Less the 3.5k miles in a year

craigcolt

Advanced Member
Can't belive it. I have only done 3446 miles in a year. Taking the over all mileage on my car to 13,446. No bad for an 8 year old car.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I assume your car is like mine and purely for pleasure - nice one :)

btw, I'm on course to beat that :) although that's mainly cos I haven't had much time to take the car out as much as I want :(

Grov

Banned
I don't get it when people boast about doing so little miles. You can't like driving it that much then IMO.......

Dan2020

Advanced Member
Grov said:
I don't get it when people boast about doing so little miles. You can't like driving it that much then IMO.......
Exactly, these cars are for driving!!! I drive mine every day!!

Andy.

Advanced Member
craigcolt said:
13,446... 8 year old car.
Flippin' heck :shock:

I've done 6k in a year but that should hopefully drop next year as i'm on the verge of getting a second car to spread the mileage out. That way i can keep the '5 for special occaisions/weekend blasts and it'll feel even more special when i do use it :D

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
MOT'd the first day I got the teg on the road and clocked 24k miles at it's 2nd MOT a couple weeks ago. Still feels just as special when driving as the first day I got it, plus with power mods on the way it will just make it so much better

craigcolt

Advanced Member
I only do so little miles because I have a van plus my wife has a new car thus saving me petrol and wear and tear. Plus it's here to stay so in 30 years when it's a classic and it has less than 60k on the clock I'll be a happy man

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Grov said:
It's all about circumstances. I Have two cars mate and I don't/can't use a car during the week (I work in the city or am abroad) + I work very long hours so taking the teg out on a week day is not really going to happen. You see where I'm coming from?

I did say I don't take the teg out as much as I would like... I'm not boasting, just bantering with Craig :) As much as I like my cars, I have other interests as well. And when I work so damn hard during the week, realistically I only have the weekend to carry out my numerous interests (if I'm not working).
Some of us are lucky (or unlucky to other ppl) to not have to use the teg as a daily driver covering motorway miles etc etc

The reason I'm on this board at all hours of the day, is because when I get a bit of spare time during the day, I catch up on here to take a 5mins break away from my workaholic life..

cpoh

Advanced Member
The reason I bought my DC5 was because I needed a fun and cheap daily drive! The whole point of the DC5 is that its cheap to run, maintain has a bit of poke and fun factor for the commute.

If I had a daily runaround I would be looking at something a lot more special to drive as a weekend car. E46 M3, R32/R33 GTR skyline, Audi RS4, rx7, there's loads of cars out there that fit the weekend car tag much better than the DC5 imo.

craigcolt

Advanced Member
blueguy said:
Grov said:
I did say I don't take the teg out as much as I would like... I'm not boasting, just bantering with Craig :)
Exactly it's all about how much time you have to drive it. I only made the comment as I just noticed my signature thats all.

kingston

Advanced Member
cpoh said:
E46 M3, R32/R33 GTR skyline, Audi RS4, rx7, there's loads of cars out there that fit the weekend car tag much better than the DC5 imo.
Depending on your budget.

Ive used mine for both 'aspects' and its still as good today as it was when it got shipped over some 55k (of my) miles ago.

Andy.

Advanced Member
cpoh said:
there's loads of cars out there that fit the weekend car tag much better than the DC5 imo.
Yeah, that also cost a lot more to run and maintain. I don't think you can get much better "bang for your buck" than a DC5. Go further up the ladder ,and yes you're looking at Evos, Imprezas, M3s GTRs etc, but they will be MUCH more difficult on the wallet.

I'd be more than happy to keep the DC5 as my special car and have an older Honda (CRX, Prelude, early Teg) as my "normal" car.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Andy. said:
cpoh said:
there's loads of cars out there that fit the weekend car tag much better than the DC5 imo.
Yeah, that also cost a lot more to run and maintain. I don't think you can get much better "bang for your buck" than a DC5. Go further up the ladder ,and yes you're looking at Evos, Imprezas, M3s GTRs etc, but they will be MUCH more difficult on the wallet.
I'd be more than happy to keep the DC5 as my special car and have an older Honda (CRX, Prelude, early Teg) as my "normal" car.
Exactly why the DC5 makes a decent daily driver!

