laptops

JDC5

Charged DC5
I knw laptops are waste off money.. but i really want one for times wen i get bored at work or even in the car.. maybe play around wit the k-pro and that..

is there any point in gettin a apple laptop? or should i just got for a cheaper one, say dell.. or something?

JD

tron2k3

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
I knw laptops are waste off money.. but i really want one for times wen i get bored at work or even in the car.. maybe play around wit the k-pro and that..

is there any point in gettin a apple laptop? or should i just got for a cheaper one, say dell.. or something?

JD
I have an Apple Laptop it allows you to boot into the mac osx operating system and windows depending on which you prefer, highly recommend one as they are lightweight and look good compared to your standard pc laptop and are pretty well specced up, I can hook mine upto Kpro with no problems.

Have a look here http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=A35F9A3&nclm=Certified they are refurbished units but you get a years apple care warrenty and they look brand new, usually they are dead on arrival machines and the parts are replaced or cancelled orders, we've ordered loads of these with work and they are always perfect. The benefit is you get it alot cheaper while also retaining a good warrenty, if you wish you can extend the warrenty upto 3 years.

JDC5

Charged DC5
Thanks tron2k3

Just a few more question...(i'm a newbie with PC and latops) thanks for the link, the first macpro looks good.. is it a good spec?

Can i ask what model and spec do you have?

- is there any point in gettin the 13" one? or should i spend that extra to go for the 15" one?

- So i can run windows xp on the laptop? how can i do this?

- Can i use a usb mouse instead ot the touch pad?

- I got a samsung 32" LCD, i use this sometime as a second monitor for my PC at home, can i do the same for the laptop, but the resoultion has to be 1360x768.. can i change the settings?

- Also.. what does it mean but glossy screen? whats the differences?

Thanks tron2k3!!

Jimmy

tron2k3

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
Thanks tron2k3

Just a few more question...(i'm a newbie with PC and latops) thanks for the link, the first macpro looks good.. is it a good spec?

Can i ask what model and spec do you have?

- is there any point in gettin the 13" one? or should i spend that extra to go for the 15" one?

- So i can run windows xp on the laptop? how can i do this?

- Can i use a usb mouse instead ot the touch pad?

- I got a samsung 32" LCD, i use this sometime as a second monitor for my PC at home, can i do the same for the laptop, but the resoultion has to be 1360x768.. can i change the settings?

- Also.. what does it mean but glossy screen? whats the differences?

Thanks tron2k3!!

Jimmy
Jimmy

It all depends on how much you want to spend and what your using it for. I've got the 15" Mac Pro as I use it for work and need the bigger screen, if you are using it for Emails, Internet and General things like word processing etc the 13" will be adequate.

There are 2 ways you can run windows xp:

1. Bootcamp: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
This allows you to boot into just windows xp so it is in sole windows xp mode and it will be exactly the same as working on a pc.

2. Parallels http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
This allows you to run windows side my side of the mac osx so you can switch between the 2.

For both you will require a copy of windows xp to install, or if you have a mate that knows people that can help you out with a copy :wink:

Any USB mouse will work fine

You will be able to hook up your tv fine as long its got a vga or dvi port on it, if you get a mac book you will require one of these http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=93FE2CAE&nplm=M9320 though I think the mac book pro's come with one. The resolution will show in you display settings and you just select the best setting from the menu.

The glossy screens give you a wider viewing field, eg if you have several people round your laptop, with the normal lcd some people will have difficult looking at it from the side angles, while this allows them to see whats on your screen, personally I don't like them because you can get quite alot of reflection if lights or sunlight are bouncing off them, also I'd prefer people not being able to see what's on my screen if I'm in a public place.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Will

JDC5

Charged DC5
Hey Will

Thanks for that!

i think option 2 sounds better, it says i can run them both without switchin and rebooting, which is a plus.. then on the down side, it cost money!..lol

Which one do you have? (dnt worry, i have a real windows XP cd.)

I'm goin to be using it for generally use, no work. so mainly, emails, surfin the net, downloading music, I would be playin games (RTS base games) and watchin alot of movies cos i get very bored at work.. also playin on the photoshop program..

the 13" black one is abt £1000ish.. do you think its worth it goin to the 15" for £1600ish? being a macbook pro owner.

I move around alot, so i like to be able to carry it around and so on..

Also, what extra did you get? do i need the apple modem to connect to the net? the wireless migthy mouse looks good too.

plus... the 13" has 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo , and the 15" has 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.. i mean, is there a big big difference in the speed? 2.16 to 2.4? a lot?

Cheers Will

Jimmy

ausR

Advanced Member
ive got a MacBook Pro.

i just use it for general tasks really, the MacBook would have been sufficient but after using mates MacBooks the extra screen size is definately better. you also get dedicated graphics card on the MacBook Pro as opposed to the shared graphics on the MacBook so if u wanted to connect it to a higher res panel that ur current one u have more options and will also run games better. and graphic intensive programs.

there should be a 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro available too, which is closer in price to the macBook if ur really after it for the xtra screen size, both the 13" and the 15" are more than portable.

You wont need the apple modem unless ur on Dial-up.

and i wouldnt say its a waster of money, i use mine as my only computer, i take it work i use it at home i take it away with me. very handy and very powerful computer still

tron2k3

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
Hey Will

Thanks for that!

i think option 2 sounds better, it says i can run them both without switchin and rebooting, which is a plus.. then on the down side, it cost money!..lol

Which one do you have? (dnt worry, i have a real windows XP cd.)

