Limited Slip Diff

Aly

Advanced Member
Sorry if this is a totaly stupid question but is this standard on a DC5?

logik

Advanced Member
Yeah mate its standard on the DC5, the JDM EP3 but is not standard on the UKDM EP3.

George K

Advanced Member
Yes but it is a gear type which has limited benefits - they don't work once one wheel starts spinning. A plate type is needed for serious competion - check with TGM.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
helical gear type (std) is much easier to drive with , a plate diff (J's, Spoon, Ats etc) make it hard work as the car only wants to go in a straight line :shock:

LA-DC5 ITR

Advanced Member
so when im mid corner and accelerate out of the apex and my steering stiffens up i have to physically pull the wheels back straight, like they are locked in the direction im pointing, instead of centreing themselves like you would expect. is this the traits of the std lsd?

logik

Advanced Member
LA-DC5 ITR said:
so when im mid corner and accelerate out of the apex and my steering stiffens up i have to physically pull the wheels back straight, like they are locked in the direction im pointing, instead of centreing themselves like you would expect. is this the traits of the std lsd?
I have wondered that myself mate.

George K

Advanced Member
All LSD will tend to counteract self centering. Helical type is much easier to live with - plate types are more aggressive and can be hideous when 'parking', but can be tuned by ramp angle and pre-load, or even negative pre-load, to have different characteristics on and off power. Main problem is that as they rely on friction plates, they will inevitably suffer from wear and the amount of locking can reduce quite quickly. I work in the tranmsission business and we have seen this happen in 20 laps in extreme cases.

The ideal FWD diff is very complex, expensive and probably to big to fit in the orignal housing. People such as TGM will have pracrtical experience of the best option - but just remember that what is good on the track will not necessarily be practical to live with on a daily basis. Even the Focus RS, which used the Quaife ATB gear type diff, had a reputation for being difficult at times.

imran

C&S Evo7 said:
helical gear type (std) is much easier to drive with , a plate diff (J's, Spoon, Ats etc) make it hard work as the car only wants to go in a straight line :shock:
disagree with the car wanting to go straight!
its not that much harder to drive over a o.e.m diff, id say its a little clunky when ur parking, pulling out of a junction etc.

the use of correct type of oil along with reg changes ensures the diff makes very little noise.

ive got a kaaz diff, yes it feels a little more driving on the edge but that the feeling the diff gives u.

however by altering ur driving style it will reward you :!:

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
i assume the LSD in the DC5 is the same "type" as in the DC2 yeah? i used to think the cornering my DC2 could handle was amazing :)