Launch Control

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
Ever since having the K-Pro fitted i get sporadic launces. Now i know K-Pro kicks in at 3500rpm for me but im finding if i launch a quick start as i normally would have before the car judders as if misfiring. I then quickly diagnosed that it wasnt misfiring it was the limiter at 3500!!

Now how exactly does the launch control work? is there a set mph that the limiter goes? or is it something to do with the clutch being depressed as well?

I find ill pull off at a roundabout making good progress only for 3500 to limit it and me stutter then suddenly the power comes through and im flying :lol: other times ill pull off and just get a smooth power delivery.

Anyone else gone through this?

Jayk

Advanced Member
never been a fan of launch control, i dont know where it is on mine, doesnt seem like its engaged.

seen it work on another dc5, he held his foot to the floor (boucing of the l/c limiter), dropped the clutch, and i think it limits the power to the wheels some how, not sure on how it works.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
AFAICR it limits you to the Lanuch control limit til the ECU senses wheels speed above a certain RPM

Dunno if you can change it though

mikegsi

Staff member
not really neccesary, on pauls advice at system r i didnt get the launch control set up, apparently a pain for hill starts!

i did a few quarter mile runs and never suffered from not having it

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
well ive tried starts from it and tbh its ok but i think i might be able to do just as well with normal starts :|

How easy is it to turn off if i hook my laptop up to the ECU? i mean if its just a case of de-selecting an option then i think ill do that for the time being.

Jayk

Advanced Member
Guys, ive a KPRO on mine but it didnt come with a cd for software, there is a usb port on the ecu is there, so where do i get the software, and will a normal usb data cable work?

:arrow: Jimmy hope im not hijacking this thread!

turbo5

Advanced Member
Jayk said:
Guys, ive a KPRO on mine but it didnt come with a cd for software, there is a usb port on the ecu is there, so where do i get the software, and will a normal usb data cable work?

Kpro software download is free from their site. Personally I wouldn't play with your programme unless you know what you doing
http://www.hondata.com/kpro.html

mikegsi

Staff member
Jayk said:

software is freely available from the hondata website, standard usb will do the job, though i looked into 'adjusting' mine and decided to leave well enough alone............

Glitch

Advanced Member
I have launch control on mine and it works a treat! Basicall it works by limiting the rpm to 4500 when at a stand still then once you are moving over 3mph it cuts back to the normal limit. This basically means you can sit there with your foot to the floor and it will hold the rpm at 4500 then as soon as you drop the clutch and start moving it goes back to being a 9000 limit or what ever you have it set at. Great launches every time. Its just a lazy thing really, if you can hold the revs at what you want and have the clutch at the biting point at the same time then you dont need it. I just find it easier to plant my right foot and drop the clutch.

mikegsi

Staff member
if i remember rightly you cant rev over 5.5k with a k20 when static anyway?

always used to annoy sound testers on static db checks when they wanted 6k :wink:

DC5TU

Advanced Member
With a std ECu you cant rev over 5.5kRPM

With the KPro i could rev all the way up to 9kRPM or so static

Unless you had your "Launch Control" set at 5.5KRPM?!?!?

Jayk

Advanced Member
turbo5 said:
Jayk said:

Kpro software download is free from their site. Personally I wouldn't play with your programme unless you know what you doing
http://www.hondata.com/kpro.html
Thanks Mate, will have a play tonight :D

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
jimmy_atr said:
well ive tried starts from it and tbh its ok but i think i might be able to do just as well with normal starts :|

How easy is it to turn off if i hook my laptop up to the ECU? i mean if its just a case of de-selecting an option then i think ill do that for the time being.
has anyone turned LC off themselves then?

Jayk

Advanced Member
im gonna have a play tonight jimmy so i will let you know if there is an option for it, im going to try and change vtec engagement on full load only as its p1ssing me off!

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Mine does the same, just spoke to Paul at TDi and he just says raise the limit.

Jayk

Advanced Member
here ya go, it says just enter the value of 0 and it removes the launch limiter.

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
Jayk said:
here ya go, it says just enter the value of 0 and it removes the launch limiter.
cool sounds like a plan

Was yours setup for launch control? or are those the existing values? just wanted to check i dont have to change anything else

Jayk

Advanced Member
jade does bang it up proper :lol:

jimmy thats just the base interface, my ecu was not plugged in then. But that is all you need to change from looking at it.

I just tried plugging my ecu in and downloading the info, but getting errors, will get another thread up or go on the hondata site and read up more, its good interface and awful way to map a car,can not be live mapped :(

tron2k3

Advanced Member
I think you'll have to get a copy of the map from your tuner as a .kal file then load the .kal, change the launch control settings then upload it.