit 8 do their own mapping?

Mase would be good but I'm running out of time before a trackday in three weeks! :eek:

Haven't heard of Garage 786, would be fantastic if they're any good as it's nearby (relative to other tuners!) Anybody else heard of them?

LeeH

Advanced Member
Mark does the mapping at Unit 8, he was at TDi when mine was done. Very knowledgeable chappie and he does all my work for me now.

They have to hire a local set of rollers tho, so I guess you would pay a little more.

Give him a ring, he know's his K20's.

I'd be interested what the problem was at TDi as Paul did a top job on mine.

jay82

Advanced Member
LeeH said:
Shame you had a bad time at TDi, they seem to have done an awesome job on mine.

1. Mark @ Unit 8 is an alternative.

2. What about Mase? I aim to let him do mine when one of his visits falls on a good date for me.
i'm waiting on mase to come to ireland aswell :D
think he was in the uk in december and didn't have enough numbers when he was there :(

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Never heard of Garage 786 and like Dotty i have been very involved in the modified honda scene quite a while.

If it was my money i would go to TDi North .

I know you had a bad experience but that can happen and am sure it was a one off, they have far more rave reveiws than bad ones. They are the only people i would go to for k20 mapping and TGM would also not use anyone else either, despite some being much much closer. (artech for example)
Pauls maps may not give as much HP as some but will provide 000's of miles of trouble free reliable motoring. without your car running dangerously lean to get more power on a graph, at the end its all about drivability.
I can't imagine its gona be too costly as it won't take too long .

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Just to say that my map was done at Artech tuning and so far it has been trouble free motoring. I have only done 10k miles since having it done (no trackdays), but so far I am happy.

As for garage 786, I have not used them yet, but I do know the owner (Ash from Supra forum). They started business last year (as garage 786), but Ash has been tuning cars for years, and has a pretty good reputation within the Supra tuning scene. His son has been working on Honda's for a while now, but as I mentioned I have not had any work done there so far.

I may give them a go myself next month for a service as they are a lot closer than TGM or TDI North.

Mark

mikegsi

Staff member
C&S Evo7 said:
Never heard of Garage 786 and like Dotty i have been very involved in the modified honda scene quite a while.

If it was my money i would go to TDi North .
+1

been to tdi north a few times getting different bits done and re-tunes, never had a bad one yet and wouldnt hesitate to travel the 150 miles each way to go again and again

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Yeah, I'm starting to think it was an unlucky experience with TDI and they are looking like the best bet at present. Excuse me while I pull on my napkin, that humble pie looks tasty... :lol:

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
8-[ More confused than ever. :shock:

:xhelp:

I come on here for help and advice 8) 8) But [-(

jonster

Advanced Member
It's really not that hard to road tune the car to perfection yourself you know. Watch the Hondata videos, they tell you all you need. Simply datalogging with you latop running KManager in the car will show you were you are running lean/rich over all rev ranges you can perform for a given trottle position / manifold pressure. The software even tells you A/F ratio plus suggested correction amount at any given point during your log. Once you have sorted your A/F ratio you'll notice a much smoother driving experience. If you still have some knocks after this you just need to retard the ignition map point at the time of the knock.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I like your style Jonster, but I'm struggling for the time and confidence to do it myself! Having spent time with RX-7s where the slightest bit of knock can spell the end of your engine, it makes me very nervous! :lol:

jonster

Advanced Member
Fair enough. Watching the videos may make you change your mind. Shame you're not a bit closer to Devon otherwise I could help you out. Knock is nowhere as serious on NA as a turbo, especially a fragile rotary engine.

Mase

lockwood77 said:
Mase would be good but I'm running out of time before a trackday in three weeks! :eek:

You're in luck, I will be flying over april 1st. I will be tuning cars all day friday april 3rd, and all day saturday april 4th before I head to other parts of europe. Ive booked the AWD dyno at DS Automotive. Looks to be another 8-10 cars this trip to the london area, should be fun none the less.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you guys with :xcheers:

Mase

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
Mase said:
You're in luck, I will be flying over april 1st. I will be tuning cars all day friday april 3rd, and all day saturday april 4th before I head to other parts of europe. Ive booked the AWD dyno at DS Automotive. Looks to be another 8-10 cars this trip to the london area, should be fun none the less.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you guys with :xcheers:

Mase
And over to Dublin?