Lack of power.. sometimes

spike

Ok, basically as the titles says, sometimes - more often then not actually, when I put the foot down theres just a serious lack of power. And then other times it pulls pefectly and theres loads of torque even before vtec.
I only have the car on the road 4 days, and I noticed this on the second day.

Im thinking maybe its the petrol im using ? Although I've tried several garages at this stage. Any ideas what the problem may be ?

Car is pretty standard apart from an exhaust manifold, I dont know what make it is though as its heat wrapped.

Cheers

spo_gen

Advanced Member
Weather and temperatures can play a huge part in performance.
Or as others has quoted, petrol/oil/filter etc....

ausR

Advanced Member
is it always in the same gear?
just thinking if youve only had car 4 days u may not be used to how the engine responds in different gears?

spike

No it happens in different gears. I raced a mates EG6 SiR civic which made 178bhp on the rolling road and we were dead even..
But then I raced a mates Evo 3 and did well compared to other cars he's raced.

I've tried Shell V-Power, and a few other service stations for petrol. We only have 95 octane petrol available over here in Ireland though.

Engine oil is golden brown, looks like it was changed before leaving japan, and the air filter is also very new looking. I think I'll change the oil and fuel filter in the next few days though.

Plugs, I havent had a look at yet. It's not throwing the CEL on either, or any dash lights.

It's really strange, sometimes I drive the car and it feels way quicker then the 2 DC2s I've had previously. And other times it just feels so dead.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Hope these races were on a private road or drag stip :idea:

Anyway, sounds like a fueling problem to me.

spike

Yea they were on my own private drag strip..
:wink:

It was more to guage how the car was more then anything.

Could you be more specific when you say fuel problem ?

spike

Im really begining to think that this is heatsoak. Had the car sitting idling earlier for nearly an hour, and when I drove it, it was real sluggish. When the car is colder it pulls like it should.
Has no-one else on here experienced this ? Been talking to a few local DC5 owners, and all have similiar experiences every now and then.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
fuel prob defo, unless you have a mappable ecu then 95 is not good enough, it is mapped for 100 in japan, so even our super etc is only just enough

clio_phil

spike said:
Im really begining to think that this is heatsoak. Had the car sitting idling earlier for nearly an hour, and when I drove it, it was real sluggish. When the car is colder it pulls like it should.
Has no-one else on here experienced this ? Been talking to a few local DC5 owners, and all have similiar experiences every now and then.
i started having this one mine, check the cold air feed to the intake, make sure its sealed. mine was making a sucking noise on acceleration along with the loss of power you described.

acepty

Advanced Member
mine feels the same some times with power and some times not, I haven´t drive mine much so It could be a case of misperception...
fuel overhere is 95 octane I´m using shell V power
I haven´t check the air filter, or the plugs yet, just did the oil change...

If it was a case of fuel octane can an octane booster help or is not recomended :?:

mikegsi

Staff member
do the usuals then check the fuel - had a similar problem which turned out to be that the fuel pump had come off its clips in the tank and was floating rather than being held in the petrol, it was sucking in air as well as fuel so not running properly at all.......

started off mild then gradually got worse