Leak from fuel filter when putting in a full tank, and supercharer boost / lean cut....

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hi all,

so previously my return fuel feed line split and has been replaced with a braided one, everything sorted.

however, a new minor fault has appeared which is that when i put a full tank in, the fuel leaks from the fuel filter seal area..... this only happens when the last half litre of fuel is going in, and once that has leaked out everything is fine.

however, when i went out for a "spirited drive" last night, the engine also felt like it boost cutted, but im guessing this was lean cut as there must be a fuel pressure problem regarding this minor leak.

has anyone else had a leaky fuel filter before?

this picture is outdated as like i said there is a new braided cable in place now, but the area around here is covered in fuel when it leaks (notice the shiny reflective parts where fuel has been) at a full tank as some of the lads on the evo run found out haha.

any info appreciated, cheers

Rom

Advanced Member
Try a new seal first of all. If the things been in and out, it may be flattened or maybe a slight knick. Its the easiest, cheapest thing to rule out.
If the top is dry, around all the connections, and its only wet around the where this picture shows.
Id try that, cant remember if these lock in place, or just do up? But maybe its not tight enough, or has slipped a thread. Feel around the screw part, to see if the gap is even all around.

Oh and it shouldnt cause fuel issues. The tank does pressurise, but its not a pressurised sytem. That pump would still pump fuel in a open top container.

A breather / vent problem could also make the tank over pressurise, and seep at weakest point.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Just to add t what Rom said, these screw into place, and are generally a bit fiddly. Be out with a long screw driver and a hammer to loosen it, and probably to finish nipping it up when reinstalling it.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Cheers guys! Top advice as usual.

Need to source the seal from somewhere, as I know it comes with the fuel filter which is like £30 but not sure if it can be supplied separately.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
little update..

i looked into this a bit further, when i am putting fuel in there is an audible hiss coming from the area.

so i put my hand down there while my dad filled up and there is an air leak from the point where the black AN fitting joins to the fuel filter.

this only happened when fuel was being pumped in, and you could feel the air coming out of this joint.

so that makes me think that is is the AN fitting that is the suspect of the leak, not the fuel filter seal, as the filter is in solid tight anyway!

thoughts?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Sound like you have it sussed. The other option is to spare WD40 on it while filling up and see if it bubbles up.

I'm guessing here, as I can't quite remember but that ANs fitting is not OEM is it??

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Sound like you have it sussed. The other option is to spare WD40 on it while filling up and see if it bubbles up.

I'm guessing here, as I can't quite remember but that ANs fitting is not OEM is it??
nope i think its aftermarket AN-6 as its an upgraded fuel pump too...

i think the AN parts are quite cheap so i will get one ordered and ready to go on! :)

unless ive cracked the actual fuel filter where it meets the AN, as i applied a lot of pressure to that joint when i was fitting the new braided fuel line...

in that case new filter required too... hmmm

could be worth ordering a replacement filter anyway, since they are only £30 i think and it doesnt look like its been replaced?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Ahh, I see. For the cost of it I would personally be replacing the lot.

If you have no record of the fuel filter ever being changed then it will be no bad thing to it.