Lightened Crank Pulley

JT

Has anyone installed a set in their ITRs? Or know if they're worth the investment? Is it true that it not only provides more power (less transmission loses) but also increases the lifespan of engine parts? Will the alternator be underdriven?

I'm thinking in getting a set....

Thks.

herts62

Doug at Hondata told me they are the weight they are so as to balance the crank and if you fit lightened ones you may shag your crank bearings!

JT

Wow really?!?! :shock: Damn... better leave em be then. Thanks alot man....

non vtec

We had to custom make one for my car, I dont know if it made a difference as the standard one was smashed when I got the motor, but we havent had any problems with it and I rev it out to 8800-9000rpm

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
herts62 said:
Doug at Hondata told me they are the weight they are so as to balance the crank and if you fit lightened ones you may shag your crank bearings!
I think this would only happen if the pulleys arent properly harmonic balanced. Good quality pulleys should never do this. I have a set of AEM ones for my DC5 but I've yet to fit them. I have no worries about fitting them though.
Chris @ FP-HQ

JT

Does it really free up those horses? Or should I put the money somewhere else? How much did you spend on the AEM ones? I'm looking at the pulleys from Unothodox Racing. But they are underdrive pulleys and I read somewhere that you won't get the required alternator output for 'underdrive' pulleys and you could actually overload the alternator. I'm not much of a technical dude so I'd appreciate all the opinions on this.

Thanks!

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
Hi
Yeah they do free up bhp, but not much.
I dont know how much the AEM ones cost cause they're for our show car and just get written off as company expenses.
AEM are also underdrive pulleys.
I've not heard of any of these problems occuring. Both AEM and Unorthadox are massive companies who spend loads on R+D of their products. I wouldnt imagine them selling items which destroy engines or components *shrug*
Chris