Long 6th Gear Fitted

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
I got a long 6th gear fitted in my dc5 last week. I got it fitted as i do a good bit of motorway driving and i figure ill make it back in the long run. 6th gear for me is purely for fuel saving as i dont track it. Icetronix in Dublin fitted it along with engine mount inserts. I've just finished the first tank of fuel and its up 52kms more than ive ever got before so im well happy with it :xgrin: I'll just have to see how it goes for the next few full tanks and average it out. My clocks are in kms as we use them here in ireland. Before i got it changed i noted down the approx revs at certain speeds and then took a reading again with the long 6th (all in kms):
KPH - OLD - NEW
80 - 2500 - 2100
100 - 3200 - 2700
110 - 3500 - 2900
120 - 3800 - 3200
130 - 4100 - 3400
140 - 4500 - 3700

There isnt a huge difference in responsiveness in 6th but i wont be doing the easy overtakes in 6th anymore. Its also a lot quieter on the motorway. Overall im very happy with this mod and I can recommend Icetronix as they did a great job and even cleaned my engine bay and topped up the coolant while they had it xthumbup

I also bought the front poly bushing kit while there and fitted them during the week myself. One of my bushings was very worn so it has tightened up the front a good bit.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Good write-up.
Where's the gear from? Another Honda?
I think dan/coyote may be interested in this..

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I've already got one fitted Mark. I've got the 5.46 MFactory FD with OEM 1-5 and EP3 6th xthumbup

DC5RS

DC5
Thats interesting, how much did it cost? i do a lot of motorway too, and i got a 5.1

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
It cost the bones of €600 all in. I could have saved money by dropping out the box myself but then I'd have had to sort another car out to drop it up in! As far as I know it's the 6th gear from an Accord Type S. Definitely a good mod for anyone who does a lot of mileage in my opinion

DC5RS

DC5
shane_blueteg said:
It cost the bones of €600 all in. I could have saved money by dropping out the box myself but then I'd have had to sort another car out to drop it up in! As far as I know it's the 6th gear from an Accord Type S. Definitely a good mod for anyone who does a lot of mileage in my opinion
mine on 120km/h does 4000 rpm in 6th, when i am on motorway i do 80km/h always @ 2700 rpm

yeah 80 is like not moving but got used to it

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
mine on 120km/h does 4000 rpm in 6th, when i am on motorway i do 80km/h always @ 2700 rpm

yeah 80 is like not moving but got used to it

Probably be worth your while doing something similar so if that's the case!

DC5RS

DC5
shane_blueteg said:
Probably be worth your while doing something similar so if that's the case!
the 6th gear will be very long though, let us know how it goes its a very interesting mod which i might do if the car reacts well

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
Will do. So far I've noticed that if I'm travelling below 60kph I can't use 6th. It's fine once it stays at 60kph or above. But then this doesn't affect me that much!

DC5RS

DC5
shane_blueteg said:
Will do. So far I've noticed that if I'm travelling below 60kph I can't use 6th. It's fine once it stays at 60kph or above. But then this doesn't affect me that much!
Thats not bad, i use 6th on 45-50 kph

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
I used to always drive to work in 6th at 50-55kph but its only 1.5km to work on that stretch anyway.

When I got into the car and started it first time I noticed the vibrations and slight increase in cabin noise. But now I barely notice it at all

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
how do you find the engine mounts inserts? any noisE? vibrations?

You will get more vibration through the cabin, including the steering, more noticeable with the air con on and idling but a map can sort the latter.

integraleo

Advanced Member
With engine mount inserts I can't see anything but a blur out my rear view mirror now,and I've had them in for the last year.

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
Just a quick update...

I am delighted I put in the long 6th! My average mpg has gone from 28 to 33/34! Doesn't sound like much but I'm getting about 70/80kms extra per tank. And it's so much more quiet on the motorway. Definitely can recommend it to anyone doing high mileage

DC5RS

DC5
shane_blueteg said:
Just a quick update...

I am delighted I put in the long 6th! My average mpg has gone from 28 to 33/34! Doesn't sound like much but I'm getting about 70/80kms extra per tank. And it's so much more quiet on the motorway. Definitely can recommend it to anyone doing high mileage
oh my god you killing my wallet

integraleo

Advanced Member
shane_blueteg said:
Just a quick update...I am delighted I put in the long 6th! My average mpg has gone from 28 to 33/34! Doesn't sound like much but I'm getting about 70/80kms extra per tank. And it's so much more quiet on the motorway. Definitely can recommend it to anyone doing high mileage
Interesting this as my gearbox is standard and im easily getting 33-35mpg virtually every tankfull since my car was tuned. My daily commute is a round trip of 24 miles and my car is near as dam it 240bhp. If I open the gearbox in the future to replace the synchros I was going to put a 5.1 final drive in, if I do that I will fit longer 6th to balance it out. Would have that with that combination 6th would be near standard.