I'm goin to be using it for generally use, no work. so mainly, emails, surfin the net, downloading music, I would be playin games (RTS base games) and watchin alot of movies cos i get very bored at work.. also playin on the photoshop program..

the 13" black one is abt £1000ish.. do you think its worth it goin to the 15" for £1600ish? being a macbook pro owner.

I move around alot, so i like to be able to carry it around and so on..

Also, what extra did you get? do i need the apple modem to connect to the net? the wireless migthy mouse looks good too.

plus... the 13" has 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo , and the 15" has 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.. i mean, is there a big big difference in the speed? 2.16 to 2.4? a lot?

Cheers Will

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy

I currently use both Parallels and Bootcamp, the good thing about it, is that you can have both, for example running games on it you will want to boot into boot camp, so that all the computer processing is dedicated to the windows xp part, but if you are doing general things running in parralel is adequate so you can switch between the 2.

If you are going to play games I suggest the mac book pro is best as AusR mentioned it has a dedicated graphics card which will help greatly.

Processor speed wise there isn't that much difference but try to go for the Core 2 Duo processors as they are superior to the Core Duo and looking at the list on the refurbs on there they seem to be the same price eventhough the one at the top (15-inch, 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) has a 256mb graphics card compared to the 128mb and also has 2gb of ram, and for £1,149.00inc vat is very close to the new macbook prices, and this is a macbook pro and you still get the years warrenty and the option to extend to 3 years http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA610

As always if you can afford to go for the best model its worth paying the extra, plus when it comes to selling a mac pro laptop they always hold their value quite well on ebay which is a bonus.

As AusR mentioned the modem is only required if you are using a dialup connection, they all have airport (which is for wireless internet), bluetooth (so you can use your mobile phone for internet, if your mobile allows it) and ethernet which is used if you have broadband.

I recommend the mighty mouse but other than that you don't need any other extra's as it comes with everything you need.

Cheers

Will

JDC5

Charged DC5
Thanks Will and ausR

I've decided to go for the Macbook pro 2.4GHz model, But to glossy screen or not..lol.. mite got to PC world to see what its about..

Okay, here is the shopping list.

Apple wireless Mighty Mouse / Speck SeeThru for 15,4" MacBook Pro Clear Hard Shell / MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Order Total: £1,682.95

I'm going to use the apple finance at 24months repayments, I havent got that amount to put out. repayment total is abt £80 a months, so i guess its not too bad. do you think its worth it?

also.. what case do you have for carrying the macbook pro around guys?

Thanks for all the help and advice!! much appricated!!

Jimmy

ausR

Advanced Member
ive got the matte screen on mine, the glossy will be very reflective if you are gonna use urs outside or near windows etc.
i believe glossy screens look better for games movies etc but the colours arent overall as accurate and can look a little overdone.

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Defo best to go and see one then you will know which you prefer, plus it will give you an idea of what there like to, I'm with AusR I prefer the matte finish due to glare issues, though a collegue has the gloss screen on a 17" laptop and isn't too bad, no where near as bad as the dell glossy screens, there like the old crt's in front of a window, and you can't see anything.

JDC5

Charged DC5
update

went to PC world.. i looked at the macbook / pro.

the little macbook looks very good!! love the size of it.. but honestly spaking if i did buy it, it wont be want i want. next up.. macbook pro.

its doesnt look as flashy as the macbook, but its still a great laptop!..was playin it for 20min.. i really do like..

so went home, logged on apple online, ordered the macbook pro, click the finance option, then the next screen came up.. damn!!!! i have to be 23 to get it on finance!!! bloody hell...i'm 2 years short!!.. thats just silly!! i dnt knw there was a age thing.. i mean.. of course can keep up the repayments!! no happy at all

soo.. called up apple in bluewater, asked if there was any way round this.. then i got a guy sayin.. you can ask ur mum! makes me sound like a bloody 15year old.. stupid!!

rant over

i think im gona go for the glossy screen.. it looked good in the shops..

JD

tron2k3

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
update

went to PC world.. i looked at the macbook / pro.

the little macbook looks very good!! love the size of it.. but honestly spaking if i did buy it, it wont be want i want. next up.. macbook pro.

its doesnt look as flashy as the macbook, but its still a great laptop!..was playin it for 20min.. i really do like..

so went home, logged on apple online, ordered the macbook pro, click the finance option, then the next screen came up.. d*mn!!!! i have to be 23 to get it on finance!!! bloody hell...i'm 2 years short!!.. thats just silly!! i dnt knw there was a age thing.. i mean.. of course can keep up the repayments!! no happy at all

soo.. called up apple in bluewater, asked if there was any way round this.. then i got a guy sayin.. you can ask ur mum! makes me sound like a bloody 15year old.. stupid!!

rant over

i think im gona go for the glossy screen.. it looked good in the shops..

JD
Cool you won't be dissapointed :)

Is mummy going to buy it for you :xalright: Just kidding :lol:

If you need any more help or apps ;) give me a shout

Will

JDC5

Charged DC5
hahha.. :D

no mummy is not..

alrite will, sure thing, thanks mate! much appricated!

Jimmy