If you have a car as a weekend car doing 100 miles a week tops, petrol costs dont come into it. Service, tyres and maintenance are all not an issue because you will be doing so little mileage aswell. The only real outlay is the cost of the car, insurance and tax, all of which are in the same bracket as the DC5 (except in ireland where tax is based on engine size and is a killer :oops: ) All these cars can be bought, taxed and insured for the same as a DC5 can in the uk. In fact the E46 M3 is cheaper for me to insure, its the crippling everyday running costs that would stop me from buying one - not a concern with the mileage we are talking about.

I really cant see the logic in having the DC5 as a weekend car, its not really fast in the real world, it handles really well, but not as well as some of the cars ive mentioned in my other post and its nothing to look at either (granted either are some of the cars ive mentioned).

I suppose when it boils down to it when you have a weekend car you want it to be something special everytime you turn the key, be it performance, handling or looks. The DC5 is decentish at all three but doesnt really excel in any and is exactly why its my daily runaround. Give me an E46 M3 or skyline for a backroad blast ahead of one anyday.

Sorry if im offending ayone :-#

Grov

Banned
A E46 M3 isn't as quick as you think, it needs to be revved just as much as a K20 to get the best out of it, in terms of bhp/tonne it's not as far ahead as most people seem to think, and it looks no-where near as good as a DC5, plus it's a tossers car. :green:

Skyline is a good shout, but they weigh a lot, were talking half a tonne more than a DC5, sure there easy to get more power out off, but then you can have major issues with turbo lag, and major bills for anything that goes bang, not mention the interior is awful. If you wanted to go very fast in a straight line a modded skyline GTR is the way forward........but thats lame.

A weekend car to me would be an Elise, or a S2000, or a Atom, or Caterham, something impractical and excellent fun to drive.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
cpoh said:
Sorry if im offending ayone :-#
No offense taken on my part mate, it's a good debate we've got going here :)

For me the 5 gives me what I want from a 'weekend' car - fun to drive, great feedback, good on the twisties and IMO is a stunner to look at. I'm spending a small fortune on some choice mods at the moment and tbh, for the total cost car + mods, there isn't another car that interests me. Each and their own, horses for courses etc etc :)

larz

Advanced Member
I can't bear the thought of not driving my DC5 day in day out... what wear and tear? who cares about mileage? I certainly don't, now that i have one... I'm keeping it for the next 5 years at least and by then i'll be pushing 120k miles i'd say... on about 70k now...

If you've only done 6k in your teg i feel bad for you... you're seriously seriously missing out... the teg loves being driven day in day out... If you drive a couple of hundred miles a week then ok, would be a waste in a teg. but if you only have a half hour commute i don't see the point in a second car...

I think the DC5 is still as stunning as the day they released it. Where I live, it IS special.

paul 16v

Advanced Member
Grov said:
A E46 M3 isn't as quick as you think, it needs to be revved just as much as a K20 to get the best out of it, in terms of bhp/tonne it's not as far ahead as most people seem to think, and it looks no-where near as good as a DC5, plus it's a tossers car. :green:

Skyline is a good shout, but they weigh a lot, were talking half a tonne more than a DC5, sure there easy to get more power out off, but then you can have major issues with turbo lag, and major bills for anything that goes bang, not mention the interior is awful. If you wanted to go very fast in a straight line a modded skyline GTR is the way forward........but thats lame.

A weekend car to me would be an Elise, or a S2000, or a Atom, or Caterham, something impractical and excellent fun to drive.
i agree witht that! m3's are not really a special car imo. to common to be special although a m3 csl or e30 m3 are special cars,

and i really like e46 m3's but i could not justify costs of ownership!