Less play in OEM Shifter?

spooke

Advanced Member
Looking to get rid of the play in my OEM shifter, without buying a K-Tuned Billet shifter. Already running the K-Tuned Shifter Spring and Pivot Ball but there is slight play back and forth and quite a lot side to side.

What do you all recommend? Not really after shortened shifts, just a tighter OEM shifter.

spooke

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Mtec shift springs. I got the race ones, and they made it much stiffer.
Thanks, going to get one ordered. Also picked up the K-Tuned Billet Arm in H-Tune's sale.

Bewesy

Advanced Member
When I fitted my K-Tuned shifter arm I found there was more play than I expected, especially side to side.

I noticed the ends of the spring that sit in the v grooves in the alloy arm were being held apart slightly too wide allowing some side to side play before the spring came in to contact with the plastic of the original shifter.

I just filed the V grooves about 1mm deeper using a small round file which allowed the spring to close up a little bit more against the plastic. This removed all play side to side in the shifter mechanism.

I only have a very small amount of fore-aft play now but that is not in the arm at all, but in the top of the gearbox, but not enough to bother me.

spooke

Advanced Member
Bewesy said:
When I fitted my K-Tuned shifter arm I found there was more play than I expected, especially side to side.

I noticed the ends of the spring that sit in the v grooves in the alloy arm were being held apart slightly too wide allowing some side to side play before the spring came in to contact with the plastic of the original shifter.

I just filed the V grooves about 1mm deeper using a small round file which allowed the spring to close up a little bit more against the plastic. This removed all play side to side in the shifter mechanism.

I only have a very small amount of fore-aft play now but that is not in the arm at all, but in the top of the gearbox, but not enough to bother me.
Thanks for the info, was this with the latest billet arm? Hopefully should get mine soon (Unfortunately H-Tune ran out of stock so I had to buy it from Tegiwa in their Christmas sale)...

Bewesy

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Thanks for the info, was this with the latest billet arm? Hopefully should get mine soon (Unfortunately H-Tune ran out of stock so I had to buy it from Tegiwa in their Christmas sale)...

I've had it about a year so not sure if it's identical. Here's mine when I fitted it. You should be able to see if it's the grooves/spring that's causing the play as when you wiggle the stick from side to side the arm moves accordingly. The spring should be just touching the plastic rather than being held apart by the alloy piece.

spooke

Advanced Member
Bewesy said:
I've had it about a year so not sure if it's identical. Here's mine when I fitted it. You should be able to see if it's the grooves/spring that's causing the play as when you wiggle the stick from side to side the arm moves accordingly. The spring should be just touching the plastic rather than being held apart by the alloy piece.
Thanks for the photo, mine arrived today and looks identical to yours. I'll check out when I go to fit it :)

Bewesy

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Thanks for the photo, mine arrived today and looks identical to yours. I'll check out when I go to fit it :)
Ah, sorry. Thought you already had this fitted. This may cure all your woes. But a bit of a tweak may make it even better. Good luck :)

spooke

Advanced Member
Bewesy said:
Ah, sorry. Thought you already had this fitted. This may cure all your woes. But a bit of a tweak may make it even better. Good luck :)
Ah no I'm currently just running the K-Tuned Spring and Pivot Ball. That was a good improvement but still has a lot of play... the OEM shifter is awful lol

gurrik

I have the ktuned shifter arm and it works a treat for me. Completely took away the play from oem. Makes shifting really tight and precise I find it makes a big difference. After reading around it was one of the first mods i did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
I did suffer mis-shift (up shift) in the track as dc5 new owner last summer. I have replaced the oem one by k-tune billet arm, shift mechanism mtec springs ( racing), rebleed the clutch, adjust the clutch master rod further out.

As a result, my dc5 flying in the track in Sep, with my improved shifting technique.

In my opinion, k-tune billet arm n mtec spring are best combo modification. It gave me so much fun n confidence in shifting in track.

Some people keep saying the whole k-tune shifter + shift cables are better. But i doubt. Best mod in my personal view is about improvement without making too much changes from the original. Lot of sport cars are still using plastic resin as the shifter base bcos it can absorb the vibration.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

SPOON TEG

Been suffering with this problem myself, only had the car 2 weeks and has really started to annoy me ...after reading this thread just purchased the billet arm from H-tune hopefully will be here tomorrow and i can get rid of this dreaded slack lol cheers guys

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
This is what shifting Issue I found from the novice experienced in track. If the newbie owner just drive on road, I reckon they may not see the problem seriously in early stage of ownership.
In the end, after some work, I can enjoy it pretty much. DC5 is really one of best cars in track.

Have a look on my video about the changes/difference (apologies for my poor skill but I enjoy the fun anyways).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUmYnMwWjQmg58VI2ZvFlkiv9cf0H05mK

nsxer

Advanced Member
i have this mod and it definitely tightens the box up ... but it does not eradicate the main issue that the box is a disgrace. In all my years of owning Honda's I have NEVER experienced poor Gear boxes and this is a real disappointment.

i also purchased the tegiwa short shifter kit and the hybrid racing bushens

I'm opting for the complete K-tune fix and just move on from this

ohh and just purchaed the mtec springs based on feedback here just to get the best I can get

p1tse

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Ah no I'm currently just running the K-Tuned Spring and Pivot Ball. That was a good improvement but still has a lot of play... the OEM shifter is awful lol
I have k tuned sprint and pivot ball, along with tegiwa short shifter and m&m bushes; seems a good daily combo for me i.e. Not much play and not stupid stiff

spooke

Advanced Member
I fitted the K-Tuned Billet Arm yesterday. Noticed that the securing pin had actually come out a little causing most of the play. However I still went ahead and fitted the new arm - had to do what Bewesy said and file one side down, bit annoying they didn't just design it properly.

It feels the best it ever has, so smooth, tight with minimal play. Actually feels how I expected the OEM setup to feel like, almost mechanical linkage now. Well worth it and I definitely recommend it, not overly tight either and I'm now unsure if I want to bother with the springs as it feels almost perfect to me now.

Matt-DC5

Advanced Member
Surely by the time you've purchased all of the bits to go on the OEM shifter unit, you may as well have bought the k-tuned billet shifter. Before I got mine I was weighing up the cost and for a bit extra it made sense rather than faffing about. Best modification ive done to the car

spooke

Advanced Member
Matt-DC5 said:
Surely by the time you've purchased all of the bits to go on the OEM shifter unit, you may as well have bought the k-tuned billet shifter. Before I got mine I was weighing up the cost and for a bit extra it made sense rather than faffing about. Best modification ive done to the car
Well so far it's only cost me around a 1/3rd of the K-Tuned Shifter, I do like the look of it and I'm sure it is very good - but I want to retain a OEM feel but without the play which I pretty much have now.