Larger Throttle Body Benefits? Worth the cost?

AneesR

Hi guys,

I am going to get the RBC manifold for my DC5 from CPL. Is there any point getting a larger 70mm throttle body too?

CPL say that:

"the larger thottle body gives much better throttle response and drivability"

I asked the mapper for there opinion and he said:

"My opinion is that the factory throttle is fine. The factory throttle hasn‘t caused a restriction on any that I‘ve mapped so far, and I‘d know if there was one because I‘d see the engine pulling vacuum at high RPM. I‘d say save your money. The RBC works well, though !"

Could those that have experienced both found a noticeable difference that's worth paying the extra for? Again not expecting a big bhp difference at all, but i drive experience opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Anees

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
AneesR said:
Hi guys,

I am going to get the RBC manifold for my DC5 from CPL. Is there any point getting a larger 70mm throttle body too?

CPL say that:

"the larger thottle body gives much better throttle response and drivability"

I asked the mapper for there opinion and he said:

"My opinion is that the factory throttle is fine. The factory throttle hasn‘t caused a restriction on any that I‘ve mapped so far, and I‘d know if there was one because I‘d see the engine pulling vacuum at high RPM. I‘d say save your money. The RBC works well, though !"

Could those that have experienced both found a noticeable difference that's worth paying the extra for? Again not expecting a big bhp difference at all, but i drive experience opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Anees
No first hand experience but there was a debate about this the other month either on here or the Facebook page (can't remember) and the general consensus was that an aftermarket TB was pretty pointless until about 300bhp or so iirc.

Brecht

Advanced Member
my mapper said my engine was pulling vacuum , didn't know what he meant by that... but find it stange that it would pull vacuum :xhuh:
still have the original tb with an rrc manifold,made 246bhp and 238nm.
2nd time mapping the car he didn't mention it , only changed the intake from tegiwa airbox to password jdm airbox.
don't think to much of it really , made nice figures with oem tb. dont know what a larger one would do but it's a lot of money for a few bhp

AneesR

Brecht said:
my mapper said my engine was pulling vacuum , didn't know what he meant by that... but find it stange that it would pull vacuum :xhuh:
still have the original tb with an rrc manifold,made 246bhp and 238nm.
2nd time mapping the car he didn't mention it , only changed the intake from tegiwa airbox to password jdm airbox.
don't think to much of it really , made nice figures with oem tb. dont know what a larger one would do but it's a lot of money for a few bhp
To be fair - spending any of this money on a non-turbo/supercharged car is a large amount of money for the small gains! lol Still I bet it drives much nicer and thats what its all about. xthumbup

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I had a 70mm throttle body when I had my ep3, some times was quite jerky when going slow in traffic ect. looked nice though lol.
I think the gains you would see are minimum. maybe 2bhp?

I wouldn't bother unless your really chasing numbers.

if you do get a 70mm TB, The RBC and adaptor will have to be ported to 70mm too otherwise you really are wasting your time.
Plus obviously at least a 70mm intake hose on to your induction kit to keep it all flowing nice.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AneesR

Thanks for the advice.

I've just ordered the RBC manifold cut to the standard size throttle body and an adapter.

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
The J's Racing and Spoon throttle bodies (tapered) give a difference compared with the OEM throttle body.
While mapping the DC5 we found out the throttle response was a lot better with the J's throttle body compared to OEM.

But still a lot of money for the gains you get ;)

Matt-DC5

Advanced Member
I run a 70mm Hybrid Racing TB with 70mm ported RBC and drivability is fine when up to temp, however on a cold morning it can be a real jerky b**ch. My mapper thought it might ruin the drivability but after a road test said it suprised him